This is getting boring...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Re: This is getting boring...

Postby Bev G » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:49 am

hummingbird3 wrote:Certainly I must have misunderstood as well .. :?

There are no words which can explain the gratitude I feel for my medical team to have given me the gift of a few more years on this beautiful earth to watch my family grow.

Not one day have I taken for granted. Having spent the last few years in active tx, surgery, recouping, chemo, recouping more surgery more chemo, I certainly have not found "boring".
The small amount of time I have been NED has been a gift. Not always easy to manage, which brings us all here for support I suppose, but still not boring.

I actually skipped over this thread several times as I try very hard to keep every piece of "caused" negativity out of my life. It is damaging and it just makes me plain angry that anyone would want to take away my happy. It has taken me a long time to become happy. We all live in a scary, scary place on this forum, be us scared for ourselves, our family members, friends (both virtual and physical), or loved ones .... that is not boring.

The night sky is not boring, nor the early morning sunrise. The beautiful owl watching and protecting his territory from the tree line is not boring. I did not find the bustling people outside my hospital room window boring. I do not find the music I listen to boring or the mint cocoa I shared with my dear husband whom has followed me in this journey. (instead of finding something less "boring" to do) .. I am blessed, even sick and weak, I am blessed.

I find myself feeling very sorry for anyone who feels bored ... maybe if there is boredom at this point of your journey it is time to give back to those who need lifting up.

Just sayin. :wink:

Have the very best of a New Year ... happy and healthy ..

Lovely. Thank you.
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Kathy

Postby Kathy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi, I took this in a very different way. I take it that boring is good. I remember during the turbulence of active treatment, I craved things that many people took for granted and may have considered a pain in the butt (Ha Ha) or boring. For three years, because of cancer, I couldn't do many Christmas activities that I did not appreciate it. This year, while shopping, a woman became quite agitated and nasty with the store clerk. I told her I appreciated standing in a line because I could. For three years, I couldn't. Her attitude changed. As someone on the board said, We shouldn't complain about sitting in waiting rooms because we are still here. I think this is what Jon implied.
I have spent hours sitting at MSK. Sometimes I saw Dr.K for a minute. I was so annoyed. Then I realized after many experiences, a one minute or very short visit was a good visit. No surprises and things going according to plan. I will not complain about the boring wait to get my short visit. Happy New year to All,and a virtual toast at Midnight to my CC friends.

Kathy
Stage 1- resection 9/ 05
Recurrence-2/ 2008 chemo/radiation 5 FU/oxi
APR surgery 7/ 2008- Found spread to liver-Margins not clean
chemo between surgeries
Liver resection and HAI pump-11/ 08 Chemo 6 months
NED 11/08

NED since 11/2008

SMR

Postby SMR » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:53 pm

I suppose I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. I think my own current situation clouded my judgement of this post. I don't want the poster to feel attacked. I wish for strength for everyone here.
DH DX 10/11 st IV unkown prmry
FFOX 12/11
HIPEC 3/12
FFOX 5/12
7/12 FFIRI
12/12 xeloda
1/13 resection
2/13 FFIRI
4/13 5FU/Avastin
9/13 recurrence, failed surgery
Abdominal fistula
11/13 gemzar, heart attack
12/13 Carbo
2/14 Radiation
3/28/2014 passed

bjl

Postby bjl » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:46 am

For those of us in active treatment, hearing "this is getting to be boring" can be very painful.

I WANT to be bored. I want a boring 5 minute with my oncologist once or twice a year. I want my hair back, my taste buds back, regular blood counts, etc etc.

I guess for OP the whole cancer thing is boring because he's essentially moved on from it.

The frustration I'm seeing in this thread is because so many of us can't. It's not a mental thing, we are forced to endure the physical horros of chemo day in and out for the foreseeable future. So in that way, "this is boring" sea rather flippant.

hummingbird3

Postby hummingbird3 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:27 am

Exactly ... which is why this post is so misunderstood .. as stated. It can be harsh for some to hear. The point a bit vague but the words a bit hurtful.

I am also certain the poster did not mean to offend. :)
9/11 dx CRC, colectomy/ileostomy, Stage IIIC :shock:
11/11 - 6/12 FOLFOX/nulasta
7/12 watching possible cyst on ovary ... 8/12 it grew
10/12 hysterectomy, oophorectomy, complications/blockage, TPN
Stage IVa
12/12 small bowel resection
3/13 -9/13 FOLFIRI/nulasta
NED
10/14 - 2/15 close monitoring
4/15 it grew
PET/biopsy .. local recurrence
8/15 surgery
NED ... No chemo!

