Anyone doing Dr. Budwig Cottage Cheese Flaxseed oil thing?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
GMOH

Anyone doing Dr. Budwig Cottage Cheese Flaxseed oil thing?

Postby GMOH » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:05 am

I am trying this program after reading about it in naturopathic book. It is pretty awful. I am hoping some Colon Club members have figured out a way to make it more palatable.

PainInTheAss

Re: Anyone doing Dr. Budwig Cottage Cheese Flaxseed oil thin

Postby PainInTheAss » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:53 am

So, are you doing this in addition to or instead of conventional treatment?

The reason I am asking is that others (eg, Steve Jobs) have found that naturopathic methods don't work (he tried naturopathic methods first to avoid surgery, then did surgery later... they found mets on his liver when he did the surgery, so it's possible that the delay caused his cancer to spread - there's no way to know, but the naturpathic methods did not help). Here is a blog where the woman tried all kinds of naturopathic methods rather than conventional (she did NOT do surgery when diagnosed with stage I breast cancer and tried naturopathic methods to shrink her tumor) and her cancer advanced:

http://bisforbananascisforcancer.wordpress.com/

She regrets her decison and recommends that others do not follow in her footsteps, as do many others who chose naturopathic treatment INSTEAD of conventional.

If you have completed conventional treatment and are trying to do "everything you can" to lower your chances of recurrence or are stage IV and don't have any other options, then by all means do the Budwig Protocol and see if it helps. But beware that many naturpathic websites claim that conventional treatments kill (especially chemo) more than they save. It is simply a lie. Most Colon Club members seem to trust conventional treatment that has been proven effective in clinical trials, so don't be surprised if few or none are doing the Budwig Protocol.
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

vilca11
Location: Moscow, Russia; Baltimore, USA 1992; Vilcabamba, Ecuador 2012

Postby vilca11 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:31 am

GMOH, I've been looking into many alternatives, while doing conventional treatments. Budwig protocol seem to have good references, but I did not try it. I wanted something sustainable for life. Alternatives, IF they work, usually require lots of sacrifice and not for a year or two - for life. And the stats are that they work only 5% of patients - you have to try 7-8 of them to find the one that MIGHT work on you. So, usually, it is a choice for people who have nothing to lose - stage 4 choice....

Anyway, depending on what stage you have, I can recommend only one alternative that I personally witnessed as a good choice - it is Hoxsey protocol and treatment. I am stage 4 and it probably will not help me, but when I went to Tijuana, Mexico last fall, I've read tons of testimonials handwritten by thousands of their patients right there in the journals they have on the table in the clinic. These people come back every year, some are coming back for 10, 20, even 30 years - I was so surprised... So, if you absolutely do not want to go thru conventional tx and you are earlier stage than 4, I would say that this one is worth trying, judging by their testimonials. And what is most important - they DO NOT advertise. You can hardly see any info about their clinic on Internet. It is all word to mouth... And it is doable for a long long time - I am not sacrificing much on their protocol. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will write in detail what it involves. Also, what is important, they are the only clinic I found that does not charge the arm and a leg for the treatment.... All the rest suck unbelievable amount of money AFTER you sign up with them thinking that it is just a set amount that they proclaim on their sites....

I am sure it will be no harm per se to your body in doing Budwig, but if it does not work you've lost your time, which is very important for cancer patients. Our true hope is cell therapy that might be available sooner or later for colon cancer patients. While research is succeeding
in other types of cancer (e.g. today Sloan announced their success with one hard to treat leukemia type - 88% of complete remission when treated with genetically modified T-cells), per my oncologist in Johns Hopkins, there is no success with immunotherapy for colon cancer YET....

Hugs, Vilca :)
11/2005 CC stage 1, F,50yo@dx
Mod dif adenocar, MSS, APC, TP53, CEAs1.6-4.8
1/12 1met liver@Vena Cava, RFA, 3oxi,11 5FU
8/13 2 mets same place,SBRT
4/14 2 Xeliri+Avastin
5/14 Nano Knife liver same 2 mets
6/14 2 Xeliri, ADAPT
4/15 PET, 2 same mets,Cryo Liver
5/15 MJ Oil, Herbs, Suppl, ADAPT
10/15 PET, same area, doubled in size, high SUV
10/15 RH, HAI, visceral involv., no LN
2/16 red FF, 50% red dose FUDR, CEA trends up
3/16 CT, PET, MRI L.Lobe all in small tumors
4/16 No acceptable options, going home

curious56

Postby curious56 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:12 pm

As you can see from my siggy, I was unable to tolerate conventional treatments. I can, however, tolerate surgery. I "think" that the consensus of many on this board is that surgery is THE potentially curative treatment. Chemotheraphy/radiation helps some, doesn't help others. :( I have NO idea of the stats on "alternative" meds. Traditional meds undergo clinical trials -- typically, alternative/naturopathic meds do not. My guess..................NO BIG MONEY to be made from these.

