I've Been Hiding

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrownBagger

I've Been Hiding

Postby BrownBagger » Wed May 28, 2014 10:04 am

I haven't been contributing much lately, and I want to apologize for that. For a variety of reasons, I needed a break, but if you want the honest truth, I've been hiding the past few weeks. Between a combination of a really busy spring at work, combined with a nasty head cold and too much traveling and then topped off with all the bad news on the board recently, I needed to seek refuge. But I should have been here for my friends.

Instead, I hid out in the garden. It was tough because I picked up this terrible head cold on the road that I really wanted to keep out of my chest. But this was over Memorial Day weekend, which I had allotted to 4 days to get the garden in and stack next winter's firewood in the barn. Thanks to no energy and a lot of pressure to take it easy and get lots of rest, I was on a reduced workload, but did manage to get the garden squared away. Wood stacking can wait; responsible spring gardening can't.

So, here's a few pics. Most everything is just hanging in there hoping for warmer temps. Growing anything outside this time of year is going to be slow going--if you can keep it going. But like most gardeners, I can't wait to get out there and move some dirt around when the snow melts off. Plant some seeds or put out sets too early (i.e., before June 1), and you're going to spend a month or two looking at plants that can barely get out of their own way. It's just the way it is.

First, the before and after shots. All those weeds had to come out of the beds and the paths between the beds. Then, I laid down a layer of fabric and then the wood chips. And of course, the plants had to go into the ground. This summer I'm putting most of my hopes into the broccoli crop, which currently totals 24 plants. Judging from the quality and quantity of good eats we got from just 5 plants last summer, I'm stocking up on broccoli recipes. The best meal is still steamed or boiled broccoli with a dressing of fresh squeezed lemon juice, olive oil and a little salt. Also good with a browned garlic and olive oil dressing. Or, right off the plant.

Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

exaussie

Re: I've Been Hiding

Postby exaussie » Wed May 28, 2014 10:27 am

Your garden is "A thing of beauty" We are just planting ours this week nothing goes in the ground until after Memorial Day so we don't have to replant.
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:29 am

Eric,

Glad to see you. You are always missed, but I can certainly relate to needing a break from this board and cancer, in general. You've been very busy and constructive during your break. It looks great and I'm sure it did much for your mental health!

It's tough that cancer has to be put back on our radar with scans and oncologist's visits. I had a big break after SBRT, waiting for it to work. I felt like I was on a cancer vacation. Now, that's over and I'm back to all my appointments again. :(

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Wed May 28, 2014 10:46 am

Welcome back BB! Nice garden pics! Any corobbie (or however you spell it?), I loved that when i was a kid. My dad used to grow it in our garden.
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

pfCml73183
Facebook Username: Celeste Marie Comeau

Postby pfCml73183 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:54 am

Eric, I love your garden! It is a work of art. It is beautiful and edible. I especially like the wood shaving walks. They make a nice color contrast and a great outdoorsy smell. Mmm.
We are just starting a garden now. Our tomato plants are already about 2'.
What else will you be growing? What do you use for garden pests (bugs)? I see you have a fence for the animals.
Wife and BF to Peter, 54
mCRC/IV/BRAF+
Erbitux and Urelumab trial @MSKCC 3/15
went home 5/8/15

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:57 am

Very nice looking garden - as usual ha. Please keep the pictures coming as it grows.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed May 28, 2014 11:13 am

Thanks everyone.

Celeste, I'm highly motivated by two main concerns, other than I'm always motivated at the prospect of having a nice garden. First, I've been telling myself that, you know, "this could be the last one." I sure hope not, but if you're going to go out, might as well go out with a bang. If I want to be remembered for anything, in other words, a beautiful garden would have to figure into that calculation. My other motivator is the rising price of groceries and concern about the quality of what we get at the store these days for our money. I always feel better and seem to stay healthier the more fresh stuff we grow and cook and eat. So, this year, it's pretty basic: leaf lettuce, bush beans, pole beans, broccoli, Brussels sprouts spinach, Swiss chard, carrots, radishes, acorn squash, peppers, snow peas, cherry tomatoes, radiccio, and a selection of herbs such as basil, mint, parsley, etc.

No colrabi, Rob, mainly because I don't think I'd eat it. Maybe I'm being unfair, but I always lump colrabi in with stuff like rutabagas and turnips.

As to bugs and other critters of the night, I'm running a strictly organic operation here, so it's all about killing first and asking questions later. I've found that if you get on the bugs early and often, you can usually control their populations. But you have to get resolute about it and committed to genocide. It's us or them, folks. The long-eared locust herd numbers about 12 deer. For years I tried different strategies for keeping them out, culminating in a 7-foot electric fence. And that didn't even work. Now, all I do is hang a sweaty work shirt, hat and sweatband on a rudimentary scarecrow plopped in the middle of the garden. Smells like a person and looks like a person. Not worth jumping that fence to find out. And, it tends to keep the neighbors away, too. Since I cut firewood all summer after work, I have a ready supply of deer repellent. But really, anything with a human scent that can be made to resemble a person is probably sufficient. The scarecrow's name, by the way, is "Stinky."

