watching the World Cup...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
skypup

Re: watching the World Cup...

Postby skypup » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:24 pm

lohidoc wrote:
Skypup wrote:just make it your avatar, doc! dare ya! :wink:

I tried, image size too small!

And the winner for Best Comeback of the Year: lohidoc!

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:55 pm

The biggest source of income is not so much the fans watching the games, it is TV rights, merchandizing, doing well in the championship league (the deeper they go, the more money they get) and selling players at a profit.

Yes, agree, but without the fan base, at least in the USA, the TV networks don't want to cover the matches, the merchandizing isn't there because, well, as the corporations see it, no fans, no interest, no merchandise. It's been difficult at best to find networks that will cover MLS matches. Sure, ESPN covers the WC matches but very rarely do they cover an MLS game....unless it is a high profile one. Most are covered by local networks with the occasional NBCSports or ESPN coverage. Recent polls have indicated that soccer is more popular with kids than say baseball, but, kids don't spend money on tickets, jerseys, etc. This is the first time in a long time (probably since the Olympics) that I have seen players like Dempsey endorsing any type of product. Even when you walk into a Dick's Sporting Goods or a Sports Authority, the soccer section, even with the WC going on, just doesn't jump out at you.

I can tell you that in cities like Seattle, we have a tremendous fan base AND we have the support & 'parternship' with our NFL Seahawks club. Until recently, the two clubs had a partnership that included sharing employees as well as back office operations. I'm not sure, however, how many clubs have that same participation from other professional sports teams in their respective cities. While that may not seem like a huge deal, at least in Seattle, it is nice to see Sounders players in the boxes at Seahawk's games supporting them and seeing Seahawk players at the Sounders game. It's just a nice 'boost' to know that both teams not only share the same stadium but support each other.

Whatever happens, the amount of coverage and exposure that soccer is receiving due to the World Cup is definitely warranted and welcome. It can only help increase the understanding and love for the game and dispel the myths that soccer is somehow a 'sissy' sport (I've heard that enough times....argh!)

Just finished watching the Australia v Netherlands game. I really felt for the Australian side.....to know that all that they did to get to the WC and watch their time now be at an end. It must be extremely difficult to play that final game, knowing that no matter how well you play, no matter how much heart you pour into the game.....you won't be going on and that your time at this WC is at an end.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

lohidoc

Postby lohidoc » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:22 pm

All of that is true, and it is a shame. Trouble is, football just is not an American game. There is only a limited fan base. Most football fans in the US are immigrant based, so they will support their country of origin, be interested in the league of their home country, all of which you can see on line or special channels.

Also, the organization is different in Europe. These clubs are over a hundred years old, have a rich history, generation after generation of supporters. If you want to play football in, say, Holland, you join the club as a youngster (of course the big clubs are very selective). And players will then come up through the youth program, and there is a huge social aspect as well. So the fan base is right there, from the bottom up.

This as opposed to some rich guy buying a franchise and setting up in Kansas or wherever and expect a solid fan base. And then he sells and the whole thing moves to Minneapolis. It just isn't there. Youth soccer of course is immensely popular but there is no route to the high levels. It's all about the kids enjoying themselves, having a good time and being active, for the most part anyway. And having coached here in Canada I can say the skill level at all ages just does not compare to other parts of the world. You don't get the burning passion by having the most expensive boots, being ferried around by your mum and have your parents say "good kick" when a player hits a meaningless ball up field.

You learn football on the sandy pitches in Africa, barefeet, or the shanty towns in Brazil, or street football in Holland. It's a working class game, a way out of poverty for the exceptionally talented.

But what a cracker of a game against Australia! Holland were lucky, I think the aussies had the best of it. But the aussies won't mind, they knew they had very little hope of going through. A young team, still being constructed, and they gave a real good showing. I think they will go like the clappers against Spain, and watch out for these guys in four years time.

Jeez, it is good to talk about something other than cancer.
"Half of what I know is wrong. I don't know which half."

Age 56
Dx 19/7/11
R. hemicolectomy 25/7/11
IIIc, 7 / 23 nodes,
no mets
Folfox 21/8/11
CT Scan 6/3/12 NED
CT Scan 21/6/12 30+ lung mets, 2 retroperitoneal tumours
marcdu4.wordpress.com

stu

Postby stu » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:39 pm

Iohidoc,
Your analysis of European football made me laugh. Honestly I have always said they pick their football team at nursery and that is the way it stays. Being Scottish we are free to pick our teams this year and my husband and boys are all giving a commentary on every game they watch. Think I will slip out and read my book. :D
Enjoy everyone.
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:57 pm

The Aussies could have won against the Dutch - so close! The Socceroos did well! It was on at midnight here. Enjoy the games everyone!
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

jscho

Postby jscho » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:00 pm

Youth soccer of course is immensely popular but there is no route to the high levels. It's all about the kids enjoying themselves, having a good time and being active, for the most part anyway. And having coached here in Canada I can say the skill level at all ages just does not compare to other parts of the world.

