Any Stage IV's that have been cured?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tcolitti
Facebook Username: Todd Colitti Sr.

Re: Any Stage IV's that have been cured?

Postby tcolitti » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:51 pm

I too have outlived my 5% chance of living 1 year after surgery. I never thought anything other than surviving and beating the odds, I beat the odds just by being stage IV at 35 years old, so why couldn't I beat the odds of surviving as well?

I always believed i could make it and never lost hope of surviving. Keep up the great attitude!

Todd
Never give up HOPE and Always BELIEVE!
DX Age 35 1999
Stage IV CC with mets to liver (4lesions)
Colon & Liver resection (both lobes), removed appendix and gall bladder
5fu/leucovorin
2009 COLONDAR Model

wendysafrica

Postby wendysafrica » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:03 pm

I don't look at stats - ever - if they are in an article, I skip over them. I suppose it's a bit like race horses - block out the peripheral vision and one can see the finish line all the clearer!!
38 yrs Apr 07 Colon resect/ovarian tumor out-CC+ovarian mets
2 wks later-rad hyster;FAP diag
06/07-09/07 XELOX/Avas;01/08 mets-abdo musc
01/08-06/08 XELOX/Avas;08/08-abdo mets surg
08/08-10/08-FOLFIRI/Erbitux
Surg 10/08-abdo mets surg
11/08 UFT/Rescuvolin

tcolitti
Facebook Username: Todd Colitti Sr.

Postby tcolitti » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:09 pm

if we could get more people to understand the ambiguity of statistics maybe we could have more positive and hopeful survivors

Todd
Never give up HOPE and Always BELIEVE!
DX Age 35 1999
Stage IV CC with mets to liver (4lesions)
Colon & Liver resection (both lobes), removed appendix and gall bladder
5fu/leucovorin
2009 COLONDAR Model

wendysafrica

Postby wendysafrica » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:30 pm

Another new article - seems the researchers are saying the same things we are...

Inoperable colorectal liver metastases: A declining entity?
European Journal of Cancer, 09/10/08

Garcea G et al. - In a review to report on available options in the treatment colorectal liver metastases (CLMs) that are considered unresectable by conventional evaluation, it was shown that a nihilistic attitude to the pt with seemingly inoperable liver metastases should be discouraged. Discussion of such pts at multi-disciplinary meetings is essential in order to plan and monitor treatments

Methods
Inclusion criteria were articles published in English-language journals reporting on either retrospective or prospective cohorts of pts undergoing treatment for conventionally inoperable CLM
Main outcome measures were survival, resectability rates, morbidity and mortality following treatment of the pts’ disease

Results
Improved chemotherapy regimens and other innovative treatments have opened up new options for pts and may even render conventionally inoperable disease resectable
Aim of treatment should be down-staging of metastases to achieve resectability, but other treatments such as ablation may be be used (either alone or in conjunction with resection)
38 yrs Apr 07 Colon resect/ovarian tumor out-CC+ovarian mets
2 wks later-rad hyster;FAP diag
06/07-09/07 XELOX/Avas;01/08 mets-abdo musc
01/08-06/08 XELOX/Avas;08/08-abdo mets surg
08/08-10/08-FOLFIRI/Erbitux
Surg 10/08-abdo mets surg
11/08 UFT/Rescuvolin

shmurciakova

Postby shmurciakova » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:36 pm

Hi guys,
Some of you know my story (short version below), I have been NED since the end of October 2004. I do believe in the word "cured" and I have every intention of being cured. I have one more year to go of tests, etc. and I personally cannot wait until the day when my doctor tells me to "have a nice life"! We can be cured. Believe it! Turn "I hope" into "I AM!" and make it your mantra.
-Susan H. :D
diagnosed at 31 in 2002, Stage IV
Sigmoid colectomy - 6 mos 5-FU/Leukovorin
liver resection - 6 rounds XELIRI (xeloda/irinotecan)
lung wedge resection Oct. 2004 - no chemo
NED!!

Marie - Stage IV

Postby Marie - Stage IV » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi --

I'm a stage IV cancer survivor of 5 years. Had a liver resection 11 months after initial cc surgery. Then had HAI pump and full body chemo for 9 months. Also had radiation. It's not easy but I am proof it is possible. Best of luck in your battle and NEVER, NEVER give up. I was fortunate to have a husband who never left my side and kept humor in our lives through the ordeal and that really helped.

