Diagnosed at 16 with Colorectal Cancer and beat the odds

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Harleymans Mom

Diagnosed at 16 with Colorectal Cancer and beat the odds

Postby Harleymans Mom » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:50 pm

Hello to all;
I want to give a story of encouragement. My oldest son Darrick was diagnosed with colorectal cancer 1 week after his 16th birthday.
Let me back up.... this is to all the YOUNG kids out there.... if you have something going on TELL YOUR PARENTS.......
June of 1987 Darrick had chicken pox and we moved in July and he did alot of work around the new house so that fact that he was pale I just attributed to the fact he was overdoing it. I did notice he was "homesteading" in the bathroom alot but he said he was fine so I left it at that. Well September rolls around and it was the year that the Pope was in Los Angeles, I read something in the paper and wanted to verify it in Darricks bible, it had a reference section. I have 5 kids and all were in school. I know he kept it in his dresser so I went looking for it, well in the bottom drawer I found a horrendous sight.... blood soaked underwear.... lots of pairs..... I panicked. I contacted his school that I would be picking him up in a while, we lived 35 miles from his school. I made arrangements for my other kids and went and got Darrick. He got in my car and I said I was taking him to the doctor... he started to cry and said that God .... I asked him WHY he did not tell me something was wrong... he was SCARED... but did pray the night before for some help and he felt this was his answer. Well this was friday and he had lost 1/2 his blood supply , that is why he was so pale, and as the doctor said a very sick young man. He was admitted that day to the hopsital and they did their test and scheduled surgery for Sunday later postponed to Monday. I was told the worst.... He had 1 tumor 1/2 inch into his colon that they could not send the scope anyfarther, but when there is one there are more I was told. The xrays showed a mishaped liver and they thought it had gotten to there also. The diagnosis was " do surgery, radiation and chemo and they could give him 3 months, he would be gone by Christmas." I remember asking" after all that only 3 months" and they said yes. I don't remember much after that because they sedated me. When I could realize what was happening again my focus was "How do I help my Son die?" Well surgery was 4 hours not 6, when the Doctor came out he looked funny so I was scared. He said and I will never forget" We don't know what happened in there but there was only 1 tumor the size of a silver dollar and nothing else. " They took out 3 feet of colon and the sphinter muscle and his liver is just a weird shape no tumors. " Something happened in there and I don't know what but if you believe in a higher being he had a hand in it" is what the surgeon told us.
It was a struggle for my son to have a colostomy at 16, girls made fun of him, they can be so mean. He is now a wonderful 35 year old healthy man. In fact as I write this he is upstate New York with the Colon Club shotting the 2007 colondar. He is one of the models, he was contacted by someone when they read his article in WebMD Magazine where he thanked his doctors. My son will tell you he knows GOD saved him for something and for years he kept his condition to himself and a few people but now due to the calendar all his co worker know and he is not afraid to let people hear his story. He spoke to his girlfriend lastnight , they live in Corpus Christi, and he said this trip is theraputic, he has never been around people young people with the same condition and he can relate. I thank this organization for the efforts and help. My son is a wonderful person and a positive role model in his community. He will help kids with Cancer anytime they want to talk.
My point of this long post is to say... Don't give up..... I son should be dead but is not... I have been on a emotional rollercoaster ride with him because of this disease. I can not understand what he or you feel or felt but as a parent I can relate there. My other kids can relate to thinking that their brother was dying and how to handle that. Our second son Jason, his comment when he was told his brothers illness...." I always wanted to be the oldest and him to be gone but not to die". I think this is something alot of people can relate to. God Bless all of you. I hope this is a post of encouragement to you.
Ilona

harleymans mom

cancer cluster

Postby harleymans mom » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:03 pm

Let me add I have fought with the state of California for a while about this. I believe that Darrick's cancer was part of a cluster that was going on in the high desert of Southern Califonia. This was around the Erin Brockovich time and there was a cluster in Ridgecrest California. I was told Darrick could not be included since no other children had colon cancer and he lived just outside the line they drew for the cluster cancer kids.
Also a few weeks after Darricks surgery his doctor did a similar sergery on a girl of 16 same area. Happy to report she is also fine and the Mother of 4. We heard this from the doctor.

Terry Miller

Darrick

Postby Terry Miller » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:56 am

Hi H-mom,
I just spent the weekend rooming with Darrick at Lake George. He's one great "kid". I was the oldest one there so everyone was a "kid". We had a wonderful time with the rest of our new friends. There was much laughter and many tears throughout the weekend. Darrick's story was not of tragedy, but of utter triumph. Your pride in him is not only deserved but truly beautiful. I never thought there would be a day I'd be hugging a biker and telling him I loved him. I gained 23+ new brothers and sisters this weekend. I am so glad that Darrick is now a part of my "family".
Sincerely,
Terry

P.S. Ask Darrick about my 3:00 a.m. monologue.

Harleyman

thanks mom. lol

Postby Harleyman » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:36 pm

hello all. yes this is my mom. everyone be sure to say hi now. lol. after reading this post my mother posted. she seems to remeber alot more thenm i do about my cancer. in any case. thanks mom. almost 19 years and still going strong. keep on trucking and you can contact me whenever you all want. takl to you all later. love and peace. and MOM love ya.

Dean

Harleyman

Postby Dean » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:07 pm

I just want to say that Darrick was my roommate at the colondar shoot and he is a great inspiration as are all the models. We laughed, we cried, but most of all we all came together as a family...

Bob Baker

Harleyman

Postby Bob Baker » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:26 am

Dear Harleyman`s Mom,
I was Darricks other roommate for the colondar weekend. It`s a wonderful thing when a son makes his Mom proud. As well you should be. Derrick is and inspiration to us all. As a recent ostomate myself (2.5 yrs.) I appreciated his warm and wonderful attitude about living with his ostomy.
He Rocks.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Bob Baker

Harleyman

Postby Harleyman » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:44 am

just for the record. i did alot of laughing. dont remeber to much crying from me anyway. lol

Harleyman

Postby Harleyman » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:49 am

keeping up the fight. cant wait to see the calander. it will come out in the month that celebrates my 19th year. ROCK AND ROLL

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:06 am

Hey Darrick! Not to make you salivate or anything, but it looks AWESOME! Such a bunch of hotties you all are!!!

Can't wait for you to see it!
xo,

Harleyman

Postby Harleyman » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:39 pm

saw the preview. 10 thumbs way up. great job. i was salivating it looked so good.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”