Anyway, there are things that have shown promise/been proven IN clinical trials that do NOT involve chemo/radiation. This is a personal decision (much like religion, politics, sports, etc. :D ), so you really have to do your own homework. Here is where you can do your research:

http://www.pubmed.org (type in the item you are investigating and either "colon cancer" or "cancer" on the search line)

Through my research (and by "listening" to many smart folks and asking LOTS of questions), I have found these things which I am now taking:

Co Q10 (ubiquinol)
cimetidine (Tagamet)
Vitamin D3
green tea (I drink many, many cups per day)
stevia
grape seed extract
turmeric/curcumin
fish oil
flaxseed oil

I suspect there are several/many other things which have been shown to slow down tumors or induce apoptosis in colon cancer. (Keeping my ears open......ready to tweak my regimen!)

It is a lot like going back to school. Cancer is an education. I don't know anything about the effectiveness of the Budwig protocol.
dx 12/12 with CC Stage IIIB - T3N2aMO
6/18 nodes +
Resection sigmoid 12/12
Xelox 2/13 -- stopped, BAD side effects
Vegan and supplements
Clear scan 11/13
Met to abdomen - surgery 7/14
Philippians 4:6-7

vilca11

Postby vilca11 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:41 pm

Curious, you might want to add PSK, Genistein, Astragalus and Melatonin 20mg at night. They all are proven in studies to help. I am getting mine from LEF. Yes, it is quite expensive, and I think Cimetidine works for you now (for me it did not), but really worth it.... Besides, you'd need some liver cleansing in the form of Milk Thistle/Siymarin, imo, and a good immune stimulator. I am taking BIRM for the immune and Hoxsey prescribed Nutriferon - so, two immune stimulators. I am going to part with Hoxsey, since I do not think it would help with stage 4, and as a replacement just yesterday ordered what I've written on the first line from LEF. Plus, I also ordered a special Curcumin - it is called BCM95, also from LEF, that is the one that clinical trials use. I ordered it in combination with Black Cumin - also very powerful proven thing....Take a look when you have time.

4/14 2 Xeliri+Avastin
6/14 2 Xeliri, ADAPT

curious56

Postby curious56 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks, Vilca! I will print your post since I tend to lose things on this forum. :shock:

I have some PSK (mushroom capsules). Unfortunately, I am allergic to mold and it seems that the capsules make my asthma worse. I need to try again -- perhaps during a different time of the day ???

I've read that black pepper needs to be taken with turmeric/curcumin................but, I've never heard of BLACK CUMIN!!

Again, thanks so much!!

(((HUGS)))
6/18 nodes +
Resection sigmoid 12/12
Vegan and supplements
Clear scan 11/13

vilca11

Postby vilca11 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:40 pm

Black cumin seeds is not really cumin, it is known as Nigella oil/Black Cumin seeds oil. So, LEF combined this strong oil with the strongest and most bio viable form of Curcumin that is available only from them - you do not need black pepper with that one.

Anyway, if you are allergic to PSK please do not experiment with it anymore - God forbids your asthma will react, allergies is no joke. Just do genistein and others I listed. I also will add MJ oil later on (supposed to get my hands on it in a while), per rectum in a capsule (it is more bio viable that way, when surpassing stomach acids) - slowly getting it to 1gm at night - that is supposed to be a treatment dose, not for nausea or pain, but curative. And you need the oil with high CBD component, not the high THC that smokers of MJ use to get high.

Also, will try something new on the market later on, depending on my PET results in March. It is a soy peptide, similar to genistein, called Lunasin. Showed 94% reduction of mets in the study on mice in the Univ. of Illinois, that is new and really expensive for the dose we have to use to see results, but do we have a choice? Still less than all these alternative clinics are charging.....

I will keep this board informed on results of my alternative/experimental stuff.... Just have to hang in until cell therapy for CC is available...
4/14 2 Xeliri+Avastin
6/14 2 Xeliri, ADAPT

CRguy

Slightly O/T reply !

