swollen lymph node in neck - update

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
amm0723

swollen lymph node in neck - update

Postby amm0723 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:52 pm

My husband noticed an enlarged lymph node on the right side of his neck last week. It is one of the supraclavicular nodes but it is on the right side. A little history before I start with all the questions...
DH (39) was diagnosed at routine colonoscopy in Nov/13 which he has been having since 35 due to family history. A polyp was removed from the cecum which turned out to be cancer. He underwent a right hemi colectomy on Dec.19/13. The pathology report came back with no evidence of cancer. The surgeon said that the removal of the polyp must have gotten everything since there was no trace of any cancer cells in the entire 2 foot section that was removed. 39 nodes were removed and all were negative. He also had scans of his liver and chest which were clear. After surgery we were told no further treatment was necessary however he is being tested for Lynch (highly likely that he is positive). His recovery has been going well. Then one week ago he noticed that he had a lump on the right side of his neck. He went for an ultrasound and they discovered that he had 2 other swollen nodes in the same area (supraclavicular). They checked the aorta and spleen and that was all clear. The Dr called today and said that they don't know what it is. He is now going to see an ENT and having a biopsy done and a possible CT. I know that the left side is more often the area for colon cancer to spread but has anyone had experience with this happening on the right? Also, is it really possible that all of the nodes surrounding the colon could be clear and then have something turn up in the neck? How much can they typically see on the ultrasound? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Worried sick right now.....
Last edited by amm0723 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DH Stage 2 dx 12/13 Age 39
right-hemicolectomy 12/13
05/14 distant lymph found
05/14 FOLFOX started

jdepp

Re: swollen lymph node in neck

Postby jdepp » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:46 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12325&p=93151&hilit=Supraclavicular#p92880

I had a similar situation where the supraclavicular node was the only sign of something wrong. It turned out to be nothing but if you click the link you will see that it freaked me out, too.

Best wishes and hoping your node is settling down.

Jdepp
Last edited by jdepp on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colon dx 08 @ 41 Poorly diff. 12+ liver mets, 19/28 LN
Colon rsx /14 x Folfox-Erbitux 08-09
PVE / Liver rsx 09
Lung & LN mets 10
Folfiri, Xeloda, Avastin 10-13
Xelox, Erbitux, UFUR, TS-1, Oxi, Lonsurf 14-16
Stivarga & TIL trial 16
Brain lesion, RO688 trial 18

scattered edge
Facebook Username: Rosie Englebert-Elmore

Postby scattered edge » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:07 pm

I had swelling on my left side. After a needle biopsy, then a surgical biopsy, turned out to be mets. I hope you husband's turns into nothing

Rosie
resection 2/11/11
T3N2M0 (17/24LN)
joined the IV olympians ..... 7/12 mets to distant nodes
mets to pancreas, liver, spine
chemo for life, panitumumab for now

amm0723

Postby amm0723 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:43 pm

Thank you both for your replies. Jdepp...I'm glad yours turned out to be nothing. I'm really hoping that because DH's is on the right side it is not cancer. I'm also holding onto the fact that nothing showed up in the chest area. His last CT scan was done about 6 weeks ago and the liver and lungs were clear.
05/14 FOLFOX started

tchan8888

Postby tchan8888 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:25 pm

In my case, the Drs knew beforehand that it was likely LN mets. There was no spread from my colon to any organs, but there was spread in local and distant LN. The LN on the left side of the neck became enlarged and is one of the markers that I checked while I was on the chemo break and showed me that the mets were growing.

The only way to know is through the biopsy, however. Praying that there is nothing to be of concern.

Blessings,

Tom
Tom, 49 now
12/12 Right Hemicolectomy 2X (29 days in hospital)
12/12 Stage IV: multiple distant LN; no organs
20X: FOLFIRI (stopped working)
8X: 5FU
8X: FOLFOX and Avastin
2016: Clinical trial pembrozilumab MSI high

amm0723

Postby amm0723 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:00 pm

Well the ultrasound didn't give us any more insight but they did discover that he has 2 more that are swollen in the same area. They ordered an x-ray of the chest (which was clear) and they also checked all LN in the aorta region as well as in the spleen and the only ones that are swollen are the ones on the right side of his neck. Now they are sending us for a biopsy and the radiologist has scheduled a CT scan (this will be his 3rd in 4 months!). The hospital that is doing the biopsy also wants to repeat the u/s before they do the biopsy which means more waiting.
We are so confused as to what this could mean. If it is the cc that has spread, why is it showing up in the right supraclavicular node? He has had 2 other CT scans that have been clear. Pathology on colon that was taken showed no evidence of cancer cells and all 39 ln were clear!!! What could this be???? Could he actually have something completely different? Another primary cancer? I am going crazy with worry. I don't know how to function daily right now. I look at my 3 kids and have to fight back the tears. My Dh is walking around in a daze and I don't know what to do to help him.
05/14 FOLFOX started

