Prep for colonoscopy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Gaelen

Re: Prep for colonoscopy

Postby Gaelen » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:47 am

unfortunately, *none* of my docs at Sloan-Kettering consider the osmiprep (pills) to provide a clean enough scan.
If you have an ostomy, you are (sometimes) permitted to irrigate.
If you can't irrigate, it's golytely...and I promptly begin vomiting somewhere around 32 oz. This last time, the resident on call talked me through the prep, but also told me I did NOT have to finish it if I got past 42 oz.

Guess where I stopped?
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

kitty,rn

Postby kitty,rn » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:01 pm

weisssoccermom wrote:Kitty,

Please make sure that you DRINK DRINK and DRINK some more with the OsmoPrep. I took them last year for my colonoscopy and they really aren't bad. If you don't swallow them right away, they taste very salty, but other than that its no big deal. However, be aware that the pills can severely dehydrate you so make sure you drink. If you don't, they will have trouble getting an IV line in - mine took over 45 minutes for them to get started!

As for the chest CT, no many oncs don't order it after a while either. I was diagnosed two years ago and when my doc ordered my most recent CT scan (scheduled for February) he didn't order the chest either. Makes me a little nervous so I pushed for my GP to add it to the orders. Better to be safe than sorry and when you're already under the scan why not???

Good luck on your scope.

Jaynee

Thanks, Jaynee! As others have said previously in this thread, I realize that I must really force fluids with OsmoPrep. I plan to increase fluids the day before the prep starts and will be diligent about drinking even more than I think is necessary since I not only don't want to be dehydrated, but also want to ensure a good, clean prep so the Dr. can see everything as clearly as possible. I'm highly motivated and just so thankful to get the chance to try the pills for once after 5 bowel preps including Golytely, Mag Citrate, Fleets Phosphosoda, and Miralax in one year! :|
Stage I rectal cancer 2/07, age 51, found during colonoscopy
Laparoscopic LAR 4/07
Rectovag fistula caused by anastamosis staple; loop ileostomy 5/07
Flap repair of fistula 7/07; Failed 8/07
Open LAR for takedown of fistula 1/08
Ileostomy reversal 2/08

Terry Miller

Postby Terry Miller » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:19 pm

The last time I prepped for a colonoscopy, I stood in front of the bathroom mirror and yelled at my reflection for being such a whiny, "girly-man". It took me about 25 minutes to down a shot glass full of phospho soda. I can throw down the same amount of Tequila in about 2 seconds. I did the Go-Litely with my first colonoscopy. Unfortunately, I had to repeat the procedure two weeks later as I prepped for my colon resection. I vividly remember throwing the last eight ounces down the drain with a feeling of triumphant contempt. My next test is in February, 2010. I'll probably still act like the "girly-man".

Best wishes to all,
Terry Miller

allidoiswait

Postby allidoiswait » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:17 pm

I've got a c'scopy tomorrow around 10am....currently in the middle of my Osmoprep. Other than being ABSOLUTELY sloshy with Gatorade, I'm just fine. However, it's been over 2.5 hours since I started the first round of pills (finished 'em almost two hours ago), and nothing's goin' on. This is my first time for a c'scopy---is this normal? I set the bathroom all up nice 'n' pretty, but I'm currently laying on my bed wondering a) will it EVER work, and b) if it does start working now, how LATE am I gonna be awake!!?

Heheh. Any input would be fabulous.

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:18 am

I remember thinking the same thing. Then they worked and worked well. I wasn't up late at all - I'd say by 8PM I was pretty much done. Just remember to keep drinking and drinking or they will have a difficult time accessing your veins.

Good luck on the scope. Please let us know how it goes.
Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”