Radiation & Xeloda

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dhdoyle68

Radiation & Xeloda

Postby dhdoyle68 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:22 am

I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer on 2/4/14, large mass just above my anal canal. CT scan indicated that the cancer appears to be inside my colon and no lymph nodes affected. CT scan also found a 6 cm spot on my left kidney. The plan, six weeks of radiation on my colon along with oral Xeloda (don't know the dose yet), then removal of the kidney spot and my whole colon. I still have to meet with the radiologist & urologist. They believe the kidney spot is more of a coincidence and not a met. Still have things to iron out but has anyone else had radiation & Xeloda? DougD
2/14 - DX at 46 CRC & Rt kidney
3/14 - Xeloda & Radiation 5.5 wks
6/14 - Total Colectomy 1 lymph positive - stage 3B
8/14 - CT scan indicates 4 liver mets - stage 4
10/14 - Started Folfox / Avastin
1/15 - Portal-vein embolization

LabLover

Re: Radiation & Xeloda

Postby LabLover » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:52 am

I had xeloda and radiation. 5 days on/2 days off for 5.5 weeks. So essentially Monday-Friday chemo and radiation. Nothing on weekends. Then start over again. I had no issues with the xeloda and honestly the radiation didn't start to get uncomfortable until 4 weeks in or so. Even then it was manageable- baths, creams, and Advil. I was able to work the entire time with no issues.

Good luck.

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:23 am

I had 5 injections of 5fu+leucovorin during the first 5 day week of radiation, then another 5 during the fourth week of radiation. That was for a tumor in the rectum 5 cm above the anus, and my chemoradiation was after surgery. It was 8 years ago, and it seems to have worked. I had no real problem with the treatment -- some diarrhea which was controlled by Lomotil.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:13 am

I had 5 weeks of Xeloda and radiation (25 treatments) pre-op and didn't have any real problems, other than late-stage fatigue and some rectal discomfort. But that stuff took about 3 weeks to kick in, and lasted about 2 weeks after my last treatment. Didn't slow me down at all--I worked full-time and worked really hard for a week putting on a trade show the week right after my last treatment.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

GreenMonkey

Postby GreenMonkey » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:35 pm

I had a T3 mass, 5cm from the anal verge. Also have a mass on my kidney that doesn't seem to concern anyone (opinions at Johns Hopkins, Yale, Cornell, Sloan).

From the get go I hated the idea of external radiation - but thats just me. I didn't want it with my breast cancer either and elected to have a double mastectomy to avoid it (no regrets).

I ended up doing internal radiation at Johns Hopkins, with no chemo up front. It wasn't fun but it was a quick 5 days and I got a complete pathologic response which was my first piece of good news.

I'm on xeloda and oxaliplatin now, post surgery and tolerating the xeloda very well. Best of luck to you.
RC - T3NXMX depth of invasion 3mm - diagnosed 5/26/13 age 53
High Dose, Internal Radiation at Johns Hopkins resulted in a PCR
LAR 9/10/13 - 0-26 nodes. CEA 1.9 post surgery
XELOX started 10/21/13(8 rounds)
11/14 NED
greenmonkeytales.blogspot.com

chemo sabe

Postby chemo sabe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:57 pm

Radiation and xeloda are "standard of care" for rectal cancer. They can shrink the tumor prior to the operation without frying too much else - it makes the operation easier. Why are they going to remove your entire colon and not just resection it?
64 year old male
Diagnosed Stage 3 Rectal Cancer - T3N1M0 - Oct 2011
28 radiation treatments with xeloda
Colon resection with ileostomy Feb 2012
8 Rounds of Xelox completed Sept 2012
Ileostomy reversal surgery Oct 2012
Incisional Hernia Repair Nov 2013

Coppercent

Postby Coppercent » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:36 pm

I had 28 days of Xeloda and radiation. It went very smoothly. My co-workers didn't even know I was in treatment. Just listen to your radiation oncologists advice and you will do well. Best of luck.
07/15/11 Stage III Rectal, 08/11 - 09/11 Chemo/rad 11/11 LAR - Whole rectum gone, ostomy, hysterectomy
01/12 Port placed, 01/12 thru 06/12 Folfox, Xelox 10/03/12 Reversal, Clear scan
And then the story continues.
Currently, remission round two!

dhdoyle68

Postby dhdoyle68 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:39 am

Thank-you for all your responses, I'm still nervous as hell. I was told that Xeloda is well tolerated and hopefully that's the case.
Chemo sabe, to answer your question. I also have had Crohn's disease for over 25 years and my colon is pretty much a waste land. I still not sold on removing my whole colon and having an Ileostomy. Thanks again folks.
2/14 - DX at 46 CRC & Rt kidney
3/14 - Xeloda & Radiation 5.5 wks
6/14 - Total Colectomy 1 lymph positive - stage 3B
8/14 - CT scan indicates 4 liver mets - stage 4
10/14 - Started Folfox / Avastin
1/15 - Portal-vein embolization

Patience

Postby Patience » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:10 am

dhdoyle68 wrote:Thank-you for all your responses, I'm still nervous as hell. I was told that Xeloda is well tolerated and hopefully that's the case.
It is well tolerated by some patients. It is not well tolerated by some patients. But be cautious by paying close attention to any "new" symptoms of discomfort that might come up after being on Xeloda, these symptoms might be the early stage of the drug "not being well tolerated". We believe that Xeloda contributed to my husband (the patient) being hospitalized.
"Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you.
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you."

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”