information and questions about HIPEC

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Julie YW
Facebook Username: Julie.yip-williams

information and questions about HIPEC

Postby Julie YW » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:45 am

Hello All,

I'm investigating HIPEC as it seems like an appropriate procedure for me. Here's a link to my most recent post which contains a lot of information I gathered from Dr. Labow at Mt.Sinai in case anyone else finds the information useful. I wanted to ask though for those who have done the research before me what are the arguments against HIPEC. It seems to me after reading a few studies (and hearing summaries from my husband who has seemingly read everything on the topic) the arguments against are (1) there hasn't been any broad study of its effectiveness (the existing studies contained a limited number of cases from multiple countries in the range of 15 to 100) so there isn't anything really definitive to speak to its effectiveness so there's risk in that regard, (2) as a corollary to (1), there are arguments about selection biases for the existing studies meaning that the people who do well would have done well in the studies would have done well anyway under more traditional chemotherapy treatment and (3) given that uncertainty, the surgery can be quite serious with serious complications.

It seems to me that while HIPEC seems more effective for other types of cancer (such as appendicital or ovarian cancer), it is nonetheless a life extender if not necessarily a life saver in most cases. It also seems to me purely based on anectodal information that no one ever seems to "regret" doing HIPEC. I'm interested in hearing from naysayers and proponents of HIPEC. Thanks.

Julie

http://julieyipwilliams.wordpress.com/2 ... ews-maybe/
DX July 2013, 37yo
12 of 68 LN
Stage IV w/ drop peri met
Folfox 8/12/13
Clean scans 1/24/14
Rising CEA 2/13/14
HIPEC 3/13/14
Folfiri 4/21/14
Recurrence in lungs 12/19/14
Xeloda & Avastin
Follow my blog: http://julieyipwilliams.wordpress.com/about/

jdepp

Re: information and questions about HIPEC

Postby jdepp » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:30 am

Julie,

There have been discussions of prophylactic HIPECs on this forum. Skifletch had one and his situation was similar to yours in some ways. You might search those terms for more details -- here's one of the related threads.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12837&p=97371&hilit=prophylactic+hipec#p97371
Colon dx 08 @ 41 Poorly diff. 12+ liver mets, 19/28 LN
Colon rsx /14 x Folfox-Erbitux 08-09
PVE / Liver rsx 09
Lung & LN mets 10
Folfiri, Xeloda, Avastin 10-13
Xelox, Erbitux, UFUR, TS-1, Oxi, Lonsurf 14-16
Stivarga & TIL trial 16
Brain lesion, RO688 trial 18

Julie YW

Postby Julie YW » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:42 am

Thanks jdepp. I wouldn't have thought to search for that term. I tried just HIPEC and just got a lot of stuff that wasn't responsive to my questions.

Julie
DX July 2013, 37yo
12 of 68 LN
Folfox 8/12/13
Clean scans 1/24/14
Rising CEA 2/13/14
HIPEC 3/13/14
Folfiri 4/21/14
Xeloda & Avastin

jdepp

Postby jdepp » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:48 am

It's a term that comes up in google scholar & other databases, e.g. this article.

"Prevention and early treatment of peritoneal metastases from colorectal cancer: Second-look laparotomy or prophylactic HIPEC?"

Good luck with this. My own 2-cent advice would be to have the laparoscopy and give the surgeon very clear indications for the hipec go-ahead.
Colon dx 08 @ 41 Poorly diff. 12+ liver mets, 19/28 LN
Colon rsx /14 x Folfox-Erbitux 08-09
PVE / Liver rsx 09
Lung & LN mets 10
Folfiri, Xeloda, Avastin 10-13
Xelox, Erbitux, UFUR, TS-1, Oxi, Lonsurf 14-16
Stivarga & TIL trial 16
Brain lesion, RO688 trial 18

juliekei

Postby juliekei » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:56 am

Hi Julie,
Just wanted to say that I am sending you strength and prayers. I have had two "successful" HIPECs with Dr. Labow. I was home after 4 nights in the hospital each time and I'm still fighting. Recently had VATS and am doing well on Xeloda. I am happy to speak with you any time...
Don't give up.

