lymp nodes to close celiac artery and inferior vena cava

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
suzsmith
Facebook Username: susan.smith

lymp nodes to close celiac artery and inferior vena cava

Postby suzsmith » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:19 pm

Things are really changing fast..... My DH had colon resection of ascending colon in Aug of 2013 T2NOMO dx as stage 1, ct in December showed a 1 centimeter spot on liver but biopsy was negative so the watch and see wait game and now the spot on liver grew to 2 centimeters per mri in March. Oncologist ordered pet and spot lit up as well as 1 lymp node next to celiac artery and 1 lypm node next to inferior vena cava in liver. Surgical Oncologist said we can do a lap wedge resection on liver with a 50/50 chance of that it maybe open surg because tumor is in posterior seg 7. Surgery is scheduled for this wed April 17th.

Regarding the lymp nodes they are to close to the arteries to be safely removed so treatment plan is 6 months of chemo after liver surgery. She also informed us that typically when these lymp nodes are involved they are not usually responsive to treatment, but since we have to leave them they will be a good indicator with future scans to see if they respond to initial chemo.

My DH recent lab shows cea rising and his creatine (prob spelled that wrong lol) increased to 1.7 which could be just dehydration?? Labs will be done morning of surgery to make sure creatine levels are ok or no surgery. I can't find much information on cases like ours and would appreciate any advice or info anyone could share.
8/2/13 colon cancer resection
stage l T2NOMO
12/17/13 mri showed 1 cent lesion on liver
12/31/13 biopsy negative
4/16/14 liver wedge resection

gep

Re: lymp nodes to close celiac artery and inferior vena cava

Postby gep » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:54 pm

I almost didn't answer you because I didn't want you to see that my husband died last summer. However, he had a very good response to folfox and avastin with celiac lymph node involvement. It didn't last, but it worked for a while. I recommend that he go to a major cancer center like MD Anderson or Sloan Kettering and get another opinion for now and for future use.
All my best.
Gloria
Last edited by gep on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caregiver to Eli
dx 8/07 3B
7/09 - liver & celiac lym node
1/10 Liver Res & Lym nodes out
7/10 Back - Liver & other lym nodes
12/12 hit chemo wall
1/12 Clin Trial - MEK & AKT inhibitors
3/12 Trial failed/ spheres 4/12
7/30/13 Eli died.

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:58 pm

You might want to search out and read up on the CA19-9 and cimetidine discusions here. Also PSK and celebrex. Specialized or aggressive surgery may require particular surgeons or cancer centers, so "no" can mean "next" doctor.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

tchan8888

Postby tchan8888 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:38 am

I am an olymphian. Multiple LN mets. No organ involvement. For information on this topic on this site, would use the search term "olymphian." This will give you posts by all of us who have had to deal with LN issues. I am n chemo for life and am not operable given the extent of the LN involvement.

My goal is to ride the chemo as long as I can.

Blessings,

Tom
Tom, 49 now
12/12 Right Hemicolectomy 2X (29 days in hospital)
12/12 Stage IV: multiple distant LN; no organs
20X: FOLFIRI (stopped working)
8X: 5FU
8X: FOLFOX and Avastin
2016: Clinical trial pembrozilumab MSI high

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”