Postby CRguy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Just to add in a couple of comments here :

vilca11 wrote:if you are allergic to PSK please do not experiment with it anymore -

I agree that the PSK = mushroom = fungi could be the culprit but wanted to share that the CAPSULES themselves can sometimes be problematic if they are animal based (beef gelatin). Many vets are now looking to using the veggie based capsules for pets with known food allergies ! Not sure about the human practitioners BUTT it may be worth a look if allergies flare up when taking any given medication. We would always think it is the medication, but it may be any of the other active/inactive ingredients or the "vehicle" of delivery !

I will keep this board informed on results of my alternative/experimental stuff.... Just have to hang in until cell therapy for CC is available...

Hoping to hear good things from you Vilca !

curious56 wrote: I have found these things which I am now taking:

............ have you seen the encapsulated "Active Green Tea" ? I use the one from AOR While I love green tea, the caps have a higher concentration of active ingredients and I believe AOR to be a reputable source, as recommended to me by an Integrative Health MD at Inspire Health
turmeric/curcumin
............ AOR also produces a Curcumin Active formula with higher potency/bioavailability in a veggie capsule, which I take primarily for joint / back pain when my martial arts "injuries" act up !

Cancer is an education.

...and sometimes with multiple PhD's in the school of hard knocks earned daily along the way !!!!!!
Many CHEERS and best wishes to you both
on the Journey
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

curious56

Postby curious56 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:31 am

vilca11 wrote:Black cumin seeds is not really cumin, it is known as Nigella oil/Black Cumin seeds oil. So, LEF combined this strong oil with the strongest and most bio viable form of Curcumin that is available only from them - you do not need black pepper with that one.

Anyway, if you are allergic to PSK please do not experiment with it anymore - God forbids your asthma will react, allergies is no joke. Just do genistein and others I listed. I also will add MJ oil later on (supposed to get my hands on it in a while), per rectum in a capsule (it is more bio viable that way, when surpassing stomach acids) - slowly getting it to 1gm at night - that is supposed to be a treatment dose, not for nausea or pain, but curative. And you need the oil with high CBD component, not the high THC that smokers of MJ use to get high.

Also, will try something new on the market later on, depending on my PET results in March. It is a soy peptide, similar to genistein, called Lunasin. Showed 94% reduction of mets in the study on mice in the Univ. of Illinois, that is new and really expensive for the dose we have to use to see results, but do we have a choice? Still less than all these alternative clinics are charging.....

I just get soooo much info from each of your posts, Vilca!! Thanks so much!!!

I will be careful -- asthma isn't something to play around with. I've ONLY gone into anaphylactic shock when stung by wasps -- and that hasn't happened since I started taking a daily antihistamine. I also carry epinephrine in my purse (the old style vial and syringe rather than the epi-pen) -- I gave myself allergy shots for many, many years.

Sadly, I live in a very, shall we say "NON-progressive" Southern state. No medicinal MJ. Meth is produced EVERYWHERE in my county -- the authorities cannot even begin to stop it. Alcoholics abound. But, MJ!! The HORRORS! (You DO see me recoiling in mockery, right??) Glaucoma runs in my family. Other medical conditions prevent me from taking any type of muscle relaxant (which, unfortunately, includes most glaucoma meds). IF I am diagnosed with glaucoma, MJ is one of the FEW things that could save my vision. I guess I might have to move my family. :?

I look forward to reading more from you (and, of course, printing so that I won't forget) :) !!!

(((HUGS)))
6/18 nodes +
Resection sigmoid 12/12
Vegan and supplements
Clear scan 11/13

curious56

Re: Slightly O/T reply !

Postby curious56 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:48 am

CRguy wrote:Just to add in a couple of comments here :

vilca11 wrote:if you are allergic to PSK please do not experiment with it anymore -

I agree that the PSK = mushroom = fungi could be the culprit but wanted to share that the CAPSULES themselves can sometimes be problematic if they are animal based (beef gelatin). Many vets are now looking to using the veggie based capsules for pets with known food allergies ! Not sure about the human practitioners BUTT it may be worth a look if allergies flare up when taking any given medication. We would always think it is the medication, but it may be any of the other active/inactive ingredients or the "vehicle" of delivery !

