Our beloved Ashlee has passed

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Guinevere

Re: Our beloved Ashlee has passed

Postby Guinevere » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Even knowing this was coming, just seeing the words hit me right in the gut. I've been praying her passing would be peaceful and am so thankful that that was so. I'll continue to pray for her family and close friends. Thank you, Marsha, for being a faithful friend and companion to our Ashlee/Judy. You too, Bev! How like her to give herself a totally different personae, probably to not only protect her privacy but to also give her space to be honest about how she was feeling and doing. I hate this disease but am mindful that, through this awful, hateful, (and to steal a phrase from another colon cancer friend I just lost) fickle, sneaky, nasty disease, we're still able to triumph in that we can give friendship and love and encouragement when all cancer can do is destroy. That's all it's good for. However, it hasn't destroyed our affection for each other and the ones we've already lost.

God bless ~
Gwen (my real name :wink: )
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:52 pm

My dear friends,

I just went to check my e-mail and can't explain how I felt when I saw an e-mail from Judy. Upon reading it, I realized I had to share it with you all, and I realized that well, of course she would have arranged to have this sent out. She included many beautiful photos in the e-mail. I so wish they had copied over when I pasted this.

Bev : here is a link to a slideshow of all the photos, in the same order as they appear in her email
Ashlee's pictures

To All My Great Friends,

If you receive this e-mail, then you will know that cancer is finally dead and my new address is Heaven. I would like you to know I "finished the race" and not "lost the fight". There will be no funeral or service. I chose to be cremated and have my ashes deposited off Newport Beach. As most of you know, I had a love for Catalina Island and now I can float on over there and be part of the island.

Your love and support was very much appreciated during this journey. Cancer is such an ugly disease. I had no symptoms, and we found the cancer by accident when my gallbladder decided to act up. Unfortunately, by that time I was already Stage IV. If I had a colonoscopy in my 40's, maybe it would have only been a Stage 1 and easily cured. So, if you haven't already, I encourage you all to have a colonoscopy. So many people in their 30's are now being diagnosed with colon cancer. It is 100% curable if you catch it early.

I had a wonderful life and experienced things most people just dream about. I was born in Chicago, Illinois. At age 2 1/2 my family moved to California and I grew up in Lakewood. I attended college at CSU, Los Angeles and earned my B.S. degree in Business Education. For 11 years, I worked at the Walt Disney Company - starting at Club 33 and ending up as a Talent Booking Assistant in the Entertainment Department. I was "right-sized' from that job and found an incredible group of people to work with - Brea P.D. As many of you know, for the past 10-15 years I started to travel and explore the world. It really opened my mind to new experiences and I'm so glad I did it while I was still healthy. The Netherlands (my favorite Country), Germany, Paris, and Switzerland. In the U.S./Canada - Niagara Falls, Tennessee, driving up Hwy 1 to San Francisco, Hershey, PA, Buffalo NY, Hailey/Sun Valley Idaho, Gettysburg, and of course my Catalina Island...all such lovely places.

Please don't be sad - celebrate my life. I now have eternal life with God. I am happy.

Don't Grieve For Me
Author: Unknown
Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free;
I'm following the path God laid for me.
I took His hand when I heard Him call;
I turned my back and left it all.

I could not stay another day,
To laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way;
I found that place at the close of day.

If my parting has left a void,
then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss;
Ah yes, these things, I too, will miss.

Be not burdened with times of sorrow;
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, I savored much;
Good friends, good times, a loved ones touch.

Perhaps my time seemed all too brief;
Don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me;
God wanted me now, He set me free.

Love to all of you! - Judy

And now a word from Marsha Dell about my passing....

Judy and I have laughed and cried throughout this journey. Her last days were in the comfort of her home. Your friendship, prayers, and love were her strength. Judy endured more pain than any one person should have to face, but she did it with dignity and strength. Rest assured she was at peace. She had planned her final vacation and was excited to view the splendor of heaven. She loved each of you and treasured the moments you shared. She lives on in our hearts and memories. Love, Marsha
Last edited by CRguy on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Link added for photos
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

live2jett
Facebook Username: debbie jett

Postby live2jett » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:54 pm

When aka Ashlee told me her name was Judy a long time ago...I smiled. Judy to me was a witty and smart lady. She sent me a beautiful wood book marker with butterflies and her real name on it. The quote of "Above all, What matters is not to lose the JOY of living in the fear of dying."

She sent me this after I gave her the Encore Rock and Roll medal for running 2 1/2 marathons in one year...she was so happy to get her medal. I think that her passing has brought me back to the beginning of my journey with colon club....My thoughts of despair and panic after being diagnosed were to much..to meet her and call her my Stranger friend...was the beginning of my love for this awesome support group....

I will miss our emails...I will miss her post..I will miss our friendship...

Judy ( i know you are throwing a fit by seeing your real name used lol) you brought so much knowledge to this group...you made peeps feel special and validated...thank you for being the gift of pure joy to us....

Judy: Debbie do you see the snow in the mountains from San Diego? I love to see the snow in the mountains....

