Exercise during treatment?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Charlie

Exercise during treatment?

Postby Charlie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Starting 4 rounds of Folfox (8 weeks)
Will I be able to exercise?
( I used to exercise regularly but haven't done a thing since diagnosis)

Thank you

BrownBagger

Re: Exercise during treatment?

Postby BrownBagger » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:31 pm

I exercised regularly and vigorously in all phases of my treatment (over the past 5 years), including recovering from surgery. Do what you can, but listen to your body and don't push too hard. Just start slow (walking slowly at first) and work your way up to whatever level you're comfortable at.

It's good to get fresh air in your lungs and it's good to get the blood pumping. Helps in so many ways: appetite, sleep, hydration, etc.

In addition, statistically speaking, there's nothing better for helping prevent a recurrence.

Good luck & keep us up to speed on how you're doing.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

juliej

Postby juliej » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Charlie, I exercised all throughout 24 months of chemo. Often I had to skip the first days following an infusion and wait until the chemo cleared out of my system, but then I was up for hiking, lifting weights, mountain climbing, biking, you name it. As time went on, the side-effects from chemo were more pronounced so I had to make some adjustments, like hydrating more and wearing protective gloves and stable running shoes, but I never stopped. Exercise also really helped me with the nausea. I'd leave the house feeling green around the gills and after a walk or a short run, I'd feel like eating.

For me it wasn't a choice. I was an active person before cancer and I knew I had to integrate the treatment into my active lifestyle. So I swore, even if my efforts were diminutive by comparison to my pre-chemo days, I would exercise as much as I could. There have been several studies showing the benefits of exercising during treatment, like the one below. Let me know if you want the links and I'll post them.

Researchers found similar results in another new study published this month, this one involving colorectal cancer survivors in the Netherlands. Those who exercised reported much less exhaustion and, in general, greater health-related quality of life than those who did not. “Fatigue and the fear of tiredness may be a barrier to physical activity for some people” who’ve survived cancer, said Laurien M. Buffart, a professor at VU University Medical Center in Amsterdam, who led the study. “But more and more evidence suggests the reverse,” that exercise energizes people who are undergoing or have completed cancer treatment.
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

elise

Postby elise » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:22 pm

Do what your body allows. I walked for more than hour almost every day. If my blistered feet let me, I often biked as well. Some days, I mustered 20 minutes with the dogs in the forest and crawled back to the couch. On a few occasions, getting from the bedroom to the bathroom was my workout. Listen to your body and respect it and you'll be alright.

Elise
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

laneylou

Postby laneylou » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:27 pm

I exercised through FOLFOX/5FU up until the last few infusions - even though I had some pretty decent proximal muscle weakness from the steroids and had had to do some PT/rehab in the middle there. I passed on working out while I was wearing the 5FU pump (too paranoid), and I was always totally exhausted around Day 5 or so when the steroid high wore off and I crashed. I did go to the gym here and there, but I was always worried about picking up a bug with my immune system being knocked down, so I went for a lot of walks and worked out at home mostly.

I ended up with some nerve issues (brought on mostly by the radiation I'd had) and had to do more PT, and now I am slowly, slowly working back up to exercising "for real". Right now I am walking and taking Pilates lessons (working on the reformer and the other Pilates machines has been SO good for me already), but looking forward to more strenuous impact exercise and getting back into the weight room. As others have said, in general I felt better when exercising on chemo, when my steroid/radiation issues weren't getting in the way.
Laine, dx @ 39, 4/12
T3N0M0 Stage IIA
Emergency IVF, 4/12
Chemorad, LAR/temp ileo, FOLFOX (no oxi after #2)
DVT on chemo; IVC filter
Reversal/port out 5/13
IVC filter finally out 2/14
NED (clean CT, scope, CEA)

Patience

Postby Patience » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:41 pm

Each person responds differently to each type of chemo that they might receive. What is "easy" for one, might be very difficult for another, and vice versa. While some can manage to keep working, for others, it is not possible. You'll need to listen to your own body, and do as much as you feel you safely can. And then be satisfied with the knowledge that although you might not be capable of doing what you did before, you are doing as much as you can under the current circumstances. And remember, even if things get difficult for you, once you are off a chemo, your body is often able to regain its strength faster than while you were on it. Hopefully, you will be one of those that can keep up your routine of work (and play) while on chemo. Good luck.
"Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you.
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you."

hdridin'fool

Postby hdridin'fool » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:08 am

Do what you feel comfortable doing. Walking is a great way to start. Light free weights will help restore some muscle tone to your arms.

Exercise is one of the best things you can do for your body and your mind. Just don't do too much at first. Ease into it and gauge how much you are capable of without hurting yourself. I usually lay off when wearing the pump and a couple of days after. Then it's up and at em.
62 /male.
Dx 11/15/2013. Stage IV mets liver & lungs.
3 dx Folfox.
6 dx Folfox w/Avastin: Tumor growth lungs and liver.
13 doses of Folfiri w/Avastin
Chemoemobolization Aug/14. PET shows halt in growth and reduced activity.

nkoske

Postby nkoske » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:06 am

I didn't do my normal workouts (going to the gym for some cardio and weight lifting) because I wanted to stay away from others and their germs. Didn't want to get sick on Chemo. I jogged a little, but I freaking hate running. A couple bike rides towing my son in the trailer. I also tried to walk 9 holes of golf twice a month.

