Colon Ca spread to bone??

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
SusieQ

Colon Ca spread to bone??

Postby SusieQ » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:51 pm

I was diagnosed with Stage IV Colon Ca back in December 2000. I have been fighting it with surgeries, chemotherapies, radiation treatments, homeopathic medicine, etc. etc. My questions/concern now is I reacently had a MRI done on my right knee because of some pain. The orthopedic surgeon originally thought it was a strained ligament. The Dr. called me on Friday 6/16 to tell me the MRI showed a "spot" on the femur! Yikes! I asked if I should be worried because of my cancer history, the Dr. is not sure. The Dr. did say it is a "good" sign that my pain has gone away since the MRI. I am very worried. I just feel I have not had much good luck regarding this disease. I currently am doing Xeloda and Avastin.
Does any one have any experience with Colon Ca spreading to the bone? Where did it spread to? What did you do? I really appreaciate any information/support any one can give me.
Thanks!
SusieQ

christy217

Postby christy217 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:45 pm

I haven't had experience personally, myself, however, my mom passed of this disease 8 years ago, I was diagnosed in Feb 06 with stage IIa at 29, and yesterday my father had surgery for colon cancer too, go figure!

Anywho, my mom's spread to her bone, but she was initially a stage IIa, and since this is genetic in our family, she should have had a total colectomy, the genetics stuff is relatively new, but they didn't know that 8 years ago, so she had ressection after ressection, with genetic cc, you have a greater chance of reoccurance. The cancer mets to the bone after she had her last surgery, her brother who passed too, his also went to the bone, but with my mom, it was her coccyx and her brother it was his back.

I would think if it spreads to the bones, that it would go to the spine first, but that's just my opinion.

I hope everything is fine for you and this is just a fluke thing. Heck, with just being stage iia, i constantly wonder now, if every little pain I get is cancer, so I know how you feel.

Good luck!

Christy
My Blog:
http://www.cdcafe.blogspot.com

Image Drew Wonka-our furbaby

bradyr

stage iv and met to bone

Postby bradyr » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:18 pm

I'm stage iv with met to the liver and I also had met to the the bone from my knee to the midpoint of my lower leg.

the discomfort in my knee started about 6 months ago and gradually the pain got worse. It was actualy the only real symptom I had. I had bleeding toward the end, but this was made worse by the 6 of 7 advil/aleve I was taking each day by then for the leg.

While i was in the hosptial for the colon resection (which went fine). They still hadn't made the connection with the leg. In fact at one point (the last day in the hosptial, my surgen had asked for a consult from a orthapedic surgen, who at the time believed it was a torn meniscus. He said something that proved ironic "the one thing that it's highly unlikely to be is colon cancer - colon cancer hardly ever goes below the knee"

they did an MRI and discovered it was cancer. did a biospy and discovered it was the colon cancer. I had 10 radiation treatments (a month ago) which seem to have helped quite a bit - the pain is almost completey gone and I can walk on it (with a little pain).

I have an follow up MRI next week for the leg.

I've been on chemo for 8 weeks now (flofox6 - 5fu, levecorun, oxiplatin) _ avastin. I have my first follow up CT scan of my liver in two weeks. I hope to see some progress.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”