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Re: swollen lymph node in neck - update

Postby Bev G » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:27 pm

Lots of stuff can cause swollen neck lymph nodes. MOST OF THOSE THINGS ARE NOT CANCER!! They are doing the things they are obligated to do to rule it out, and I betcha they will. God knows it's hard to wait---seems that most of us are always waiting for something. With your husbands history I believe the chance of these being malignant is very, very small. Just try to hang in there....start planning next Christmas or something. While you're at it, come up here to Vermont and take some of the 14" of snow that fell last night. :roll: :roll: Happy Spring, Happy Hope!

Hugs to you,

Bev

PS Please add your DH's info in your signature line...just go to your profile and you can do it there. Thanks.
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

amm0723

Postby amm0723 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks Bev...I'm going to cling to your words for the next week or so I think. I have been telling myself those same things over and over but then the other half takes over and I start thinking the worst. My husband said today that he thinks it is something. He is usually pretty optimistic but this is really bringing him down. I know that the waiting is the hardest part and our minds will do awful things. It is so scary when your life is put in the hands of strangers and you have to have complete faith in them.

I added my DHs info...hopefully that is correct.
05/14 FOLFOX started

chrissyrice

Postby chrissyrice » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:33 pm

I am so sorry you and your husband are going through this awful waiting for answers.

Sure it could be one way or the other, but it's the not knowing and having to wait that is so hard.

I am never afraid of what I do know... it's all the stuff and days in between the not knowing and knowing that gets to me.

It's those days, that I too have had, waiting for answers... "is it back?" have been a good reminder that life is so precious and all the people that matter most to me.

The last time we went through the waiting on tests results it really made me aware of making time for being together with friends and family. I reached out to lots of people to pray and I really believe that I got good results because of their prayers.

Cancer sure changes our lives in so many ways and brings such feelings of fear that my coping skills are always in overdrive when that time(s) of year comes round for CT and visits to the doctor.

I pray and hope that this is just something other than cancer for your husband... my last scare turned around from bone cancer in my pelvis to a healing fracture of the hip.

Waiting to hear from you again with good news.
DX 10-31-09 Surgery 12-1-09 Sigmoid Colon
Stage IIIb T3,N2,MX; Chemo Feb 2010-Aug 2010; 4 rounds Folfox; 8 rounds 5FU +LV
12/2010 PET/CT Scan, Cancer Free
7/2012 CT Scan NED 2 years
10/2013 NED 3 years
8/2014 NED 4 years
Recurrence 6/2015: iliac lymph node(s)
8/2015 Surgery: 3 cm tumor removed+iliac artery graft
3/2016 CT Scan Stable
6/2016 Stable
9/2016 Stable
12/2016 Stable
3/2017 Stable
Recurrence 6/2017
12/2017 Surgery removed all cancer w/ clean margins
07-27-2018 Cancer-free for 7 months

amm0723

Postby amm0723 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:13 am

The waiting continues...we still don't have any clear answers. My husband has since been told that there are 5 swollen masses in the neck. 3 of them are in the cervical area and 2 seem to be below the thyroid. We have now had a CT, bloodwork, U/S and an x-ray. The CT was done on the chest and throat area (they were also able to see the liver). No sign of organ involvement, thyroid was clear, mediastinum is clear, liver is clear. The ultrasound only showed the swollen nodes in the neck area...none in the chest, aorta or spleen area. X-ray of chest was clear however they did mention on the report that the lung markings are mildly increased at the bases suggesting bronchitis (DH isn't sick though). In regards to the bloodwork his CEA is now at 0.9 which is up from 0.2 but obviously well within the normal range. This is causing us a bit of stress though. We are scheduled to see the oncology dept on Monday and the biopsy is scheduled for Wednesday. This has been going on for 4 weeks now! The CT scan in the summary says that the findings could be indicative of Lymphoma, metastic disease or reactive change. I have researched lymphoma for hours and don't feel like this fits. Unless it is really early as he has no other symptoms at all. The metastic cancer is concerning me the most. We were told that we caught the tumor as early as possible as there wasn't even evidence of cancer in the piece of colon removed in the hemi-colectomy (which lead us to the conclusion that the polyp that was removed contained all the cells).
I know that you are all well aware of the anxiety that comes with the waiting. I was physically sick to my stomach the night of the CT. I was sure they were going to find a mass somewhere. But then they didn't and we felt relief. Now we are back in the low spot waiting for answers. It is just such a roller coaster. We were just starting to plan for the future after the surgery and recovery and then BAM we get hit with this. Now we just sit and wait. This sucks!
05/14 FOLFOX started

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”