Ucsf / stanford

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Maddielolo

Ucsf / stanford

Postby Maddielolo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:58 am

Anyone have any experience with either of these hospitals (and/or docs there)? Might start treatment in Bay Area while i schedule appt at msckk (hai pump?) for right after first line chemo ends. A surgeon at Sloan said that would be his approach, although I'm doubling checking with dr k next week.

KWT

Re: Ucsf / stanford

Postby KWT » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:04 pm

I saw Oncologist Dr. Pamela Kunz at Stanford. I also would recommend Dr. Cindy Kin she's a colorectal surgeon at Stanford and in my opinion is nothing short of awesome.
Last edited by KWT on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gfpiv

Postby gfpiv » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:20 pm

By no means am I shilling for the hepatic pump again, but since you expressed interest - per this link it appears that UCSF may actually do HAI too-

...sorry, I'm unable to paste the link for some reason, but if you Google "UCSF" and "hepatic pump" it's the first link listed.

(( Moderator's note : is this it, Chip ? ))
http://liversource.surgery.ucsf.edu/conditions--procedures/hepatic-arterial-infusion-(hai)-pump.aspx
Chip
DX stage IV CC Jan '10, numerous unresectable liver mets
FOLFOX + Avastin Feb-Jul '10
Colon resection, HAI install Aug '10
Systemic FOLFIRI and hepatic FUDR Dec'10-May'12
Chemo break May'12-pres (tumors calcified & stable, knock on wood)
Billiary bypass surgery and SBRT on pesky liver met in 2015

Maddielolo

Postby Maddielolo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:59 pm

Thanks chip. And Yes - they do appear to do it but like so many, aren't convinced it extends life. The chair at ucsf has said that it's on research says that, but he also believes sloans success is just too hard to ignore. Goes back to the root of problem, that nobody has replicated sloans success. I'm still interested and focused on pump, but will only pursue at Sloan and plan to. It appears from discussions, that I should/ will probably start chemo, and set up appt at Sloan when I'm done with first stint. I've contacted both ucsf and Sloan and that is their quick first take, but I still need to talk to few more oncologists, liver surgeons and gi surgeons at both places. I just want to make sure I'm in good hands at ucsf as I start process.

gfpiv

Postby gfpiv » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:08 pm

Excellent. For what it's worth, I think you've done a fantastic job gathering and assimilating a lot of information in such a short time and under such stress. I'm sure it will serve you well, and I've got my fingers crossed for great results for you!
Chip
DX stage IV CC Jan '10, numerous unresectable liver mets
FOLFOX + Avastin Feb-Jul '10
Colon resection, HAI install Aug '10
Systemic FOLFIRI and hepatic FUDR Dec'10-May'12
Chemo break May'12-pres (tumors calcified & stable, knock on wood)
Billiary bypass surgery and SBRT on pesky liver met in 2015

ziggymonster

Postby ziggymonster » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:30 pm

I have had 2 major surgeries at UCSF......my LAR was done by Dr. Mika Varma she is superb.....my lysis of adhesions done by Dr. Hobart Harris....again I can't say enough positive. I feel that the care received was excellent both times. I am also being treated for prostate cancer there as well.
DX advanced prostate cancer 2002
2014 still fighting mPca , failed surgery, radiation, hormone
DX Stage IIIa Rectal Cancer 12/12 1 of 12 nodes +
LAR permanent colostomy 1/13
Folfox 2/13 - 7/13 clear CT CEA 1.2
7/14 liver met chemo the resect in Oct
6/15 2 pos lung mets watching for now

Maddielolo

Postby Maddielolo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:22 pm

gfpiv wrote:Excellent. For what it's worth, I think you've done a fantastic job gathering and assimilating a lot of information in such a short time and under such stress. I'm sure it will serve you well, and I've got my fingers crossed for great results for you!

Thanks chip - I'm trying to gather as much information as possible, then make good decisions. As they say, this isn't dress rehearsal :)

some

Postby some » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Maddielolo,

Hi. We are in the Bay Area too. We've had some exposure to ucsf for care but preferred our care at Ucsd.

For you, I'd recommend MSK. I just think they specialize in cancer and dr k tries to cure not patch it for more time when she can. Our onc at ucsf is good but think she's of the mindset of more time. The crc surgeon we met there last week was horrible beyond belief and our onc just followed what she said which was a huge disappointment and will have us consulting back at Ucsd. One member here had dr varma and I hear she is great (not who we met).

I'm just saying you want strong and hopefully curative results and that's what dr I and her team work toward and they often do resection of primary when they insert the pump. They are a well oiled machine and everyone works together and that is invaluable for your care.

Go and beat it! You can get flights from sfo to by not too bad and you can probably work with ucsf to maintain the pump when you just need the saline or they can follow dr k's instructions for the drug.

Xoxo

Serena
DH (age 41) diag Stage IV mets to peritoneum - July 2012 (undetectable on CT PET or MRI)
Folfox 7 & Avastin started July 2012 CEA, CA 19-9 not indicators
HIPEC surgery 1/18/13
Folfiri/Erbitux - March 2013
Lots of prayers.

nkoske

Postby nkoske » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:35 pm

I did Stanford. Dr. Shelton did my LAR. Everything works so good on him. Dr. Koontz in my Med Onc, young guy (so am I), him an I get on great. Dr. Chang was my Rad Onc liked him a lot. His Nurse Pat is freaking awesome.

If radiation is in the cards I would not hesitate to go to Stanford and there's not many better places as it's the birthplace of medical linear accelerators.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Try and go to someone with the most experience.
Nick, DX @ age 34, IIIB Rectal Cancer 10/2012
ChemoRad IMRT 11/2012
Laparoscopic LAR 1/2013 (No Ileo)
Post Surgery Path IIIB (2/15 LN)
Chemo 2/2013 (XelOx)
Currently NED, Graduated from Med Onc 10/2017

KWT

Postby KWT » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:45 pm

Nick,
I too really like Dr. Chang, I'm just curious did he do a short course of radiation for you? Mine was five days at a higher dose.

Kenny

Maddielolo

Postby Maddielolo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks guys - I'm guessing radiation is out as it's not rectal. I've been recmnded Jim ford and Pam kunz at stanford. If hereditary link pops up on pathology (should know today/tomorrow) the I might go see them. Otherwise, start at ucsf, make appt at Sloan, and go get em.

nkoske

Postby nkoske » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:02 pm

kennyt wrote:Nick,
I too really like Dr. Chang, I'm just curious did he do a short course of radiation for you? Mine was five days at a higher dose.

Kenny

I did 25 days. I was treated on a IMRT rapid arc machine 2 Gy for 25 treatments for a total of 50 Gy. Due to the proximal nature of my tumor (potential small intestine irradiation), I was approved for the IMRT, which in my understanding is not standard operating procedure. All does were equal, as it was explained to me, because of the conformal nature of the rapid arc IMRT more energy can be directed more precisely on the tumor.

Blog post from my radiation treatment http://keepupkoske.blogspot.com/2012/12/pain-in-nicks-radiation-therapy.html
Nick, DX @ age 34, IIIB Rectal Cancer 10/2012
ChemoRad IMRT 11/2012
Laparoscopic LAR 1/2013 (No Ileo)
Post Surgery Path IIIB (2/15 LN)
Chemo 2/2013 (XelOx)
Currently NED, Graduated from Med Onc 10/2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”