Hoping to hear good things from you Vilca !

curious56 wrote: I have found these things which I am now taking:

............ have you seen the encapsulated "Active Green Tea" ? I use the one from AOR While I love green tea, the caps have a higher concentration of active ingredients and I believe AOR to be a reputable source, as recommended to me by an Integrative Health MD at Inspire Health
turmeric/curcumin
............ AOR also produces a Curcumin Active formula with higher potency/bioavailability in a veggie capsule, which I take primarily for joint / back pain when my martial arts "injuries" act up !

Cancer is an education.

...and sometimes with multiple PhD's in the school of hard knocks earned daily along the way !!!!!!
Many CHEERS and best wishes to you both
on the Journey
CRguy

Thanks, CRguy!! I never woulda thunk!! :) I checked -- my PSK says "cellulose", so I guess I'm good! I DO have a beef allergy, although not severe/life-threatening. Eating beef used to just give me a headache. Although, for all I know, it could have been the antibiotics given/fed to the animal. Thinking back, when we RAISED cattle, I didn't have this problem. Dad only gave the needed vaccines. We fed-out steers with a ground corn/hay mix. I stopped eating beef about 15 years ago -- a couple of years after my dad died and my mother sold the farm and cattle.

I will check the Active Green Tea capsules. I love drinking green tea, too. I abhor coffee, but am quite addicted to my cuppa tea. Actually my cuppaS tea! :D I often get the comment that I should be FLOATING because I hydrate so much!

I will also check out the Curcumin you recommend. I am having some issues with Tumeric/curcumin. I have been unable to get up to the recommended dosage of 3 grams. Heck, I am usually only able to take 500 mg per day. The stuff just makes my stomach HURT!! I even take it with food!! I try to make up for this by adding the spice to my food.

Yours is the SECOND mention of an "Integrative Health MD" -- the other also by a Canadian. Is this a Northern specialty? Might it have some other name in the States??

Many thanks for the info AND for all you do!!
6/18 nodes +
Resection sigmoid 12/12
Vegan and supplements
Clear scan 11/13

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:37 pm

I found Curcumin Active can cause GIT issues as well, but have not had to go to the max for my arthritis issues ( so far ! )
-- the other also by a Canadian. Is this a Northern specialty?
Yes, when the winters are long and cold and there is no hockey to watch .... we come up with new things to do :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

seriously ....... AOR is Calgary, Alberta based. Check their website they may have marketing into the USA ? or make their products available under different names. AOR is the only label I have seen up here but you can send them an email.

The Integrative Medicine idea founded at Inspire Health in Vancouver is reputed to be the only Integrative Health government funded clinic in N. America. They house MDs, NDs, acupuncturists, nutritionists, yoga teachers, meditation coaches, reearchers.
I have linked to their site and explained a bunch more in this post HERE from my topic Calling ALL Colorectal CANUCKS ! a few years back. The links are all still active.

A US based company I've had veterinary experience with is Thorne Research. They have just made their product available through the Canadian market again so I will check them out.
( Health Canada started a Natural Product Number requirement for all herbals etc., similar to the active ingredient Drug Identification Number for pharmaceuticals. Many foreign companies cannot or will not comply so we stick with what can pass the certification process for now. Thorne was always a quality supplier to the best of my knowledge. )

(( personal disclaimer : I take a very skeptical approach to reviewing alternative products and practitioners I find on the internet SO, I will only list those things which I have personal experience with, for myself or my patients ....... and do not contain anything from PRC. JMO. ))

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

curious56

Postby curious56 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:30 pm

CRguy wrote:I found Curcumin Active can cause GIT issues as well, but have not had to go to the max for my arthritis issues ( so far ! )
-- the other also by a Canadian. Is this a Northern specialty?
Yes, when the winters are long and cold and there is no hockey to watch .... we come up with new things to do :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

seriously ....... AOR is Calgary, Alberta based. Check their website they may have marketing into the USA ? or make their products available under different names. AOR is the only label I have seen up here but you can send them an email.

The Integrative Medicine idea founded at Inspire Health in Vancouver is reputed to be the only Integrative Health government funded clinic in N. America. They house MDs, NDs, acupuncturists, nutritionists, yoga teachers, meditation coaches, reearchers.
I have linked to their site and explained a bunch more in this post HERE from my topic Calling ALL Colorectal CANUCKS ! a few years back. The links are all still active.

