Sudden death with Folfox?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Bob_Weiss

Re: Sudden death with Folfox?

Postby Bob_Weiss » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:22 am

I have read that patients with liver or kidney problems may be risky candidates for chemo, because the drugs may not be efficiently excreted from the body. Also, some heart patients would require careful monitoring.
Stage 3 R/C -1 node+ ( 7/09)
5 wks radiation, 2 wks chemo: 5FU (8-9/09)
Rectal surgery: tumor removal (11/09)
10 rounds Xeloda: 3000mg/daily 1 wk on/1 wk off (1/10-6/10)
Supplements: Aspirin, Calcium, Vit. D3
03/27/17: 7+ yrs. since surgery--still NED

src1976

Postby src1976 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:42 pm

My husband had first chemo treatment today with the Oxaliplatin iv, he his also taking oral Xeloda. They did mention the small risk of anaphylactic reaction to it,
but that is true with any medication. I was having spinal nerve blocks and had an anaphylactic reaction the 3rd time. I would definitely ask why they are taking this precaution as it is stressful enough having chemo without the added pressure of this rare reaction. Keep us posted!
He also had a heart attack several years ago and there is a rare chance of developing a cardiac problem, but they have to tell you the risks.

ConnieSPK
Facebook Username: Connie Perkins Kreienheder

Postby ConnieSPK » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:00 am

Hello,

I've had FOLFOX successfully, then subsequently reacted to it (became allergic) the next time I needed a course of chemo after having FOLFIRI. Regarding your words, "the possibility of a genetic allergy with the 3 products incorporated into Folfox", makes me wonder if they now have some sort of way to tell if certain folks might be more likely to have a reaction. Anyway, I would inquire further to get some answers from the onc on the subject....

Connie K
Dx08@54,StgIV Colon,Liver,Lung, ColonSurg,FOLFOX+Beva
09 LiverSurg
10 FOLFIRI+Beva
11 FOLFOX+Beva,ox reaction
12 Bi-lat LungVATS
13 New mets L lung FOLFIRI+Zaltrap,5FU reaction
14 Return mets L lung SBRT,successful
15 Lung Spots, Irinotecan

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:25 am

Heavy duty 5FU treatments used to get about 0.2% up front, due to severe DPD deficiency.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

fdelorme
Facebook Username: fdelorme

Postby fdelorme » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks to all,

What I conclude from this very informative exchange is that :

1) possible early deaths is due to DPD deficiency with the 5-FU;
2) In Canada, we don't perform pre-chemo treatment genetic testing to check if this is the case or not;
3) According to my oncologist, the probability is 1/50,000 (0.002%).

According to the nurse, the risk is over the first 2 treatments, where I guess, is the period where the intolerance materializes, should it be.

Francois

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:12 pm

It is also possible to have an anaphylactic shock reaction to the oxaliplatin. My doctor said he's only seen it twice (me being one). It can happen at any point in treatments - I'd had many doses of oxi - no problem in this regard - and then BAM! It hit. It's important to be aware that although very rare, this can happen - and if you do start to experience it - that you speak up quickly so the nurses can address it. When I shared my experiences with others they said "how did you know what was happening?" - and honestly, it's because I've been reading this board for so many years that I just intuitively knew that something was wrong when my tongue started to itch.

Knowledge is power - so it's good to be aware of the risks and what to do if you experience them; but not obsess over them because these things really are the exceptions to the rule.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

BrianMc7

Postby BrianMc7 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:28 pm

Within the past few months someone here reported that their mother had died from 5FU being administered over 2 hours instead of 46 hours. Please ensure that the nurses check the settings on the fanny pack before you leave. My onc's office always has a second nurse come over before administering any chemo.
54 M
4/30/12 Colon Ressection (0/21 lymph nodes)
6/18/12 Biopsy mets to liver
7/24/12 Started modified FOLFOX/with SIRT (SIRT on 7/26) CEA 59
5/13 Went on Chemo break
7/13 Theraspheres to combat small spot in liver
8/13 CEA 2.9
12/13 CEA 2.0
1/14 CEA 1.9

Megansmom

Postby Megansmom » Mon May 23, 2016 5:54 pm

My 34 year old daughter died suddenly after her first folfox treatment for stage IV b colon cancer which had spread from her rectum to her lungs and liver. She had been hospitalized for fever after her very first treatment. The onc had indicated one of the possible drugs could result in sudden death as a rare side effect but we didn't select that treatment. No explanation for her death and the oncologist was shocked. Monitoring would not have helped. she was in the hospital when she collapsed in my arms, I called for help and cpr was administered immediately to no avail.