Julie
Dx Stage 4 8/10 age 38 (mom of 2)
LH 9/10
5FU/Folfox
SBO surgery 8/11
HIPEC#1 6/12
8 rounds of FOLFIRI
HIPEC#2 5/13
VATS for 3 lung nodules 1/14
Xeloda & Avastin
SBRT 8/14
Fistula 4/15
Radiation to pelvic tumor 7/15
Liver/Peri mets 11/15

Indefatigable

Postby Indefatigable » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:41 am

Julie

You may find this useful, or not. I don't know. But you seem to have a pretty good handle on it already.

http://meetinglibrary.asco.org/presentationBySession/3991

For what it's worth, my wife has had a HIPEC. In short: PCI 15, CC-0. Gallbladder, spleen, colon, ovaries/uterus all gone. Small bowel resection with temporary illeostomy. 8 weeks in hospital (3 laparotomies; 1 thoractomy). What now looks to be a permanent ureteric stent (which has been swapped out twice already due to blockage/infection). Lost about 14 kgs. Not meaning to be discouraging, but I think it's worth having a counter perspective to Julie's 'in and out in a few days' experience. (I'm certainly happy you were Julie!, but I always shake my head in disbelief when I read comments like that . My wife didn't even wake up for four days!).

Having said all of that, Wifey is now 6 months post surgery and is NED (two clear scans). So in spite or Dr Ryan's reservations, for the meantime it appears to have all been worth it. Time will tell.

Best wishes.

I.

debb

Postby debb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:49 am

Hi...I'm sorry you're going through this. I just wanted to share my story with you. I was also a HIPEC patient of Dr. L., whom I love.

I was diagnosed at 3C with tumor just above rectum. I had surgery before chemo, no radiation. Chemo was 12x FOLFOX, but oxi was discontinued after round 8, due to an allergic reaction. In 2010, a scan picked up cancer in my right ovary. I had surgery to remove both ovaries, but before the surgery date, the cancerous ovary had ruptured. The fluid in my abdominal cavity was tested, and the pathology for the fluid was negative for CRC, and the ovary was positive for CRC.

Of course, I was worried that the rupture release fluid that was cancerous, so I pursued HIPEC. The other option given to me was IP FUDR, which is a treatment of chemo administered through a port in your abdomen. Direct chemo is the best option for peritoneal mets. I decided to go with HIPEC, even though there was no evidence of cancer in my ab. I wanted to kill any possible microscopic cells, so prophylactic, I guess.

As such, my HIPEC was less invasive. No organs, other than my omentum, was removed (Tested Negative). Dr. L. had a good look around inside of me, saw no other cancer to be removed. And then he did chemo shake and bake on me. With no other cytoreduction, and just the chemo bath, recovery is easier, I guess, than when they have to cut out and remove a lot of stuff. I was out of the hospital in less than 5 days.

Dr. L. said I was a "boring" patient. I'll take that as a compliment! I guess I was one of those surgical candidates who may have done well otherwise (being young, healthy and fit), but I guess we'll never truly know. I have never regreted for one minute having had this done.

In 2012, I had VATS for a lung nodule. However, this nodule was on the scan that found the ovarian mass, but the lung nodule as not noted at that time. On subsequent scans, the lung nodule was noted and compared. It was so slowly growing..never got above 1mm. They weren't sure it was even cancer, but I took no chances, and scheduled VATS. It was CRC, and there was a second even smaller nodule nearby that was also removed. So this lung nodule was already present, but not noted when I had HIPEC. I have been clear ever since. I did not have chemo after either VATS or HIPEC.

If you have any questions that I can help you with, please PM me. Good Luck!
2008, Stage 3C, age 42, mom of 4
Folfox 9/08-2/09
Met to right ovary, both removed 7/10
HIPEC 8/10
VATS 7/12, right lung
10/14 Stivarga clinical trial
3/15-7/15 Folfiri & avastin
8/16 Folfiri & avastin
Break! 10 months of freedom
1/18 - 4/23 many Folfiri & Avastin
6/23 Clinical trial REGN7075. Progression
8/23 radiation to femurs and L4
9/23 rechallenged Folfox. Allergic reaction at 4th infusion
11/23 will start Bot/Bal

Rheaeliza

Postby Rheaeliza » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:01 pm

I also had my HIPEC by Dr. Labow. While I am happy with my decision, and absolutely cannon say enough good things about him, this is a major surgery, and while mortality from the actual surgery and during the surgery is low, complications can arise.

