About to file for SSDI, coming to terms with what is ahead

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
alanams

About to file for SSDI, coming to terms with what is ahead

Postby alanams » Tue May 20, 2014 1:16 pm

Good afternoon everyone. I would like to begin by thanking everyone for the encouragement and information as I made it through the last 5 weeks of disappointment and pain.

I could no longer work after complications of chemotherapy in March. In April, I became jaundiced due to biliary blockage by a liver tumor, and 3 weeks ago, 2 stents were implanted by ERCP. I have been recovering at home for the last 3 weeks .. with soreness and pain. My STD carrier from work cut off my claim after a month, because they needed to get updates from my provider. I'm working on reopening that.

Returning to work is no longer an option, so, I believe that SSDI is the next step. My big expense will be health insurance extension by COBRA. Waiting for Medicare from SSDI for 24 months is quite a long time. This is indeed becoming a difficult adjustment; no more employment, disability carriers are rough to deal with, and COBRA. As soon as my liver function tests normalize, I can look forward to Irinotecan and Erbitux. The last 6 weeks have centered around continuing pain, soreness and disaappoinment. The alternative treatments I placed so much hope in did not help to any noticeable degree.

Any information, perspectives, and / or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and best to all. Alan
51 M, Stage IVb CRC; Colon bypass surgery 7/12. Mets to liver, lungs and lymph nodes; 12 sessions of Folfox 4/13 & 12 with Folfiri & Avastin 2/14. Biliary blockage delays chemo treatments; ERCP with 3 stents, and 2 biliary catheters (7/14).

janklo
Facebook Username: JanetKlostermann

Re: About to file for SSDI, coming to terms with what is ahe

Postby janklo » Tue May 20, 2014 1:38 pm

Since you are stage IV, social security disability should be fairly simple to get approved. I think they actually push those through.

The other thing, about the medical insurance. Check out the exchanges. I don't know what the rule is now that the "open enrollment period" is over but a lady I work with had issues with our group medical carrier paying for her daughter's psychiatric care and meds, so she bought a policy on the exchange for her daughter and it was fairly cheap, compared to COBRA. She is very pleased with it. If you are on disability, maybe you can even get a break on the premium. It's worth checking out!
Mom to 28 yo daughter
colectomy 2/22/10, stage 3C, signet cell
7/2011 peritoneal mets
HIPEC September 2012, difficult recovery
Hospice 10/31/2012, Died 11/16/2012

some

Postby some » Tue May 20, 2014 1:50 pm

Alan,

Your employer should be able to help you with your LTD plan. You do have one and it will pay a lot more than SSD would which should make your affording insurance better. You gave so many years to this job and they should be able to help with this process. Your doctors can help too and maybe if you just can't handle it, you should hire an attorney's office to facilitate this. My husband has applied for the employer provided disability and his HR and their broker has been very helpful.

I hope you can feel better soon.

Serena
DH (age 41) diag Stage IV mets to peritoneum - July 2012 (undetectable on CT PET or MRI)
Folfox 7 & Avastin started July 2012 CEA, CA 19-9 not indicators
HIPEC surgery 1/18/13
Folfiri/Erbitux - March 2013
Lots of prayers.

tdsamal
Facebook Username: malby.tammy

Postby tdsamal » Tue May 20, 2014 2:51 pm

Just a short note about LTD. There should be no reason for you not to qualify for it, but they will make you file for SSD because they know for a fact you will be fast tracked. It doesn't take long once your apply io find out but you won't get your first check from SSD for 5 months from the date of your disability. They can go back to your last day on the job which is nice. Please don't give up on either LTD or even STD. You paid for it and your have earned it! Cobra is very expensive and for me just wasn't an option. I don't know how these exchanges work though with existing medical problems. Good luck to you.
Tammy
Dx st IV CC & colon resection 11/09
Way to much to list
Last recurrence December 2017

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Tue May 20, 2014 3:40 pm

hi
My son was told to apply for everything..They will rush ssi through for stage 4. I worked on the health care side, his sister applied for disability and ssi for him-I do not know how the elderly sick people manage to get through the paper work when it took 2 of us to get it all done! He cant work and now lives at home. He was on disability until ssi kicked in, in March. We went with state insurance (Oregon) and so far, now that the long set up and a few hiccups are over, its working. He is getting food stamps so he can help us out with food bill.
Hope everything goes smooth for you.
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

vickitwo

Postby vickitwo » Tue May 20, 2014 4:08 pm

I really don't know anything for sure but it was my understanding that one could still sign up on the healthcare exchange anytime you have a life changing event such as a job loss etc. I would do some investigating before I would pay COBRA prices . Does COBRA still even exhist? The person who signed me up for health care told me that my college age daughter who has health insurance with her university could get healthcare on the exchange after she graduates and is no longer covered there. Good luck to you.
Vicki