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:23 pm

Megansmom, I am so sorry.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

NoFear32

Postby NoFear32 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:24 pm

I was never officially tested for DPD but showed almost 100% of the symptoms from it (thankfully it wasn't actually 100% or I probably would be dead) after my first FOLFOX round. I am in the USA and I do not believe that DPD testing pre-treatment is standard either as less than 10% of people have issues with the Fusilev and 5FU given in the FOLFOX combo.

From my understanding, people with DPD (and there are varying levels of DPD), have a problem processing the FUSILEV and 5FU portions of the chemo drugs via their bloodstream. Their bodies can't break it down this way and it becomes deathly toxic. Some people can die instantly, and in others it may take a bit longer.

Just so you know, my symptoms began almost immediately after starting my first chemo round and involved difficulty breathing, heart palpitations, low and irregular heartbeat, immense chest pressure and pain, inability to eat or sleep or make it to the bathroom, uncontrollable nausea, and inability to walk or move unassisted. I was sent to the ER after my 48 hours with the pump attached and given nitroglycerin pills because they thought I was having a heart attack or stroke at 32 years old.

For my FOLFOX round #2 they reduced my dosages, but the same symptoms happened again. My onc switched me to XELODA pills for round #3 and kept the reduced OXI going via IV power port and this seemed to help me a lot as far as giving my body a way to process and breakdown the Fusilev and 5FU via my stomach vs the IV/bloodstream. I still had to take a long- acting nitroglycerin pill everyday that I was on chemo to prevent against my heart problems, but I was able to make it through 8 rounds of chemo like this.

And just to also put this out there - I have NEVER had issues with my heart, chest, or any medications prior to this and I have never been known to be allergic to anything. I was perfectly healthy before I found out suddenly I had stage 3 colon cancer. It was so out of the blue and very frightening.
32 yo,Wife & Mom, ages 9 & 3
4/17/15: Colonoscopy = 6cm in sigmoid + 6 polyps
4/24/15: Colectomy (no illeo)
4/27/15: Diagnosed Stage 3b CC, 2/55 lymph nodes
May2015: Genetic testing, no Lynch, FAP, Gardners
6/1/15: Started FOLFOX - BAD reaction to 5FU, switched rounds 3-8 to combo of XELODA + OXI via IV.
9/24/15: Round 8 and done with chemo!
Nov2015: First CT scan, X-rays, blood = NED
Jan2016: Bloodwork = NED
Next up: Colonoscopy & Endoscopy, more CT scans, etc

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Tue May 24, 2016 8:22 pm

Megansmom wrote:My 34 year old daughter died suddenly after her first folfox treatment for stage IV b colon cancer which had spread from her rectum to her lungs and liver. She had been hospitalized for fever after her very first treatment. The onc had indicated one of the possible drugs could result in sudden death as a rare side effect but we didn't select that treatment. No explanation for her death and the oncologist was shocked. Monitoring would not have helped. she was in the hospital when she collapsed in my arms, I called for help and cpr was administered immediately to no avail.

I am so sorry for your loss :(

Thibault
Facebook Username: Thibault

Postby Thibault » Tue May 24, 2016 9:01 pm

Umm, that's strange. My doctor would of never said that. I think anyone starting chemo should have someone with them anyway. I live alone and had my sister for the first treatment which I was glad because I ended up in the emergency room I was so violently sick.

Joannerogers

Postby Joannerogers » Tue May 24, 2016 10:58 pm

I had folfox also but no one mentioned sudden death. Still if she's alone with a 10 year old.....better to be prepared....wouldn't want the little one to experience that.
53yo married 27 years, 2 children, 24 and 25
Diagnosed april 23,2015 rectosigmoid
Starting CEA 1845
Port placement and liver bx April 27
Folfox started april 29
Avastin added on May 6
Stage IV crc with mets to 50% of liver

10/13/15 dc'd transfusion #12...toxic
Pet/ct scan on 11/3/15
20% liver resected all margins clear 11/30/15
8/18/15 cea 21.
9/15/15 cea 13.9