Liver operation succesful but where did mets go??

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ratepo

Liver operation succesful but where did mets go??

Postby Ratepo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:39 pm

As can be read in my signature last year liver operation of my father failed due to multiple mets. On ct-scan only 1 was seen, during operation several very tiny were seen and they thought at that point it had no use to operate due to its rapid spread.

A couple weeks ago we went for a 2nd opinion to the number 1 cancercentre (only cancer is treated) in our country. It's comparable to MD Anderson (but smaller) with excellent reputation and also cooperates with them. The recent ct-scan, mri-scan and pet-ct scan did show only 2 visible mets, so all types of scans were used. During previous operation about 6 were seen. The original hospital didn't want to operate him, however the specialized cancercentre said they would do it and didn't see very much risk involved.

Today my father was operated. Everything went ok, so we are very relieved and thankful. However only the 2 visible ones are resected. Nothing else could be seen on echo (dunno if it's a correct translation) and scans during the operation. They called an interventional radiologist to have another look at it, but no traces of mets were detected.

As said we are very glad with the result. But as I've read almost everything available about it, chemo can make mets disappear however it's rare they are completely eradicated. This makes me a bit less enthusiastic although I really want to be happy about the result. We will speak to the surgeon the following days. Any insights are welcome!
Father dx 10/12 rectal 4a
11/12 3 liver mets resected
01/13 colostomy
07/13 scan: 1 liver met, op. failed: multiple discovered, start xelox
12/13 mets shrink (kras mut.)
01/14 liver op new hospital: 2 mets removed others disappeared
05/14 & 09/14 NED
01/15 CEA rise to 5
05/15 local reccurence - rad + Xeloda
10/15 op. failed unremovable mets lower pelvis

LKGower

Re: Liver operation succesful but where did mets go??

Postby LKGower » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi there :)

I had a liver resection nearly 5 months ago now.

I had 5 mets in total. I had a complete response to chemo prior to surgery which actually made some mets disappear off scan.

I'm from Australia so I don't know if it's different protocols but as far as I know my dr also looked at previous scans and still resected the areas where the mets ' that had disappeared' previously were.

I would talk to your dr next time and ask more questions to why he didn't do this. Like I said protocols could be different and honestly every dr is different themselves.

You are right though.. It is very rare for chemo to kill cancer cells permanently.

All the best!

Lisa
Dx 10/12 @ age 28 Stg. IV CRC spread to both ovaries, bladder and liver
Surgery 11/12 - 8/16 LN positive
9/13 Liver resection & RFA - 1/1 LN positive
10/13 boo its back already! Back to chemo

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:13 pm

I had 2 liver mets when diagnosed in May 2005 - chemo eradicated them by Oct 2005 - clear liver ever since then, so it is possible for chemo to get rid of liver mets.
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

chrissyrice

Postby chrissyrice » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:14 pm

Rare but still possible. So glad to hear these results and the value in seeking a second opinion at a reputable Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Chemo does have a cure rate... but, I think what gets us is that cancer can return, called recurrence, even after long periods of being cancer free.

Why? We sure hope that the research will deliver an answer before the next person has to endure cancer in any form.

Blessings for a speedy recovery for your dad and please keep sharing with us.

Chrissy
DX 10-31-09 Surgery 12-1-09 Sigmoid Colon
Stage IIIb T3,N2,MX; Chemo Feb 2010-Aug 2010; 4 rounds Folfox; 8 rounds 5FU +LV
12/2010 PET/CT Scan, Cancer Free
7/2012 CT Scan NED 2 years
10/2013 NED 3 years
8/2014 NED 4 years
Recurrence 6/2015: iliac lymph node(s)
8/2015 Surgery: 3 cm tumor removed+iliac artery graft
3/2016 CT Scan Stable
6/2016 Stable
9/2016 Stable
12/2016 Stable
3/2017 Stable
Recurrence 6/2017
12/2017 Surgery removed all cancer w/ clean margins
07-27-2018 Cancer-free for 7 months

Ratepo

Postby Ratepo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:55 am

Many thanks for your answers. The problem with the mets is that they haven't showed up at scans at all. Only very smallish during the previous operation, but apparantly they couldn't use it for the current one as it's also a bit different than normal scans. So at that time maybe they were just a tiny millimeter or something like that. They even raised some doubt at the cancercentre they were there at all...Normally it's more the other way around I think where the mets can't be seen on scans anymore but are rediscovered during operation.

They also said that a possible future 4th operation wouldn't be something they liked to do. Although the operation at the liver itself wasn't very risky, pretty much scar tissue and adhesions developed around the liver as a result of putting it out and in the body :shock: Percutaneous RFA could be a very decent option if the cancer returns. One of the major developments last ten years I admire.

Every extra period we get with our father is a blessing. Even now 1,5 year after diagnosis we have to be very pleased with his healthy state, still able to do whatever whenever he wants (singing, running, cycling etc) and he will be out of hospital when the Olympic Games start :D
Father dx 10/12 rectal 4a
11/12 3 liver mets resected
01/13 colostomy
07/13 scan: 1 liver met, op. failed: multiple discovered, start xelox
12/13 mets shrink (kras mut.)
01/14 liver op new hospital: 2 mets removed others disappeared
05/14 & 09/14 NED
01/15 CEA rise to 5
05/15 local reccurence - rad + Xeloda
10/15 op. failed unremovable mets lower pelvis

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”