Im excited but scared

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sharpey92

Im excited but scared

Postby sharpey92 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:30 am

Right then saw a very nice doctor today, he's ordered blood tests to check for coeliac and ........................................................................

Colonoscopy! At last! Finally find out whats going on.

Im in 2 minds about it at the moment, number 1) Yes! Find out whats wrong and get it sorted, Number 2) If it is anwhere near as bad a the flexi sig dont know what i'll do.

Ill keep you all updated people :)

raym

Re: Im excited but scared

Postby raym » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:38 am

For the actual colonoscopy procedure you are under general anesthesia so it's a walk in the park compared to e flex sig while awake. The uncomfortable part is the clean out the day before. Liquid diet and then medication to flush out your bowels. I'm not sure what is worse, the drinking of the laxative fluid (a lot) or the "end" result of that fluid. I've had pills that you take with your liquid of choice (I think it's called Osmoprep) and I found those easier than the go lightly type of prepared fluid (very salty/minerally so after awhile it's hard to get down). If you are on BP meds, Osmoprep is contradicted.

Hope you get some answers!
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial

sharpey92

Postby sharpey92 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:51 am

Ive heard stories about the prep, thanks for the advice, any more tips to get through the prep? :)

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:17 am

If you do the prep where you have to drink a gallon of liquid, I've found the lemon or lemon/lime to be the most tolerable flavor (none are good). And chill it first - it goes down so much easier when its been in the refrigerator for awhile. And - drink it with a straw - also helps a lot in getting the stuff down. Those are my best tips. Of course stay very close to a bathroom - cause once it starts coming - it just doesn't stop!

You only want to do this once, so do your very best in getting down as much prep as you possibly can. Honestly, I never get the whole gallon down - my body gets to a point where I just know if I take one more drink I'm going to puke. But I make sure I'm pretty much pooping a clearish/yellow poop - no chunks, no brown stuff (sorry to be gross - but you'll see what I mean). Just a clear yellowish liquid coming out. But again, try to get down as much as you possibly can. You want your colon to be really clean so the doctor gets a very clear picture of what's going on in there and doesn't miss anything because you couldn't get all the poop out of there.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

sharpey92

Postby sharpey92 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:42 am

Thank you NWGIRL i will endvour to drink as much as possible, although i did the enema for the flexi sig how they told me but i was still blocked up.

So what your saying is i will be ''weeing'' out my bum :D good times haha

just want to get it over and done with, keep the tips coming !!

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:53 am

I found that in addition to drinking the prep cold through a straw, having lemon hard candy on either side of your mouth, tucked between the teeth and cheeks, also helps with the taste. I had Lemonheads but there are sweeter lemon candies that you might like better. Here's hoping for a clean colon and clear colonoscopy!
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:28 pm

If you can do it, a low-fiber diet for a couple of days before the actual prep makes the cleanout faster and easier.
I cannot drink any of the preps; I throw up immediately when presented with an odd taste. (Also makes oral contrast for CT scans really difficult!). I used the osmoprep pills even when I was on BP meds, but drank twice the amount of water indicated with each pill.
Good luck.
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”