The chips look a little over the top, but once they weather a bit, they'll blend in better. My main reasons for putting them in include the fact that they make it easier to garden barefoot and with a minimum of mud on your shoes, but also because they help the raised beds retain moisture. I've noticed in the past that during dry spells, sometimes the plants near the edges of the beds will start to wither from lack of water. This helps solve that. You might have also noticed that I like to start plants from seed in little groups, and then transplant then into rows once they've sprouted and grown a bit. The transplanting does set them back, but I think it's easier and less wasteful of (getting more expensive all the time) seeds. You have to stay on the watering if you transplant anything, however, especially young plants with small root masses. But I still believe it's easier than planting too many and then weeding. That's disruptive as well.
Eric, 58
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Maia

Postby Maia » Wed May 28, 2014 12:57 pm

That's so beautiful, Eric! I'll show the fence you have there to my husband -we need to do something like that if we want a veggies garden, the two beasts don't allow even grass to grow : )
I totally understand about needing a break... too much sad news in a wave. Happy to hear from you and that you have been so productive!! :)

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Wed May 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Good looking garden, BB! I'm with you on the kohlrabi! It definitely needs to be lumped in with rutabagas and turnips! Image Luckily, broccoli freezes like a dream so any extra can be taken care of that way or you might be able to donate it to a local church or soup kitchen. Something like that.

I know how you feel about feeling the need to hide from this place from time to time. I've done that and I think it's good sometimes to just take a step back. I think it makes us fresher and more able to encourage people and ourselves.

Has your cold gone away? I'm praying it doesn't go to your chest. I guess your wife and daughter are concerned about the same thing.

God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

SoConfused

Postby SoConfused » Wed May 28, 2014 1:20 pm

BB, it's good to see you back on the board and posting again --- your garden is looking lovely, too. I just wanted to let you know that I absolutely understand what you mean by needing an escape. So many friends are struggling on this board, and it has been weighing so heavily on my soul to read about their challenges and not be able to help in any way --- so like you, it has been easier for me to run away from CClub and bury my head in the sand. I think about and pray for everyone on this board daily - but sometimes, I just need to pretend this place and/or my need to be on it doesn't exist.

Now, I've got to go find a way to get my garden looking half as good as yours.
Stage IV CC

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed May 28, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks, Gwen.

I was pretty freaked out about the cold, mainly because I had something similar, though not as severe, last spring, probably from the same convention. Anyway, that one took forever to finally let go of me, and I was afraid this would get into my chest and screw up summer and treatment plans. But, it seems to be subsiding on its own, though my ear has been making funny noises today, so I'm not out of the woods yet. But I do feel better, despite chemo yesterday, so that's encouraging. I'm debating whether or not to start taking minocycline, which I have a good supply of and my doc's PA said would be my next line of defense. Not sure if I need it and I don't want to start taking it if it's not necessary. Messes with my digestive system--just what anyone on Irinotecan needs more of. So, we'll see. I don't want to get too far out on a limb in either direction.

My daughter is happily settling into her new career in San Francisco, and I couldn't be happier for her. She headed out West with a freshly minted degree in biology, and snagged a good job in her field within three months, working on the Google campus in Silicon valley, though not working for Google. It's a start-up that Google is heavily invested in, which is probably a pretty good sign.

Back to the garden: Here's what I'm waiting (and hoping) for again this summer.

Eric, 58

mymom

Postby mymom » Wed May 28, 2014 3:45 pm

the garden looks fantastic...If you want a good laugh I will send you some pics of my garden. LOL. But stuff is growing!
Stage 4 CC DX 5/11
colon/livr rsct 5/11(1 met)
Folfox July-11/11
NED to 5/12
New Primry BC-4/12,Stage 1
2 livermet 5/2012
Liver rsct,HAI 6/12,Folfiri
NED to 10/13,1 liver met,ablation, Folfiri
NED to 12/14, another spot
3/15 NED
Ablation 1 liver met 10/15
1/16-current NED
6/22- small spot liver again, ablation oct 2023

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed May 28, 2014 9:28 pm

Looking VERY good out there bro' ... it will be a good year.

Glad Stinky is back in service as those TaliBambis need reminding " Do NOT mess wit da' Bag man ! "

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

teachpdx

Postby teachpdx » Wed May 28, 2014 10:23 pm

OK, I have to put in a plug for kohlrabi. I don't particularly like turnips, etc, but I found that if you roast kohlrabi it has a wonderful subtle flavor with a nice consistency. One of my new favorite veggies. I'm with you Eric re price and quality of supermarket food. I had a very hard time buying chard last fall after mine stopped producing. I paid too much money for chard that if it were in my garden I'd probably compost. Best of luck with your garden. It's very pretty and I'm jealous of all your space.
4/24/12 RC T3N1M0 age 53
5/23-7/2 - 26 chemorad - Xeloda
7/16 Lynch- MSH2
8/28 LAR w/ temp ileo, CR, 0/11,M0, hysterectomy
10/13 6 cycles Xeloda - completed only 1 1/2 due to HFS
3/12/13 - reversal
8/13 NED
6/15 - HFS gone!

Ajane

Postby Ajane » Wed May 28, 2014 11:00 pm

Eric, it's a beauty!