DH Dx 1/2012 @ age 52
stage IV CC
transverse colon,omentum, cecum,liver,lungs,L5
9 rounds of Folfox, Avastin,
5FU/Leucovorin/Avastin
radiation tx to L5 and hips
Folfiri/Zaltrap
12/13/13 Folfox/Avastin
1/4/2014 passed away @ Hospice House- age 54

midlifemom

Postby midlifemom » Tue May 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Vicki is correct that you can apply to the exchange when you experience a "life changing" event such as a job loss. But watch your timing. You have to apply within a certain time period I think.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

annalexandria

Postby annalexandria » Tue May 20, 2014 6:23 pm

I am on SSDI and it was a very simple process. Started the application online and was approved within two months. Us "lucky" stage 4ers get to cut to the front of the line, I guess.
They also paid back pay to the date when I had to stop working, so if you've been off for a while, you will likely get a chunk of money upfront before the monthly payments start.
Good luck, Alan, hopefully this process will go smoothly for you. I'm really sorry things have been so difficult for you. F'ing cancer. :/
AA
Mom, librarian
Dx age 43, Sept. '09, Stage IV Carcinosarcoma of the colon
5 surgeries, 2009-2011:
colon/sm. bowel res., node removal, peritoneum, hysterectomy
FOLFOX/Avastin Feb.'10-Aug '10
Carbo-Taxol Dec. '10-Feb. 2011
NED since Dec. 2011.

gep

Postby gep » Tue May 20, 2014 8:57 pm

There's a 5 month waiting period before SSDI kicks in. As a result, it's important to allege an onset date that's accurate. If you really haven't been working for the last 5 months because you've been out sick more than at work, allege that as your onset date despite the fact that you were at work. SSDI applications can go back 17 months and with the 5 month waiting period they can pay you 12 months before you apply if that's when you really became unable to work.
Hope this makes sense.
gloria
caregiver to Eli
dx 8/07 3B
7/09 - liver & celiac lym node
1/10 Liver Res & Lym nodes out
7/10 Back - Liver & other lym nodes
12/12 hit chemo wall
1/12 Clin Trial - MEK & AKT inhibitors
3/12 Trial failed/ spheres 4/12
7/30/13 Eli died.

alanams

Postby alanams » Thu May 22, 2014 2:35 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses.

I'm in the process of contacting a social worker at one of the cancer care organizations about resources, such as legal advice. The whole attorney-disability issue has me extremely anxious. If the wait for SSDI Medicare wasn't so long, COBRA wouln't be an issue.

Best to all, Alan
51 M, Stage IVb CRC; Colon bypass surgery 7/12. Mets to liver, lungs and lymph nodes; 12 sessions of Folfox 4/13 & 12 with Folfiri & Avastin 2/14. Biliary blockage delays chemo treatments; ERCP with 3 stents, and 2 biliary catheters (7/14).

Jack&KatiesMommy

Postby Jack&KatiesMommy » Fri May 23, 2014 11:46 am

Alan:
Praying for a good plan of attack moving forward!
Cynthia
Cynthia
Mommy to Jack (8) now (18) and Katie (4) now (14)
(My Most Precious Things)
Dx 8/11 Stage IV CRC (liver mets) CEA 2,600+
9/11 Folfiri 2/12: Failed Liver Resection
5/12 HAI pump/removed primary
4/13 Liver Resection
8/13-12/15 (10) RFAs lungs
5/17: Upper Left Lobe of lung resected.
02/18: 3 new lymph mets lung
05/18: Keytruda (MSS w/Intermediate TMB): NED CEA: 66.4, 39.2, 23.8, 13, 3.5 1.8, 1.0, 2.8 3.9, 5.0, 5.6, 1.5, .8,

MrPleistocene
Facebook Username: vinson.jim

Postby MrPleistocene » Sat May 24, 2014 12:12 pm

It is also possible to back date your eligibility. They can look at your record and might determine you were disabled after your first surgery. In that case, your medicaid might kick in quite soon. You will also get a lump sum payment for the owed SSDI. At least, that was what happened with me.
DX 11/09 RC Stage IIIb
12/09 Chemorad w/Folfox
Surgery 4/10 LAR, Removed Seminal Vesicles
Clean Margins, T3N2M0, 4/19 Nodes
FOLFOX 6/10-11/10
6/10, 10/10, 1/11 Clean Scans, Normal CEA
12/10 Bi-Nephrostomy
12/10-2/11 HBOT
2/11 Reversal

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”