I will keep you in my prayers.

vancouver eve

Postby vancouver eve » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:11 am

Great posting . I hope more people come forward and spread their stories. It realy inspires me at stage 3 to hear all the stage 4 survivors out there that are doing well. I read the postings every night to give me the hope I need. Thanks to the person who started this link.

azahar
Facebook Username: shawn.hennessey

Postby azahar » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:22 pm

I'm really enjoying this thread. Going in for a liver resection in a week's time. It was kinda bumming me out that I've been going through all this crap, then some more crap, and then even more ... and then I'd DIE!!! The oncologists keep moving the goalposts, you know?

I'm just happy to think that another ten years or so is maybe possible. But I doubt I'll ever feel 'cured' no matter what.
Last edited by azahar on Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DX stage IV May / 08
colon resection May/08
Oxi & Xeloda July/Aug/08
open & close Sept/08, peritoneal mets
liver resection Nov/08
6 rounds Oxi/Xeloda Apr-July/09
NED? so far so good...
http://azahar.wordpress.com/ & http://twitter.com/azahar

jenhopesprays

Postby jenhopesprays » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:06 pm

I am hoping to join the "c" word list. As in cured.

I have been NED since December '07.
Stage IV: dx 8/07 at 39.. colon & liver resection & rt ovary
17 rounds of folfox.
12/08 ovary tumor removed with HIPEC & folfiri w/Avastin
9/11 liver resection # 2 followed by chemo
NED

Have Hope with Capitol H

Colon2007

Postby Colon2007 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:52 pm

Thank you for this post! It gives us stage 3ers so much hope & faith in God, ourselves & our doctors & modern medicine.

We have to let everyone in this nation know that when there is research & good medicine & technology there are successful recoveries and more people living NED!

We need to become very strong like breast cancer has become. you hardly hear of people dying from breast cancer anymore. We can definitely do the same with colorectal cancer. I want next March to be blue everywhere. I am in Atlanta Georgia and who ever wants to help me can, I want the city to go blue, we need all the funding we can get!

God Bless you all!!!

vancouver eve

Postby vancouver eve » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:01 pm

I watch this list every week and hope to see more people post. I would like to see as many as possible.

Maries tulips

Postby Maries tulips » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:24 pm

I am a 5 year Stage IV survivor. I was originally diagnosed 2/02 and then mets to liver in 1/03. I have been done with chemo since 11/03 and completely clear on all scans. I am cured.

Best of luck to you.

PammySue_51

Postby PammySue_51 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:23 pm

Wow, Maries Tulips, that is fantastic and gives all of us stage IVs hope! Thanks for posting.
Pam

I Peter 5:10-11

Diagnosed 9/06 Stage IV, 19 mo. chemo, now out of chemo options except for possible clinical trials. 9/3/08 First of two Sir-Spheres procedures.

*Faith is the wind that blows the sail of our ship to the desired destination."

cptmac
Facebook Username: Dorothy McGrath

Postby cptmac » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:17 pm

Woo Hoo, thank you Marie, it's good to see Stage IV's who have been NED longer than me. Thanks for posting. :D
cptmac
As long as you're alive, there is hope.
dx 7/04 stage IV
colon resection 8/04
liver resection 9/04 with HAI pump installed
Stage II trial w irinotecan as systemic and FUDR for direct chemo to liver via HAI pump
Cured since 9/04

Maries tulips

Postby Maries tulips » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi --

I was originally diagnosed in Feb., 2002, then got met's to liver in Jan., 2003. I am a Stage IV survivor of almost 6 years and YES, I am cured. I see my oncologist every 4 weeks for blood work and a B-12 shot and he agrees I am cured. It was a long hard battle, but well worth it. I had 28 radiation treatments, a HAI pump with chemo, full body chemo for 9 months and 7 surgeries later I am cured. I enjoy each day and take nothing for granted. This disease has taught me to appreciate all the little things in live that I never took time to look at before. When I was originally diagnosed I had one beautiful granddaughter. I now have two more beautiful granddaughters and a gorgeous grandson so going through the treatment was well worth it. Best of luck to you.

Marie

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”