Wow - Results!!!!!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
suemarie
Facebook Username: sue.marie

Wow - Results!!!!!

Postby suemarie » Fri May 30, 2014 10:17 am

Hi there,

I walked into the meeting with the surgeon today to get my husband's biopsy and CT scan results with a hopeful yet frightened heart. Although his doctor did say that 'even it it's benign it has to come out' he also rushed him into tests and talked about the possibility of chemo and radiation and of course the nurse told me privately that it was cancer and that the CT scan would show if it's spread elsewhere and it was in a good place for removal. She said they can tell by sight that it's cancer.

So we sit down and the surgeon said to my husband, "Why do you think you're here?" Mike said "Because I have a tumor". And the doctor said, "Okay, we'll discuss that later" and he took my husband's medical history which took a while due to my husband's multi medical issues. Then he asked me to leave so he could examine him which took about 2 seconds.

Then he said that the CT scan showed nothing - the tumor did not show up at all and that the biopsies showed NO cancer. But he said that the tumor might just be small and that it could still be cancerous if the biopsies were taken from the outside of it because there still could be cancer at the base of it. So everything was inconclusive so his strategy is to re-do the colonoscopy next Thursday so he can take a look at it himself and see if he can take out the tumor or mass and/or do some biopsies. Because of my husband's heart issues, he wants to spare him surgery so if he can't take it out he said one of his colleagues might be able to without surgery.

So that's our next step - another colonoscopy next Thursday.

Wow - has this happened to anyone else that the CT scan shows nothing?

So I'm now cautiously optimistic that if it is cancer it might be an early stage????

Any thoughts?
Sue

exaussie

Re: Wow - Results!!!!!

Postby exaussie » Fri May 30, 2014 10:28 am

Sounds like you have a lot to be happy about to me!
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Fri May 30, 2014 10:54 am

Where's that nurse??? :wink:
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:05 am

I'm not a vengeful person, but that nurse needs to have a serious come-to-Jesus meeting. What she did to you was wrong on so many levels. I know you've got a lot on your plate now, and there are so many other things more important, but I hope you get the chance to talk to her and the surgeon together about what happened. You spent some time going through hell because of her, and the surgeon needs to know.
It sounds like you've got a really compassionate doc you're dealing with there, wanting to be upfront with you and DH, and doing his best to take out the tumor with a colonoscopy rather than more invasive surgery.
Please know that we're all pulling for you guys.
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

Maia

Postby Maia » Fri May 30, 2014 11:19 am

ANDRETEXAS wrote:Where's that nurse??? :wink:

I guess she's sharing her fate with this guy I've read about in other forum: Learned another lesson today - don't talk to the radiation techs
Suemarie, "cautiously optimistic" is probably the best approach to cancer but... congrats! In any case, way better news that what you were waiting for. One of my mantras is "You never know!!'' :D

suemarie

Postby suemarie » Fri May 30, 2014 11:56 am

HI there,

Wow - I'm still in shock - happy shock, but still in shock. Guess it is a real lesson to not listen to anyone else but the doctor, but even his doctor was talking about how they would have to decide if he needs chemo or radiation.

I love the new doctor. He seems to want to work as a team and kept saying, "Is this alright? That I re-do your colonoscopy?" Mike and I were both saying, "Yes - by all means."
The doctor said that because it didn't show up on the CT scan, he's not sure where it is and is only taking the word of the other doctor so he wants to take a look. So we'll know more next week at the colonoscopy.

Everyone on this forum is so kind and I'm so grateful for every one of you. So very grateful that you take the time to help everyone who comes to this forum so broken-hearted. I'm keeping everyone in my prayers and thoughts.

Thank you so much.

chrissyrice

Postby chrissyrice » Fri May 30, 2014 3:24 pm

Wow is right!

Blessed for sure by this new doctor. Where does he practice? If you feel comfortable sharing this info.
DX 10-31-09 Surgery 12-1-09 Sigmoid Colon
Stage IIIb T3,N2,MX; Chemo Feb 2010-Aug 2010; 4 rounds Folfox; 8 rounds 5FU +LV
12/2010 PET/CT Scan, Cancer Free
7/2012 CT Scan NED 2 years
10/2013 NED 3 years
8/2014 NED 4 years
Recurrence 6/2015: iliac lymph node(s)
8/2015 Surgery: 3 cm tumor removed+iliac artery graft
3/2016 CT Scan Stable
6/2016 Stable
9/2016 Stable
12/2016 Stable
3/2017 Stable
Recurrence 6/2017
12/2017 Surgery removed all cancer w/ clean margins
07-27-2018 Cancer-free for 7 months

suemarie

Postby suemarie » Fri May 30, 2014 4:27 pm

Hey Chrissyrice,

I live in Canada so Mike's new doctor works in Hamilton, Ontario. Guess a long way from you. He seems really nice and was very organized. He had read all the results and had a strategy before we walked in the door. We were thrilled that he wants to avoid surgery - if at all possible - due to my husband's multiple heart problems which are very intense.

Hey - I'll keep you in my prayers, too. Hope you're doing okay.
Sue

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”