Lohidoc, to continue the conversation on something other than cancer, my youngest son (12 yrs old) is an avid player and I must say that the level of football at his academy is quite good and comparable to what we experienced when living in France, which has a reputable development system. I agree that the problem with the lack of infrastructure and the emphasis on winning at the youth level does interfere with development of fundamental skills, but there are quite a few academies now in Ontario (as there are in the States) that emphasize "long term development" (if interested, see http://www.academysoccer.ca ).

At the youngest ages (say 7-12), the kids in Europe aren't noticeably superior. The differences are more evident at the older ages where North Americans are hindered by the lack of regular, suitable competition and the support of professional teams. The academy leagues in England, Spain and the Netherlands that allow older teens to become professionals just don't exist. The great travel distances in Canada and the US make it virtually impossible to start such programs even if the professional teams did exist (the MLS academies do have a league, though they aren't yet comparable to those in Europe).

Anyhow, my teams are France and the US (and Canada) - my kids are citizens of all these countries.

Good health and world cup viewing,
Jeremy
Colon cancer dx Feb. 24, 2009, T3/N2/M0
Right Hemicolectomy Feb. 26, 2009
Stage 3C: 4/19 positive nodes
High grade adenocarcinoma with tumor budding
FOLFOX6 April 15 - Oct. 1, 2009
Elective sub-total colectomy July 3, 2012 due to 2 DALMs
Currently NED

carrie

Postby carrie » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:51 pm

Fell asleep way before Aus v Netherlands game started :( Saw highlights of game on the early news... looks like it would have been an awesome game to watch! Congratulations Lohidoc, best team won on the day and thank you for the kind words and interest in the Socceroos. All the best for your team.. hope they go all the way! :D
Karen.
Diagnosed March 3/2013 Rectal cancer
T1N0MX 15 nodes biopsied, none positive
Lymphovascular invasion present/moderate
July 9/2013 ultra-low anterior resection
Temp ileostomy
Rectum removed
2 liver lesions- probable cysts
Probable cyst on spleen
Hernia.

pog451
Facebook Username: andrew.morgan

Postby pog451 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:12 am

Speaking as one of the few Europeans here I have to admit I cant stand football/soccer (although I'm not a big sports fan whichever way you turn it) and wouldn't have watched a second of the world cup if my daughter hadn't wanted to watch Germany/Portugal.

Among European guys, football is an unexplainable religion. Among girls, the following link am explain why its popular...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattbellassai/r ... y-be-the-h
09.11 Dx @ 46, uT3uN1M0 G2
11.11 radio+Xeloda
01.12 LAR
03.12 Xeloda
09.12 Liver mets, 2 LN
09.12 Folfox+Avastin
02.13 Resection
04.13 Folfox & Avastin
11.13 Local recurrence
02-07.14 FOLFIRINOX
08.14 Re-rediation
Left us 28.05.2015

skypup

Postby skypup » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:56 am

Thinking of you right now, Maia!

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:59 am

I am one of the few European girls here and I am watching football (okay it is mostly because of the three "men " in my family. I am loking forward to the game Germany/Ghana :mrgreen:

Nice pics, but the German team doesn´t only exist of babyfaces. We still have the grandfather Miroslav Klose.

And how says foorball isn´t attractiv for Ladies. Did you see the team og Uruquay with their slim fit shirts 8)
nov. 2011 RC Stage 3
dec. 2011 lap. rectumresection, temp. ileo.
jan.-june 2012 FLOX
aug. 2012 ileo. rev.
jan, sept 2013 surg. for livermet
june 2014 local recurrence + PC, FOFIRI/Avastin june-dec. break
june 2015 surg. for colon blockage

lohidoc

Postby lohidoc » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:37 pm

You ladies make me smile. I thought chemo was supposed to knock out your ovaries????

Congrats Maia, but how close was that!

And I love the Ghana result. If you go to those countries you will see that all those boys (not the girls) play football all the time. They walk to school barefoot, on a dirt track, and they have created something like a ball from pieces of cloth, rubber and rope and that's what they kick around, to and from school, recess, after school etc.

No grass, no goals, no shoes or jerseys or proper balls, no coaches, no referees, no popsicles at half time, just love and passion for the game. So it is good to see these guys get a result against the carefully coiffed Germans (with apologies to Pog).
"Half of what I know is wrong. I don't know which half."

Age 56
Dx 19/7/11
R. hemicolectomy 25/7/11
IIIc, 7 / 23 nodes,
no mets
Folfox 21/8/11
CT Scan 6/3/12 NED
CT Scan 21/6/12 30+ lung mets, 2 retroperitoneal tumours
marcdu4.wordpress.com

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:58 pm

OMG - what a wild and awesome game!
This group truly is WIDE OPEN.

Well, on to the next game......heartbreaking last few seconds though.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

skypup

Postby skypup » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:37 pm

I am a convert -- what a great game!

And, doc, the ovaries may be irradiated to kingdom come, but life is short so we might as well enjoy, right? :wink:

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”