Sorry, But Need to Vent About Insensitive Family

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Maia

Re: Sorry, But Need to Vent About Insensitive Family

Postby Maia » Mon May 26, 2014 12:22 pm

Sending love your way, Val, always.

Misha

Postby Misha » Mon May 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Val, I read your initial post and realized that your situation of cachexia-anorexia is different then my mother's and some of the others who posted on this thread. I had never heard of cachexia-anorexia and googled a few sites on it. Another cruel and vicious item in cancer's big bag of them. My thoughts go out to you for having to deal with this.

ChristyB.

Postby ChristyB. » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:38 am

My husband was diagnosed 6 1/2 years ago, and has so bravely undergone numerous surgeries, procedures, chemo, and pinpoint radiation. Then last October, a very large duodenal ulcer that we didn't know about eroded an artery and started a bleed. I came home from a drug store run to find him dying in a lake of blood. The heroic paramedics brought him back, as he was " seeing THE light".
Since then, he has been declining steadily. He now weighs 134, healthy weight was about 220. ( He has active cancer in numerous organs, and is being treated with Vectibix, as a last ditch effort) When he stopped eating, I was trying everything, walking through the grocery store crying, searching the aisles for something, anything, that he might eat. Then I finally got smarter and did some research, and learned about cancer related cachexia-anorexia. I understand now that there is no one in the world that wants to eat, and to live, more than he does. I no longer beg, plead, nag, or stand over him watching him. He can handle a couple of Carnation Breakfast Essentials, they are mixed with milk, but I no longer beg him to try solid food. We had a serious "word of prayer" with a very close friend who was absolutely relentless, and several other people who tried to guilt him into eating, it was incredible how thick headed some people can be on that subject. Sometimes, knowledge of exactly what we're dealing with here helps people understand. But, as the one person wrote, You can't fix stupid !
Prayers for you, and all of us!

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:39 am

Family's and their ideas on how you should be treated. It's so sad. I'm going through it my wife is angry at me for getting sick, her side of the family I've moved away from them as they abuse me for doing chemo etc and radiation.

At the end of the day it's my desease and I will treat it how I like. It's my body and my life and I'm comfortable with the option I chose. Do I talk to them yet no. But I do understand they do really want to help but theirs ideas don't match with mine.

Give them all space.
06/2016 Went in for colonoscopy came out with a tumor. Age 35
12cm from verge at junction. Rectal cancer.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
Completed 5FU and Radiation
LAR surgery planned 13 Oct 2016
Completed ULAR surgery 11-10-2016.
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

Pathology reviewed and changed
ypT3 N0 M0 R0

Started folfox 21-11-2016
5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

TXLiz

Postby TXLiz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Just when I think people can't go lower- someone throws them a shovel and they start digging.

I am so sorry. I hate reading posts about families who are so insensitive and uncaring.

My therapist told me to not worry about such people. They will realize someday how awful their reaction and actions have been. (My husband's family are uncaring jerks.)

Prayers and love to you and DH. I hate this disease.
Vomiting and blockage 9/19/16 46 y F
R hemi colectomy 9/20/16
Stage 3 B CRC, located in cecum
3 out of 16 lymph nodes positive
perineural invasion/lymphovascular invasion
infiltrating, mod differentiated adenocarcinoma with a mucinous component
separate tumor nodules present in pericolonic adipose tissue
MSI-high
Baseline PET scan clear 9/16 CEA 0.5
FOLFOX 10/16- 3/17
April 16th, CT scan clear. CEA 1.1
Lynch "inconclusive"