Stage III Would love to hear from others

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:33 pm

I was diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer in March of "06. I had 6/6 nodes positive. I had surgery, and am now doing chemo. I'm on FOLFOX6 with Avastin. I enjoyed reading all the posts from all of you who are doing so well. I'm a pretty positive thinker, myself. I plan to do fabulously. I've had a few hiccups in the treatment, but nothing too bad. I was an oncology nurse back in the '80s, and chemo was such a nightmare back then. BTW, I just turned 52, and was diagnosed during my first screening colonoscopy at 51. I'd had classic IBS symptoms for six years, and actually did have a hemorrhoid, and nothing had changed except that the IBS was actually getting a little BETTER over the last few months before diagnosis. It was a complete surprise!

Since surgery, I've been having LOTS of poops. Nice to know I'm not the only one. They're formed and bulky, so I don't want to stop them up, but I feel like I live in the bathroom.

Nice to hear from you all. This is a nice site. I hope to be back soon.

Eileen

Stage III

Postby Eileen » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:46 am

Hi Magnolia,

Good to see your posting! I have not posted for awhile but wanted to let every one know how helpful this site has been for me.

This Thanksgiving will be the two year anniversary of my surgery for Stage III. I will be having my third colonoscopy soon. Asking for prayers!

Hope all of you are doing well.
Love and Prayers,
Eileen
Stage IIIB

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:00 am

Hi Eileen. Good to hear from you. Glad you're doing well. Two years is a big milestone. I'll be finishing chemo in a a little over two weeks. THAT'S a big deal. It's a good feeling, but a little scary too. Like giving up a security blanket. I still have my Avastin, but sitting around waiting to see if it comes back sounds nerve wracking. I know everyone says to stay busy, but that sounds too simple. How do you really get through it? Until now, I've had the chemo to focus on, and I've done extremely well. Without treatments and labs to follow and constant good reports to keep my "up", I'm afraid I'll start worrying more. Did that happen to you, or did you get back into your regular life and not think about it so much?

Eileen

Stage III

Postby Eileen » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:32 pm

I know exactly what you are saying! I went into a panic mode after I got off of chemo.... I wanted something more.... radiation.... something!!!!
It was like... "okay we taught you to swim so start swimming and we will keep an eye on your here from the shore"!

I keep thinking if I get three years of being "disease free" under my belt, I would be able to relax. I am having back pain now, not unlike the pain I had from the tumor before my diagnosis and surgery. I am having my third colonoscopy on the 9th and I am trying to keep my head together until then... LOL

Sometimes I think being "set free" from chemo was harder to adjust to than hearing my initial diagnosis. I was counting the days for chemo to end but then when it was over I felt adrift, even though I get great follow-up. I see the oncologist every three months, get blood work done every three months, and an annual CT scan & colonoscopy.

Coming to this web site helps a great deal. I see such courageous people who keep fighting and remaining positive. Brave people younger than myself and at stages more advanced than mine, who have been an inspiration.

And I see people who have been disease free many years!

I try to keep reminding myself what my oncologist said to me when I asked him about my prognosis... I rememeber I could hardly ask the question.... He looked at me and said, "No, you will NOT die from colon cancer". He may have told me what I needed to hear at the time & I know there are no "for sure's" but I do know that Stage 3 is curable as is Stage 4. Treatment has really come along way.

Staying busy does help. I can really get down if I do not keep myself busy. Everyone on this site has been so helpful.

You are not alone! I would love to hear more from you. I will let you know how I make out on the 9th. Prayers are welcomed. :wink:
Love and Prayers,

Eileen

Stage IIIB

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:07 pm

Hi Eileen,
It's funny my doctor looked me in the eye and said "I'm sorry but I don't think you can beat it ,there is too many lymph glands involved and the cancer is frightfully agressive". Nearly nine years later I still think about that comment and wonder "why me? What made me survive". I still don't know and now I wonder if it matters. Some things we have to accept and just do the best we can. I can give you some significant insights into survival. Firstly it is not easy,surviving survival is a triumph in itself. To quote an Australian TV special on cancer survival" Contrary to what you would expect ,cancer survivors are amongst the unhappiest people in our community. They tend to become introverted ,not willing to take the risks normally taken by people in daily life and the pursuit of leisure. Their relationships come under severe pressure due to the trauma they they have endured and the perception that rightly or wrongly , nobody really understands what they have been through."

The other main issue is your health. Just because we have survived cancer it does not mean that we are healthy. Since ca I get back pain and like you I suspected that it was the same that I had during ca. My docs said that it was just fatty liver. Then I had a bout of acute pancreatitis , They found that my pancreatic duct was blocked by a small black stone that had popped out of my gallbladder. They cleared the blockage and removed my gallbladder. I have had several bouts of ulcers ,both peptic and duodenal(Note ulcerative conditions also elevate CEA). My docs suspect that a lot of the digestive tract problems are a result of the chemo though they won't formally admit it.

Like I said earlier somethings just are so we have to accept them. The fact that we have shortened exhausts and have been systematically poisened means that there are a lot of things in life that will change . Part of survival for me has been accepting those changes ,accepting that fact that often I won't feel well ,accepting that there are things that Ican no longer do and accepting the fact that I have to get my jollies out of the things that I can do. You all have my best wishes for a happy survival,Ron.

Eileen

Hi Ron!

Postby Eileen » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:21 pm

Hi Ron,

You were one of the first people who responded to my posting on this site after I was first diagnosed and I remember how inspired and hopeful I was after I saw how well you have done. I have read your post to other new comers as well and think how lucky we are to have someone like you who takes the time to share their story.

Thank you again..... I will stop freaking over the back pain!

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Love and Prayers,

Eileen

Stage IIIB

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:30 pm

Eileen,

My wonderful internist told me I would be at my daughter's wedding. My daughter is nine years old. That did me a world of good.

Prayers are flying all over for all of us.

sun_rays17

Re: Stage 3 at 30

Postby sun_rays17 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:27 pm

Covey'sCrazyColon wrote:I was diagnosed with Stage3c colon cancer on April 29, 2005 and had surgery to remove the malignant tumor. The cancer also infected my omentum and 5 lymph nodes. All were removed. I started my first round of chemo this week and did not have any serious side effects.

I was only 29 when diagnosed and since then have turned 30. Great 30th birthday, right? Ha! Fortunately, I've postponed my 30th bday trip with friends until next year. It will be a great 31st!

I'm ready to kick some C-butt!!!

I was only 23 when diagnosed with stage 3 and since then have 26.. it was rough being young but i have managed to deal with it and have 2 wonderful boys that i was blessed with b4 i found out i had this and now it is back in the small colan where it was in the big colan.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:23 pm

Best of luck to you sunrays. Keep up posted.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”