Colon cancer mets to Ovary

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Tamera

Colon cancer mets to Ovary

Postby Tamera » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:28 pm

I had my two month follow up after end of chemo in the beginning of May. I had a clear PET CT scan in Nov, so I was expecting my tumor marker levels to be normal.

(review: originally dx 5/20/2013. Tumor removed along with 18" of colon, some intestines and appendix. Tumor deposits were seen, no nodes or other mets. 12 rounds of folfox followed due to tumor deposits)

Unfortunately, my cea marker numbers went from around 7 to 65 :(. Oncologist ordered a new PET CT scan. I had that done on 5/15. Results were discussed on 5/19. Huge mass (14.5cm x 7cm x5cm) in my pelvic area...he couldnt even see where it was attached. He seemed in shock and said to immediately make a pre surgical consult with my surgeon. No reason to biopsy, just get it out.

I had a problem with my insurance no longer contracting wirh my preferred Surgeon and hospital. A week after the resuts, I was beginning to feel more uncomfortable, and I was bleeding vaginally. I went to the ER of my hospital of choice. After a ton of tests, they said they had bad news, I was going to be admitted, and they were scheulling surgey ASAP. I was very pleased:)

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on 5/29. They removed both ovaries, both tubes, my uterus, cervix and omentum. The right ovary completely contained the tumor that had grown to a whopping 18 x 7 x 3. I was released on Monday june 2nd. The surgeon said "It looks great in there! No signs of cancer anywhere.". No lymph node involvement, no kidney, kiver or lung mets. The pathology report came back as Colon Cancer metastasis to the Ovary. The cellular make up pf nboth tumors were near identical. Apparaently very rare.

So im a week and four days post op, I feel pretty good in comparison to my resection.

I have an oncology consult next Tuesday to discuss more chemo.

So my question is this - I scared myself looking at survival rates last night. Most say less than a year....is that without surgery? I know its just a number, and I do have faith that I am not ths number. I feel pretty damn good....

Tam
5/20/13. Emerg bowel obstruction surgery - removed 18" of colon, perf intestines, appendix, 2" tumor. Dx colon cancer st3, no lymph nodes, two tumor deposits were found.
8/20/13 start chemo. 5fu, oxaliplantin and leucovorin
5/2014. Hige ovarian tumor, total abd hysterectomy; six more months FOLFIRI
11/2015. Two liver lesions. Feb 2016 exploratory lap
3/9. HIPEC. Results to be determined

Icesk8tr

Re: Colon cancer mets to Ovary

Postby Icesk8tr » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:18 am

Tamera,
Don't look at survival rates. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy almost 3 years ago. I had a huge tumor on my ovary that grew very fast. Hang in there. Sending positive thought your way :D

Christine
Stage IV CC 2010

Nester

Postby Nester » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:49 am

HI Tamera,

Can't predict how it will be going, every cancer is different (depends on how fast it is growing, how invasive it is, where are the mets...)
Looking at stats will not exactly predict how it will be.

There are buddies here who after resection got cured, others not.

Anyway, for everyone, cured people, ill people, or healthy people, sometime, someday something bad will happen for sure.
Past is something we remember, but we can't live, future is something we can predict, we can just LIVE the present now.

I know it is not easy to deal with this disease, if you think it might help ask for some sedative to your doc to help you deal with this battle with more serenity and less anxiety.

A big hug.

M.
Diag @ 30yo St IV 12/11 Appdx crcnma (mets to peri)
12/11 2x Colectomy (1 HIPEC)
2/12 - 7/12 CAPOX
2/12 - 5/13 NED
5/13 Explorative Surgery (1 small nodule found)
9/13 Start FOLFIRI
10/13 Obstruction - Surgery + Colostomy
1/14-6/14
Life @ sunset

CM35

Postby CM35 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:30 am

I had an ovarian tumor, it was first identified in 01/13 (missed dx), and I am still kicking 17 months later. I had my tumor resected, both ovaries were removed in February. I am basically NED now, and feel great, despite a steady diet of chemo. I try to worry little about the stats, they are usually old and someone else's story.
stg IV 4/2013 @34 - liver, ovary/peritoneum
Lots of chemo, surgery and good luck - still doing well 03/2016...

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:46 am

That's the PITA part about this whole cancer thing. The mix of knowledge, statistics, and uncertain future is MADDENING. It's a twisted web of realities that we all have to deal with. That's exactly why I have that loose quote at the end of my signature. Worrying about it just lets the cancer win. Remind yourself of that every time you start to worry about it, and you can train your brain to stop.

Glad it was all contained INSIDE the ovary and that it was cleanly resected. That will help you out a bunch in the whole survival stats calculations.
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:26 pm

Still here, EIGHT YEARS after original dx of colon cancer with liver and ovarian mets. Had colon resection in June of 06, followed by 4 rounds of chemo, then had hysterectomy and liver resection, followed by more chemo. All those parts don't seem to be a bother, but at the time of dx, there were also some spots on the lungs that the docs weren't sure about. By late 2007, they were sure that those spots were CC mets, and that's been my issue for 7 years. I've done chemo, one clinical trial, radiation, and am getting ready to start another trial. However, I have more good days than bad days, and my family still acts like they need me around, so I continue to fight.
I know it is frightening that the tumor in the ovary grew that quickly. In my own case, a GYN had called mine an ovarian cyst (the same week as the CC dx) and didn't seem that concerned. Six weeks later when I went to MD Anderson for a liver surgery consult, they noticed the ovary on the CT scan and said "highly questionable." Three months later, when I was back at MDA for the liver surgery, they said, "oh, BTW, we're doing a hysterectomy too. Looks like at least one ovary has CC mets." Turns out both did, and I was very shocked, since I too was on chemo while this ovary was getting larger.
Glad to hear the tumor was contained so well, because that definitely seems to move things in your favor. Unfortunately, more chemo probably is in the picture, and I would expect more followup for at least the first couple of years: CT every 3-4 months, CEA every 2 months or so.
Like your attitude that you are not a number. Neither am I.
Hang in there. We'll be here if you need us.
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

Tamera

Postby Tamera » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:32 am

Thankyou for the wonderful responses!

I feel very optimistic :)

Im wondering whether to get a second opinion from City of Hope, as well as my current oncologist. I wonder how that tumor could grow so rapidly while undergoing chemo, unless my oncologist missed it in November.
5/20/13. Emerg bowel obstruction surgery - removed 18" of colon, perf intestines, appendix, 2" tumor. Dx colon cancer st3, no lymph nodes, two tumor deposits were found.
8/20/13 start chemo. 5fu, oxaliplantin and leucovorin
5/2014. Hige ovarian tumor, total abd hysterectomy; six more months FOLFIRI
11/2015. Two liver lesions. Feb 2016 exploratory lap
3/9. HIPEC. Results to be determined

Ravin17

Postby Ravin17 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:01 am

Hi Tamera,

It is nice to see that you are full of positive attitudes and hope. That solves the problem by half. It is always good to get a second opinion from a well known medical oncologist.

I have a suggestion, pl , if time permits, get a Pharmacogenetic Assay, before starting any chemo/targeted therapy,as this will give you the best medication option suited to your profile, save valuable time, money and reduce the ADRs (adverse drug reactions).

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”