Is anyone working through chemo?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
christy217

Is anyone working through chemo?

Postby christy217 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:10 pm

Some background info on me:
New to the boards, diagnosed in Feb 06, a week after I turned 29 with stage II colon cancer, I have the HNPCC gene that causes colon cancer. My polyp was the first and only polyp I've ever had and it was cancerous, ony 3.2cm, but since family hx is strong, I had a total colectomy, with ileo-rectal anastomasis. No cancer to 16 out of 16 lymph nodes, they also took my appendix and it was clear, however, it did eat through all four walls of my colon, so they consider it stage II.
They recommended, 3 different oncologists, 6 months of chemo-Oxaliplatin, Lecovorin, and 5FU for me to take. I am supposed to have a total of 600 hours of chemo, 4 in office on Mondays and then come home with a pump for 46 hours-I have 12 cycles of this, I've only been through 1.
My work only has to hold my job for 12 weeks, I was out on STD beginning in Feb 06 and then converted to LTD. I don't want to lose my job, as before all this happened we just purchased a new house, we had built-which took us years to accomplish this goal, and one week after we move in, we find this out! However, I am thankful to only have Stage II, I know it could be worse.
I was just wondering if you've had a similar experience with work, STD, LTD etc, and what you did for your situation.
TIA :wink:
My Blog:
http://www.cdcafe.blogspot.com

Image Drew Wonka-our furbaby

HeidiMarie

Hi

Postby HeidiMarie » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:35 pm

Hi my name is Heidi,
I was DX in Nov of 05, At first before surgery in Dec they thought due to my CT scans on the bones and Liver that at the very most I was stage two..but unfortunatly things weren't that way, as the surgeon was doing the surgery she checked my other organs and felt lumps, and also took out most of the left side of my colon and part of my rectum, along with my left ovarie and also appendix. She re ordered the CT scan of the liver WITH DYE THIS TIME (why didn't they do that the first time???? but anyway it turns out there are 11 tumors in the liver and I have two lymph nodes. I have no "bag" and the plumbing for the most part is normal.

I started the same chemo drugs that you are on, hair thinned out but never lost it, and also go home on the pump for an additional 46 hours, usually the day I am unhooked I go into work for whats left of the work day usually 12-5pm and then until the next treatment. And I am fine. I was just taken off the Oxyplaton due to the side effects lasting longer and longer, also I was told by my doc that people are usually taken off that after six months as it starts to become toxic to the kidneys, it would have been 6 months for me being on it this month and he was actually pleased that I tolerated it as long as I did as most people don't stay on it that long due to bad reactions. I will also never "take for grantit" anything cold again. I am not sure how long I will have to be on Chemo my DR just says a long time, I also forgot to mention that I was 32 when DX. I have been married going on three years and we have a 1 year old, and also two each from previous mariages they range from 16,14,11,7 and ours together the one year old. It's not easy only the baby and my 11 yr old live with us. I am going to go to the cancer treatment centers of america in Philly for a second opinion next Sunday.
Heidi

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:09 pm

Hi Christy! Welcome to the Colon Club.

I was dx with Stage IIIa Colon Cancer in Jan. of 2005 at the age of 50. I had surgery right away and had 7 inches of my colon removed. I started Chemo the 2nd week of Feb. for 6 months as well. I took Oxaliplatin, Lecovorin, and 5FU as well and hair just thinned. I worked full time throughtout my chemo treatments except for the treatment days then just worked 1/2 days. It all depends on what kind of job you have whether you can work full time or not. I am a Secretary/Receptionist so sit most of the time so was able to do it. I would never been able to do it if I had to stand all day or had to do a job that required more of me. Even at that, I used to come home after work and sleep for about 1 1/2 hours, get up and eat then go right back to bed and sleep all night. This worked great for me. You just have to listen to your body and rest when it says you need to. I really think it helped me get throught the Chemo by working Christy. It kept my mind off the Cancer and Chemo and helped the days go by faster I think. Having people around to make you laugh and something to keep your mind off your troubles helps a lot!!! I don't know if this helped you or not, but hope so!!! Feel free to email me if I can help. Hang in there and know that you are in everyone's prayers here!!!

Peg HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSss

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:23 pm

I was diagnosed in Jan 2006 with stage III cancer at age 34. I am taking folfox which is the same chemo as you. I am off work for the duration because my medical plan allows for it. I think that if I had to work, physically I could and mentally, it would probably do me a lot of good to keep my mind occupied. The only challenge I would have is the amount of trips to the hospital. I have had a lot of small complications like infections at the PICC site, low counts and other small stuff that makes it seem like I am always at the hospital.

I thought that when I was on Chemo, I would be constantly sick and spending all my time over a toilet, one way or another. This has not been the case at all. the antiemetics take care of most of the nausea and I only experience fatigue.

You should be able to work, but listen to your body and your #1 priority right now is to take care of yourself. You don't need to be a superwoman, just get better!!

Feel free to contact me if you would like more info.

Sharon

cbroughton

Chemo and Relay for Life

Postby cbroughton » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:04 pm

Hi
I haven't been too active on the Message Board, but I wanted to tell you that our daughter---23, Stage 3b has finished up her chemo treatments. She was on Fulfox5, oxalyplatin, leuvokorin, and Avastin. She will continue the Avastin for another 6 mos. After her last treatment, we went to a nearby Relay for Life, pump and all, and she actually joined in the Survivors walk. I was overwhelmed. She was a little annoyed because I couldn't stop sobbing, but I guess it's a mom thing. Then, I walked with her in the Caregivers' Procession.
She's come through this so well; she's had some fatigue but after the first treatments, we knew what her reactions would be and the doctors were able to give her medicine to just about eliminate side effects. She continued to have jaw clenching and chest tightness, but Tylenol and Benedryl helped quite a bit. She's stayed in grad. school, earned 2 A's and an A- and in March received a graduate assistanship for 20 hrs. a week...just right...not too demanding, but distracts her from dwelling on her health.
This website has been a god send...I've said this before...and the Colondar such an inspiration.
Wishing you all health and happiness,
Candace

Jen28

Postby Jen28 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:26 am

Hi Christy,

I did 12 cycles of FOLFOX for Stage IIIA colon cancer. I am a lawyer and ended up working for the first half of my chemo, and then taking a leave of absence on disability for the second half of my chemo. I work at a large law firm and normally work very long hours. I did my hospital chemo infusion on Fridays, with the 46 hour drip over the weekends. When I was working, I'd take the Fridays of the infusion and the following Mondays off. At the beginning, I worked the rest of the time; after a while, the fatigue made it so that I had to work half days for the rest of the first week after chemo. About three months in to my chemo, I decided that I was pushing myself too hard trying to be productive at work and get through the chemo and its side effects, and I decided to take a leave of absence. I'm really glad that I took the leave--I missed the routine of work and seeing all of my co-workers, but I found that I had more energy and felt better when I stopped focusing on work and focused instead on letting my body recover. I think you should do whatever feels best to you--if you will feel best maintaining a routine at work, then try to keep working; if trying to work is adding stress to your life, then taking STD/LTD is probably better.

Jen

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”