Like the others have keep it within reason and listen to your body, but I think, like always, exercise is good for you. Even on chemo.
Nick, DX @ age 34, IIIB Rectal Cancer 10/2012
ChemoRad IMRT 11/2012
Laparoscopic LAR 1/2013 (No Ileo)
Post Surgery Path IIIB (2/15 LN)
Chemo 2/2013 (XelOx)
Currently NED, Graduated from Med Onc 10/2017

thisyearIwillwin!

Postby thisyearIwillwin! » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:55 am

Do any of you exercise (run) while wearing the 5FU pump? I haven't only because I haven't felt well enough on my chemo week. It would be nice knowing that I could.
DX @ 38
10/08 Stage 1 cc
11/08 sigmoid resec, temp ileo, rev 04/09
12/09 liver mets stage 4
02/10-09/10 FOLFOX
07/11 liver resec
09/11-02/12 Xeloda, x1 with oxi
01/13 lung mets x2
08/13-02/14 FOLFOX x8
11/13 VATS rt lung
10/14 brain met, craniotomy
12/14 radiation x2 weeks
01/15 chemo for life

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:10 pm

thisyearIwillwin! wrote:Do any of you exercise (run) while wearing the 5FU pump?

Check with your Onco first. If you have a true pump ( battery operated ) without any temperature sensitive valve device you may be OK.

IF you have the "baby bottle" type infusor (bag inside a bottle) it will come with a temperature sensitive device which delivers a higher flow rate when the body temperature increases i.e. exercise, fever, hot sun etc. and you can be at risk for high / toxic levels of 5FU delivered into your system.

Just an FYI !

Once the 5FU is unplugged .... you should be good to go !

Best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

horizon

Postby horizon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:55 pm

I was the same way as JulieJ. I said no matter what I can do I'm going to do something when I'm physically able to after my surgery recovery. I eventually settled into a schedule where I would get an infusion on Wed and on Monday I was back in the gym lifting weights.

There are plenty of stories about the benefits of exercise for cancer survivors. Here's one for example: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/exercise-is ... survivors/
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

DBF
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1000008

Postby DBF » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:42 pm

I've exercised throughout chemo except for the day I'm connected to the pump. I get connected every other Wednesday, so I go to the gym early. Then, on Thursday I don't go. My oncologist told me not to because or the body temp sensor, and also because she was worried about the tube getting caught on something. Then, after I disconnect the next day, I go to the gym for a "light" workout. This has worked for me. On days when I feel tired, I kind of drag myself there, even if I can only walk on the treadmill for a short time.

Keep us posted! And you can read the exercise thread to see what people have been up to- pretty impressive bunch!
6/13 Dx @ 29 Wks pregnant, 42 yo
Adenocarcinoma, mucinous
7/13 C-sec/col resec/part. hysterectomy
8/13 Pulm embolism
8/13 Spread to liver
9/13 Liver resection
FOLFOX
CEA UP
ADAPT: Xeloda/Celebrex
2/14 oopherectomy
10/15 obstruction surg
10/17 Scar tissue removal/vsg surg
2019: NED :)
2021: NED :D
2022: NED :)
Mom to 3 boys: 24, 13 & 9

tchan8888

Postby tchan8888 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:37 pm

For my first 12 treatments of Folfiri .... I didn't exercise .... on my chemo break, got back into the workout because I was 15 pounds over my fighting weight and couldn't fit into any of my clothes.

Now, am back on chemo .... 5FU only .... am working out the same as before (i.e., pre-diagnosis) except for the days that I have chemotherapy. So in a 14 day cycle, I will not exercise for 3 of those days.

I have to workout now so I don't gain weight .... and of course, it gives me something else to focus on ....

T
Tom, 49 now
12/12 Right Hemicolectomy 2X (29 days in hospital)
12/12 Stage IV: multiple distant LN; no organs
20X: FOLFIRI (stopped working)
8X: 5FU
8X: FOLFOX and Avastin
2016: Clinical trial pembrozilumab MSI high

Nester

Postby Nester » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:55 am

I'm going to ski when i'm on the second week of folfiri.
Don't have any trouble skiing like before even after 4 surgeries.

Still enjoying life.

The first days of folfiri i feel like crap and i keep sleeping but from the 4th days i start getting back my normal life.

Marco.
Diag @ 30yo St IV 12/11 Appdx crcnma (mets to peri)
12/11 2x Colectomy (1 HIPEC)
2/12 - 7/12 CAPOX
2/12 - 5/13 NED
5/13 Explorative Surgery (1 small nodule found)
9/13 Start FOLFIRI
10/13 Obstruction - Surgery + Colostomy
1/14-6/14
Life @ sunset

janderson

Postby janderson » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:19 am

I always exercised during treatment. Mainly mountain biking. I would always start the infusion on Wednesday and be out riding by Sunday Monday at the latest albeit a slow ride. Within a few days of riding I was feeling pretty good and back up to speed.
DX 10-05 stage IV
liver resection 12-05 Folfox1-05 to 7-06
Liver resection 8-07 Folfiri 9-07 to 3-08
Liver resection 12-11
Recurrence 2/7/2014, liver, chestwall mets, 16 rounds chemo
7/3/14, y90 radioembolization, steady shrinkage
12/8/14, cryoablation to liver and chest wall
6/1 to 6/26 SBRT radio surgery
7/2 more cryo ablation to right lung
7/16 lung infection drain tube installed
9/4 chest wall resection to remove 2 ribs

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”