Elderly Mother-In-Law has Mass

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
DolLV
Facebook Username: none

Elderly Mother-In-Law has Mass

Postby DolLV » Thu May 29, 2014 10:11 am

My mother-in-law (91) came to visit us from CT to LV the end of March. She had constipation/diarrhea and stomach pains. Went to the ER where she indicated she just needed to get home. They did CTscan and said she had an abcess, small bowel perforations, and diverticulitis (which we suspected - had it before), needed to see gastro Dr because possible tumor. Before leaving the hospital a few day later (infection was cleared), we told the attending Dr that she was going to get any procedure here because of the better care we could give her. Only one colonoscopy over 15 years ago with a couple of removed polyps. Saw Gastro - virtual colonoscopy (unsuccessful prep, but indicated mass). Prepped for sig (unsuccessful). Prepped again which was successful but could not do because of inflammation and fear of performation. Will go for consultation next week. Dr doesn't know what the next step is and will discuss with peers. After reviewing this forum, it appears we need a MRI an blood occult test, then possible surgery. Any help on questions we should ask, please help. Mom wants to go home in July for granddaughter's wedding, so I need to know if we can wait for any procedure to then. 91 but beside a walker and high blood pressure, good shape. Thank you in advance!

Patience

Re: Elderly Mother-In-Law has Mass

Postby Patience » Fri May 30, 2014 4:17 am

DolLV wrote: Any help on questions we should ask, please help. Mom wants to go home in July for granddaughter's wedding, so I need to know if we can wait for any procedure to then.

Sorry to hear of your MIL's medical complications. AT 91, it make things more precarious.

My questions would be built around the dilemma of, "If she has that XXXX procedure here in LV, what is the likelihood that she will someday be able to return home to CT at all, and what about by July?"

Sometimes the short term convenience can really mess with the long term goal. We've stopped traveling due to that situation.

Best of luck to your family.
"Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you.
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you."

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat May 31, 2014 1:41 pm

I am so sorry to read this.

At 91, I wonder if the surgery will be too much. Have the Dr.(s) been able to stage her? What does your MIL want to do?

I think the last responder Patience said it best. "Sometimes short term convenience can really mess with long term goals".

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

DolLV
Facebook Username: none

Postby DolLV » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Update: After unsuccessful sigmoidoscopy and barium enema, Dr used complete blood test and MRI, and determined that MIL tumor is about 10 cm, 98% cancerous. Original CTScan used also. They cannot be100% sure without biopsy. Cancer appears to be contained. Decision is to remove that section of the colon as it is at minimum severe diverticulosis. It has to come out. Some blockage already. Physical next week and surgery scheduled Sep 3rd. All her physicians believe she is not 91 mentally or physically and believe she needs to proceed. Very nervous but she is ready for it. A very strong lady.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”