candidates stance on health

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
klryder02

candidates stance on health

Postby klryder02 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:18 pm

http://www.webmd.com/election2008/default.htm

After reading more about stem cell research..I came across this link.

Enjoy!
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

Lifes2short

Re: candidates stance on health

Postby Lifes2short » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Interesting reading. I hope every one will take the time to look at the candidate's stances on health care and stem cell research. These issues are so important for everyone!
Age 45; Stage IV, mets to liver, nodes and bones.
Dx 12/05; Chemoradiation, surgery, Folfox, Folfiri, Folfiri, Folfiri, Folfiri
Intrathecal pain pump 3/09 (works great!)
Irinotecan / Erbitux 5/09 - ?
Two wonderful kids ages 7 and 5

PammySue_51

Postby PammySue_51 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:20 pm

Yes, this is interesting. However, we must also take into consideration the increase in taxes that one of these candidates' plans will be. Research...definitely. Government health care...while it would be good for me personally as our insurance premiums are incredibly, this tax burden would be paid by my children.

Good topic. I'm sure there will be lots of responses.
Pam

I Peter 5:10-11

Diagnosed 9/06 Stage IV, 19 mo. chemo, now out of chemo options except for possible clinical trials. 9/3/08 First of two Sir-Spheres procedures.

*Faith is the wind that blows the sail of our ship to the desired destination."

bdurant

Postby bdurant » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:33 pm

Beware, there are some on this group who think that you should leave politics out, especially when the dirty truths come out. There lies the problem. Our health care and protections are now controlled and depend on politics.
Wife of Dale Durant
Dale's Age 62
Chemo Radiation
Rectal Cancer Surgery Aug. 2005
Post Surgery Radiation Chemo Xloda Oxylaplatin
Diagnosed Recurrent Rectal Cancer April 2008
Currently Hoping For And Seeking Curative Options

PammySue_51

Postby PammySue_51 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:54 am

I agree. There are those who are and are not in favor of government health care. This is an election year, and tempers will flare by bringing up the topic of politics. I have many friends on both sides of the aisle and I will "not go there" and argue politics. I know where they stand. They know where I stand. I hope this post doesn't start a fire storm of folks talking about our candidates. We all need to fully research where our candidates stand on all issues and then make an informed decision based on what we feel is important to us.
Pam

Diagnosed 9/06 Stage IV, 19 mo. chemo, now out of chemo options except for possible clinical trials. 9/3/08 First of two Sir-Spheres procedures.

meighan

Postby meighan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:20 am

I guess I am going to delete my two posts as well, I feel passionately about the topic but this does not appear to be the forum to discuss them......... As a RN I really hope everyone looks into the true problems facing this country and where the candidates stand so they can make informed decisions.
Last edited by meighan on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

wwroam
Facebook Username: Wayne Whitaker

Postby wwroam » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:15 pm

Not being a US citizen, and with little knowledge of candidate policies, but having analyzed some comparative costs ( to Australia ), I am hesitant to offer an opinion. I can only warn, be careful what you wish for. For those with money/insurance, the US system is the gold standard. Without those, you're out in the cold. By my calculations , the cost of a resection or a single Folfox treatment is at least 3 times ( and getting closer to 4 times) more expensive in the US than here. That is the big "why is it so". Any offer of a universal health care system without a detailed proposal of cost containment will not be workable. Now I'll get shot down.
Stage 3a DX 25/06/07
Folfox complete 30/01/08
7 years NED
Port scheduled for removal 8/02/10 Gone.
PSA .54 No prostate problems
Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic
SO diagnosed CC Stage IV Liver Mets 23/03/15

PammySue_51

Postby PammySue_51 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:49 pm

I decided to delete my post in the spirit of what this board is all about.
Pam

meighan

Postby meighan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:53 pm

I am certainly not offended and hope to not offend you...........
Last edited by meighan on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

justsing

Postby justsing » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:18 pm

I think it's a great thread so long as the discussion stays on the issues and doesn't deteriorate to personalities. Also I think it's great to have discussions like this contained in a properly labeled thread rather than creeping in to other threads.

So carry on, I say!

My father is an insurance lawyer and was an insurance commissioner at the state level for many years. He has lots and lots to say on this topic and I grew up hearing about it around the dinner table.

His take is that the best plan lies somewhere in the middle with mandatory catastrophic health coverage for all, and then a private market for additional coverage. Since my completely unobjective opinion is that my dad is a genius. I'm betting that his vision is the ticket.
justsing, 46
Stage IV
colon resection 12/07
Liver resection 04/08
Phase I vaccine trial
liver, lung LN mets
tried Oxi, Iri and Avastin
now trying new chemo combos then sir spheres
College prof in theatre & voice
2 girls 18 & 14, one son 10

meighan

Postby meighan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:38 pm

Would he be willing to run????

I am sorry if I am heated on the topic. I would love to hear a break down of the issues from the other side but if no one is interested I will find it else where no big deal. We are a huge debating political family from both sides of the ticket, I forget not everyone is. Our feelings don't get hurt we just debate it out and have a drink (we are irish so tempers fly and whiskey flows)

justsing

Postby justsing » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:16 pm

LOL!
Unfortunately, he is WAY burned out on campaign politics. Not to mention that other than his stance on healthcare, he sits slightly to the right of Attila the Hun. Family gatherings with my dad and my commie-pinko-liberal-subversive husband are nothing if not lively!

He prefers to wield influence from the smoky back rooms these days!
justsing, 46
Stage IV
colon resection 12/07
Liver resection 04/08
Phase I vaccine trial
liver, lung LN mets
tried Oxi, Iri and Avastin
now trying new chemo combos then sir spheres
College prof in theatre & voice
2 girls 18 & 14, one son 10

sue

Postby sue » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:02 pm

I have friends that have to come here to get their treatments for their CC becasue their countries do not have them, one being Canada...I am totally against universl insurance for this reason. We have the best available health care in the world!
Oct 2003 surgery 36 weeks 5FU

Dec 2006-mets to liver and lymph nodes (stage 1V ) Had liver resection/radiation/chemo

2008 nodes on lungs started FOLFOX4, 5FU/leucovorin, avastin. After 10 cycles no change

Oct 2008 started 5-FU

May 2009-Folfox4

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:35 am

PammySue_51 wrote:I decided to delete my post in the spirit of what this board is all about.

Me, too.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

PammySue_51

Postby PammySue_51 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:00 am

LOL, Greg! Most of us feel passionately one way or the other and we can't change anyone's opinion and they can't change ours, so I normally don't "go there." It was a good link, though.
Pam

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”