Debbie : May your heaven have beautiful snowy mountains my friend xoxo
DX 10-21-08 Advanced stage IIIC T3 N2 M0
10/20 nodes pos.
Colon resect surgery 11-03-08
chemo 12-03-08 Folfox4 3 rounds
Xeloda 5 rounds(due to leucovorin shortage/severe reaction with oxi)
Carpe Diem NED Update 2014

live2jett
Facebook Username: debbie jett

Postby live2jett » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:55 pm

OMGosh bev...just read you last post....tears....I love how she gave us a final post ...love you friend
DX 10-21-08 Advanced stage IIIC T3 N2 M0
10/20 nodes pos.
Colon resect surgery 11-03-08
chemo 12-03-08 Folfox4 3 rounds
Xeloda 5 rounds(due to leucovorin shortage/severe reaction with oxi)
Carpe Diem NED Update 2014

janklo
Facebook Username: JanetKlostermann

Postby janklo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Wow Ashlee/Judy! I am so honored we got to hear your story. I will always remember you and think of all your wise advice and your great attitude about living and dying. I hope you and Lauren meet in Heaven, I told her all about you. We'll see you again someday!
Mom to 28 yo daughter
colectomy 2/22/10, stage 3C, signet cell
7/2011 peritoneal mets
HIPEC September 2012, difficult recovery
Hospice 10/31/2012, Died 11/16/2012

orcasres

Postby orcasres » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Mourning but so glad for a peaceful and painless ending.
63 yo F
Colon resection Sept. 2010
pT3N0M0 Stage 2A
Medullary Tumor 6.5cm long
Lymphovascular invasion
Lynch negative
12 FOLFOX 11/2010 to 5/2011 8 w/Oxi
NED so far

chrissyrice

Postby chrissyrice » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:37 pm

Oh Judy, Judy, Judy!
- Cary Grant

Thank you so much for allowing your story to be shared here.

And just say hello to my dear friend Connie in heaven; you will love her... very much like you.
DX 10-31-09 Surgery 12-1-09 Sigmoid Colon
Stage IIIb T3,N2,MX; Chemo Feb 2010-Aug 2010; 4 rounds Folfox; 8 rounds 5FU +LV
12/2010 PET/CT Scan, Cancer Free
7/2012 CT Scan NED 2 years
10/2013 NED 3 years
8/2014 NED 4 years
Recurrence 6/2015: iliac lymph node(s)
8/2015 Surgery: 3 cm tumor removed+iliac artery graft
3/2016 CT Scan Stable
6/2016 Stable
9/2016 Stable
12/2016 Stable
3/2017 Stable
Recurrence 6/2017
12/2017 Surgery removed all cancer w/ clean margins
07-27-2018 Cancer-free for 7 months

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:55 pm

Dear sweet Ashley, fly,fly high up to the angels.

:cry:
Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:12 pm

That "last post" is a fitting memory for Ashlee and typical of how she wanted to do things : speak to us after she had left.
I say that in part because the current format for our In Memoriam topics which start anew each year, were basically influenced by a couple of conversations we had early on.

Ashlee was concerned if every new In Memoriam post lead to a whole discussion inside the topic, individual notices would just keep getting swallowed up and "lost" down the thread. Her vision was having more of a Memorial Wall type posting where just the notifications would be kept together and any individual's personal topics or threads would be linked from there. Everyone would be given their own honour and all the topics would be available for others to contribute to.

I agreed with her and we have run the In Memoriam that way ever since. So, now, when you read another inscription on our own Memorial Wall you can also know that Ashlee is still there in spirit.

Bev, if you need a hand getting the photos online PM me.
In Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Kathleen808

Postby Kathleen808 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:22 pm

Bev,

Thank you for sharing Ashlee's last post. Tears flow that she is still sharing and giving to us. I knew she shared a doctor with DH in So Cal but did not know that we both at one time worked at Disney and that she worked at the town right next to the town I grew up in. How very special that she shared a part of her story with us. I think the tears will flow for many of us for a long time.

Aloha,
Kathleen
Kathleen
DH 1/09 3c 51yr rsct
Folfx 3/09
1 l nd 9/09 Flfri Avstn
PET clr 6/10
Folfri Avstn 7/10
ND 10/10
1/11 lng mets Flfri Avastn
ND 2/12
9/12 Flfri Avastn
10/12 grwth lng mts Erbtx Avstn Irintcn
1/13 stabl
9/13 grwth
8/16/14 passed into eternal peace

carrie

Postby carrie » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:19 am

So very sad. Another beautiful soul gone. Love and hugs to you Bev. Thinking of you.
Karen.
Diagnosed March 3/2013 Rectal cancer
T1N0MX 15 nodes biopsied, none positive
Lymphovascular invasion present/moderate
July 9/2013 ultra-low anterior resection
Temp ileostomy
Rectum removed
2 liver lesions- probable cysts
Probable cyst on spleen
Hernia.

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:08 am

Heartbreaking...... but so happy it was peaceful and pain free. Rest in Peace Judy!
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:38 am

Thank you Ashlee...to me you will forever be Ashlee :wink: , and I thank you for all your words before...and now. I am grieving for the recent loss of my best friend, and for whatever the reason...reading your words gave me comfort...what a gift you shared over the years, and even in your passing.

You will be missed, but I know where ever you are...you will be welcomed...
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:24 am

RIP to a great woman.

I grew up watching Bewitched so I always smiled when I saw her avatar. I hope that I have 1/100 of the strength and bravery she had.

Bev G wrote:I just went to check my e-mail and can't explain how I felt when I saw an e-mail from Judy. Upon reading it, I realized I had to share it with you all, and I realized that well, of course she would have arranged to have this sent out. She included many beautiful photos in the e-mail. I so wish they had copied over when I pasted this.

Thanks so much for posting this. It was great to read.

If you wanted to get the images posted you would probably have to save copies on your computer, upload them to an image hosting site such as imgur.com, and then link to them in a post.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:52 am

Ii took down Ashlee last e-mail to me, as some of you may have noticed. I just didn't want any flak about it. This was after Jaynee told me that some new poster had complained to her that I posted Ashlee's name. I so don't want any unnecessary turmoil/drama of any kind associated with Ashlee's passing. If one of the moderators tells me it's OK, I'll put it back.

xox
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”