and now I wait....

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BigRed1984

and now I wait....

Postby BigRed1984 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:48 am

Greetings! My name is Erika, I am 29 and I just had my first colonoscopy yesterday due to rectal bleeding and a strong family history of colon cancer. I was expecting it to be a breeze as my GI had already diagnosed my bleeding as coming from a fissure...but, he found a polyp! It was toward the end of my colon on the right side, flat, and about 1cm. He seemed a little concerned about it being on the right side, but told me not to worry it should come back benign. I am in a tizzy, I have had cancer before, melanoma, and when the doctor took off that mole he looked concerned but said he was sure it was benign. Is there any advice you have to get me through this waiting game? It's hard to relax and I have two little babies ages 3 years and 5 months. I have read online that flat polyps are more likely to turn cancerous and also right sided polyps too. This makes me very concerned that I have cancer again. Is a 1cm polyp large? I thought it sounded small until I talked to relatives and their polyps have been in the millimeter range. Anywho, I realize that even if this is the worst, I'm probably in a good place as far as discovering it early. It's just a scary time for me.

some

Re: and now I wait....

Postby some » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi Erika. Welcome.

I sure hope it comes back benign. You also know now that you should be checked regularly. Have you been tested for Lynch Syndrome? You are very young and I think I read somewhere that melanoma can be related to this syndrome as are many cancers of the GI system. It is a good thing to know so you can have your checks done in line and make sure your children are tested as well. We hope you never have to really join this club.

We all know the pain of the wait very well. In my case it is as a caregiver to my husband.

Best to you.

Serena
DH (age 41) diag Stage IV mets to peritoneum - July 2012 (undetectable on CT PET or MRI)
Folfox 7 & Avastin started July 2012 CEA, CA 19-9 not indicators
HIPEC surgery 1/18/13
Folfiri/Erbitux - March 2013
Lots of prayers.

Deb m

Postby Deb m » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:44 pm

Hi Erika,

Did they remove the polyp during the scope exam? If it is cancer, it sounds like it was a very early find, and I'm sure everything will be fine. I know the waiting game is the worst part, but try and stay positive. I have know people who have had a polyp much larger than 1cm and came back benign, and I have also know some to have smaller polyps that are cancerous. Either way, just remember it is small which is good.

Best wishes,

Debbie

orcasres

Postby orcasres » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:55 pm

Erika,

You have come to the right place for support. There are lots of possible outcomes for this so try and stay positive. Since polyps usually do have the potential for turning cancerous years down the road, it is good you have found it. Also, genetic testing for Lynch syndrome is a good idea with your family history and your other cancer history. So breathe deeply and let us know how it goes.

Lois
63 yo F
Colon resection Sept. 2010
pT3N0M0 Stage 2A
Medullary Tumor 6.5cm long
Lymphovascular invasion
Lynch negative
12 FOLFOX 11/2010 to 5/2011 8 w/Oxi
NED so far

BigRed1984

Postby BigRed1984 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks for the support! Yes, they did remove it during the colonoscopy, I do not know if they removed the whole thing or just a sample of it. When I spoke to the doctor I was quite sedated. Do you think they can tell much by how it looks? I am so thankful he suggested the colonoscopy, no matter what this outcome is it could have been much worse. I have not been tested for Lynch but I am going to ask to be at my follow up. I am surprised my family hasn't been tested yet as there is a lot of colon cancer. I'll keep you guys posted. They said 1-2 weeks by mail, and obviously by phone if it's the bad news.

nkoske

Postby nkoske » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:39 pm

I would not be overly concerned. I had a 1cm sessile polyp (flat polyp) in my transverse colon in addition to my tumor down south. It was not malignant.

Be relieved that they got the sucker. In all likelihood it's not cancer and it will not have the chance to become cancer. Tumors in the ascending colon (right side) in young folks typically aren't found untill stage III or Iv because they typically don't have symptoms as early as more distal tumors. In the incredibly rare chance it's cancer...1cm is pretty small so it was caught really early. I know it's hard but look at the positives.

You are young to be having polyps (my wife had one too @30, and doc thought it was strange) so I'd suggest asking about increased screening. Maybe every 3-5 years instead of 10. Typically you should start being screened 10 year earlier than the earliest relative with colon cancer (i.e. my son will have his first colonoscopy @ 24 since I was diagnosed at 34...lucky him).

If you can be Lynch tested get tested for your kids sake. If you are there's a 50-50 chance each of your kids is also lynch positive. If Lynch positive the screening increases (and they add an upper endoscopy to check out the stomach), as it something like an 80% chance or colon cancer in your life if positive. There are also other related cancers.
Nick, DX @ age 34, IIIB Rectal Cancer 10/2012
ChemoRad IMRT 11/2012
Laparoscopic LAR 1/2013 (No Ileo)
Post Surgery Path IIIB (2/15 LN)
Chemo 2/2013 (XelOx)
Currently NED, Graduated from Med Onc 10/2017

BigRed1984

Postby BigRed1984 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:00 pm

Thank you for the reassurance Nick. You talked me down a little bit. I will try to relax. It's hard with my previous cancer history. I keep flashing back to getting the news, breaking it to my husband and family, the months of depression afterward....not pretty stuff as you know. I feel very grateful I have such a good GI, he took one look at my family history and said I needed to start getting screened. He was right! I wish you good health for yourself and your family.

UAJessie

Postby UAJessie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi Erika---
I understand your concern....I had a sessile serrated polyp found this past fall at the age of 33. It was smaller (2-3mm) but was also in the right-side colon and was removed completely during the colonoscopy. It was not malignant, but since it is a pre-cancerous type of polyp, I will be getting screened again in 3 years. I was screened after slight rectal bleeding and a GI bug that just would not go away. I do not have a family history, but I am SO thankful that my GI doc did not just write me off as "too young". Had he not done the colonoscopy, who knows where I would have ended up when I finally did get screened at the "appropriate age" of 50 (or before for that matter)? I am still a bit freaked out to be honest (obviously since I am still lurking on this board), but I just have to keep telling myself that it was removed and I just need to stay on top of my future screenings. Please do keep us posted with how it turns out. I am sure all will be fine!

Jessie

BigRed1984

Postby BigRed1984 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:07 am

Jessee, Yep it's difficult stuff. I'm glad yours turned out to be benign. I am praying mine does too! Keep up the screenings. :D

joybella

Postby joybella » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:14 am

My gastro doctor told me that he can almost always tell by sight whether a polyp is cancerous or not. Of course there are exceptions but odds are in your favor if your doctor thinks it's benign. Best of luck to you.
8-20-13 Colon Cancer II A
Distal Cecum/Appendix
5 cm
20 nodes-negative
9-20-13 Hemicolectomy
Joy

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”