I am young, otherwise healthy, and in good shape, and I still had complications, infection, and a 3.5 week hospital stay. When I got home, I was physically and emotionally a wreck. I had lost over 30 lbs, I got winded walking to the corner, I needed a step stool to get into bed. I fell into a depression and questioned the surgery all the time. This is of course not typical, but it can happen. Also take note that I had 5 organs removed plus colon resection during the HIPEC, so...that's tough.

Again, feel free to reach out.

Best,
Rhea
12/7/12: 30 yrs. old, Dx stage 4b.mets to liver, ovary, nodes, ommentum.
7 months chemo, shrinkage!
8/26/13 HIPEC, colon resection,hysterectomy, appndx, gallbladder out.
9/12/13:leak in colon, temp. loop ileost, home 9/18
11/3/13: liver resect.
1/2014 Ostomy reversal, one week later, abcess surg., fistula, tpn.
No more chemo, NED since 11/13

Julie YW

Postby Julie YW » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:58 am

I've decided to move forward with HIPEC with Dr. Labow. Here's my latest post with more information about HIPEC for others who may be now or in future trying to decide whether to do it.

http://julieyipwilliams.wordpress.com/2 ... -and-more/
DX July 2013, 37yo
12 of 68 LN
Folfox 8/12/13
Clean scans 1/24/14
Rising CEA 2/13/14
HIPEC 3/13/14
Folfiri 4/21/14
Xeloda & Avastin

Rheaeliza

Postby Rheaeliza » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:22 pm

I think that's wonderful, and good luck to you. I have posted to you more than once that I know you are in good hands with dr. Labow.

Ps, I went off of avastin 6 weeks before hipec but stayed on xeloda and irrinotecan I believe until 10 days or so prior to hipec.

Julie YW

Postby Julie YW » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:24 pm

Rhea, that's really interesting. He told me 3 weeks off chemo before and after surgery.
DX July 2013, 37yo
12 of 68 LN
Folfox 8/12/13
Clean scans 1/24/14
Rising CEA 2/13/14
HIPEC 3/13/14
Folfiri 4/21/14
Xeloda & Avastin

Rheaeliza

Postby Rheaeliza » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:32 pm

I just looked it up and I'm totally wrong. I had my regular chemo, and would have had been due up the Wednesday before surgery but skipped that one and had surgery 5 days later. So it was a little less than 3 weeks but times well, so I only felt like I was "off chemo" for those 5 days. Sorry for the mis info! I know him and my oncologist weren't too concerned, also I was on a lower dose of xeloda and irrinotecan at that point too!

Good luck with the today show tomorrow! I'm going to try to tune in if I can get my butt out of bed!

scottg

Postby scottg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:55 pm

I am one of only a few who has done 2 HIPEC surgries,,, diagnosed 4/06 cancer free today,,,To sum it up,,what other choices do you have? chemo alone cures very few people and if you qualify for hipec it has 2-3x the success rate for long term survival..It is a big surgery especialy between chemos and the positive outcome stats are slightly scewed due to the selection process,,a combination of chemo and surgery seems to be the best chance for long term survival. always willing to talk 516 6505623,,,scott

Nester

Postby Nester » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:54 am

Hi scott sounds very interesting news to me i had one hipec but still had a recurrance 1'5 years after, i still have a little hope to get cured, your words are encouraging.

M.
Diag @ 30yo St IV 12/11 Appdx crcnma (mets to peri)
12/11 2x Colectomy (1 HIPEC)
2/12 - 7/12 CAPOX
2/12 - 5/13 NED
5/13 Explorative Surgery (1 small nodule found)
9/13 Start FOLFIRI
10/13 Obstruction - Surgery + Colostomy
1/14-6/14
Life @ sunset

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”