A US based company I've had veterinary experience with is Thorne Research. They have just made their product available through the Canadian market again so I will check them out.
( Health Canada started a Natural Product Number requirement for all herbals etc., similar to the active ingredient Drug Identification Number for pharmaceuticals. Many foreign companies cannot or will not comply so we stick with what can pass the certification process for now. Thorne was always a quality supplier to the best of my knowledge. )

(( personal disclaimer : I take a very skeptical approach to reviewing alternative products and practitioners I find on the internet SO, I will only list those things which I have personal experience with, for myself or my patients ....... and do not contain anything from PRC. JMO. ))

Cheers
CRguy

Will print this and check it out.

Seriously? Many/most of my docs in the States would roll their eyes at acupuncturists and yoga teachers being housed with M.D.s. :D I, however, have a VERY open mind. I've used reflexology with considerable success on migraines when meds weren't available.

LOVE Vancouver. Visited on the front leg of a Viarail trip across Canada -- to Toronto. I could LIVE in Vancouver -- IF I won the lottery. :wink:

Thanks MUCH!!
6/18 nodes +
Resection sigmoid 12/12
Vegan and supplements
Clear scan 11/13

CRguy

O/T reply

Postby CRguy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:18 pm

curious56 wrote:LOVE Vancouver. Visited on the front leg of a Viarail trip across Canada -- to Toronto. I could LIVE in Vancouver -- IF I won the lottery. :wink:
Thanks MUCH!!

LOVE Vancouver ?
WELL YEAH !

However we normally ONLY let visitors start here ... THEN we ship you all off to Toronto via ViaRail, or Alaska on a cruise ship ! :shock:
OUR own politics are messed up enough so we think you should ALSO experience Sarah Palin or Rob Ford :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted: ....... :!:

THEN ..... if you wanna come back AND .... IF we really like you, we let you make the return trip and maybe let you STAY ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers & Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

MWLCW

Postby MWLCW » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:36 am

GMOH,

I've done a lot of research & my husband is doing the budwig "flaxseed oil/cottage cheese thing" along with a couple of other easy to follow but proven alternative therapies. He has also just started the xeloda/radiation regimen which will be done for 6 weeks. After this, he will not do any more chemo (little added benefits vs damage does not justify it). He has completely changed his diet and has cut out red meat, sugar, and all the other "bad stuff" from his diet (this seems to be a common theme across all therapies). There is a great group on "yahoo groups" that has tons of budwig users & testimonials. The group name is FlaxSeedOil2.
DH Dx 1/3/14
Surgery 1/15/14
Stage 3C
Xeloda/rad 2/17/14??

annalexandria

Postby annalexandria » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:27 pm

curious56 wrote:
vilca11 wrote:Black cumin seeds is not really cumin, it is known as Nigella oil/Black Cumin seeds oil. So, LEF combined this strong oil with the strongest and most bio viable form of Curcumin that is available only from them - you do not need black pepper with that one.

I just get soooo much info from each of your posts, Vilca!! Thanks so much!!!

I will be careful -- asthma isn't something to play around with. I've ONLY gone into anaphylactic shock when stung by wasps -- and that hasn't happened since I started taking a daily antihistamine. I also carry epinephrine in my purse (the old style vial and syringe rather than the epi-pen) -- I gave myself allergy shots for many, many years.

Sadly, I live in a very, shall we say "NON-progressive" Southern state. No medicinal MJ. Meth is produced EVERYWHERE in my county -- the authorities cannot even begin to stop it. Alcoholics abound. But, MJ!! The HORRORS! (You DO see me recoiling in mockery, right??) Glaucoma runs in my family. Other medical conditions prevent me from taking any type of muscle relaxant (which, unfortunately, includes most glaucoma meds). IF I am diagnosed with glaucoma, MJ is one of the FEW things that could save my vision. I guess I might have to move my family. :?

I look forward to reading more from you (and, of course, printing so that I won't forget) :) !!!

(((HUGS)))

You should move to WA, curious. Here you can not only get your mj for medicinal purposes, you can serve it up to your guests at dinner parties! Plus my HMO (which was developed as a health cooperative many years ago in this state) covers things like acupuncture, massage therapy, and visits to naturopaths. They only do stuff that is evidence-based, so it's not just because we are all a bunch of PNW hippies out here. You'd be welcome to join the fun!
Mom, librarian
Dx age 43, Sept. '09, Stage IV Carcinosarcoma of the colon
5 surgeries, 2009-2011:
colon/sm. bowel res., node removal, peritoneum, hysterectomy
FOLFOX/Avastin Feb.'10-Aug '10
Carbo-Taxol Dec. '10-Feb. 2011
NED since Dec. 2011.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”