stupidcancer

Postby stupidcancer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:38 am

Looking forward to kicking this cancers butt, and life being boring :D
So glad you're cancer free and I pray you stay that way!!!
47 yo f
Resection Sept '13
Stage 3B cc
12X Folfux 10-31-13
Red Oxi at 3 out at 8 severe neuropathy
Brain MRI 2-14-14 for vision,stuttering issues Neurologist said small stroke
3-20-14 Dr stopped chemo due to health issues
03-24-14 Clear colonoscopy!
05-06-14 Clear CT NED!!!!
11-07-14 Clear CT still NED :)
11-11-14 Clear colonoscopy
6-5-15 2 spots on CT, PET and biopsy scheduled
6-11-15 PET scan 3 mets
6-17-15 needle biopsy pos for cancer
6-24-15 met with surgeon ref to St. Louis for HIPEC

davidpwv

Postby davidpwv » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:37 am

I think many are taking it the wrong way. This has been the hardest year of my life yet so wonderful too. Had two sons get married while I was on chemo. First grandson born 1 week before my diagnosis--by the way he has been the light of my life. No matter how bad I felt during the chemo, having him come over made it temporarily fade away. I hope to be bored someday. I envy those who are bored now with their cancer. I don't find it insensitive or offensive, just hope to get there too.

annalexandria

Postby annalexandria » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:42 pm

I think getting to the point where you can be flippant about cancer is pretty awesome, myself.
But I've been flippant since day one, so maybe it's just a matter of "different strokes".
Just as an aside, unless given significant evidence otherwise, I assume good intentions for people posting on forums like this, and don't attack our fellow cancerians because we don't agree with their choice of words.

Congrats on 9 years, Jon! May you have many, many more.
AA
Mom, librarian
Dx age 43, Sept. '09, Stage IV Carcinosarcoma of the colon
5 surgeries, 2009-2011:
colon/sm. bowel res., node removal, peritoneum, hysterectomy
FOLFOX/Avastin Feb.'10-Aug '10
Carbo-Taxol Dec. '10-Feb. 2011
NED since Dec. 2011.

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:51 pm

annalexandria wrote:I think getting to the point where you can be flippant about cancer is pretty awesome, myself.
But I've been flippant since day one, so maybe it's just a matter of "different strokes".
Just as an aside, unless given significant evidence otherwise, I assume good intentions for people posting on forums like this, and don't attack our fellow cancerians because we don't agree with their choice of words.

Congrats on 9 years, Jon! May you have many, many more.
AA

Hi AA, and happy new year to you! Things are often not just as they seem, and many things are clouded by old history around here, including this post. In general, I certainly agree with your post.

Best wishes to you!

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Ashlee H.

Postby Ashlee H. » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:26 pm

Jon - It's nice you were one of the lucky ones. Sorry you find your cancer free life year after year to be a boring part of your life. Like others have said, I'd give anything to be in your shoes. Even though I've been dealing with cancer for almost 5 years now, am on chemo for life, and know it won't be much longer before the cancer takes my life - I try not to find anything about my current life boring. I don't know you, and hope you did not realize how insensitive your title was to those of us who no longer can count on any kind of a future. You message is encouraging to those who are first DX that people do beat this and can live out their lives cancer free. But, for many of us, cancer will be with us until it takes our lives.
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

PainInTheAss

Postby PainInTheAss » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:15 am

I was expecting to read a post about post-surgery recovery.

I had been in bed for about two months following an APR with wound healing complications and I was quite bored.

Then I saw the link to the blog and thought it was some sort of misinformation about colorectal cancer.

I read the post, and found it to be thoughtful and inspiring. Many things, but this does not sound like a person who is bored, but grateful for a disease free life (so the baby is 8 or so now?).

Maybe the post title is an ill attempt at humor, but I don't think there was any intention to offend.

I hope to be "bored" by cancer as well 9 years from now. And I hope to be able to share that with others on this board and to receive congratulations regardless of my post title. Four misused words don't negate the joy this poster has found in being NED for 9 years with a wife and two small children. I am happy for him regardless of my fate.
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

SoConfused

Postby SoConfused » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:12 pm

PainInTheAss wrote:Maybe the post title is an ill attempt at humor, but I don't think there was any intention to offend.

I agree 100% ... Happy New Year, everyone! May 2014 be filled with hope and promise for all.
Stage IV CC

BrianMc7

Postby BrianMc7 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:39 pm

I can't and won't speak for Jon. But I too have used that "this is getting boring..." line in a self-deprecating way, usually describing a run of good luck, but in manners far less important than my current health situation and usually just to close friends and relatives whom know me well enough to understand my meaning. From his tag line I see that he had to carry around an ileo bag, had folfox, and had some complications concerning his ileostomy. I think he has earned a benefit of a doubt.

Brian
54 M
4/30/12 Colon Ressection (0/21 lymph nodes)
6/18/12 Biopsy mets to liver
7/24/12 Started modified FOLFOX/with SIRT (SIRT on 7/26) CEA 59
5/13 Went on Chemo break
7/13 Theraspheres to combat small spot in liver
8/13 CEA 2.9
12/13 CEA 2.0
1/14 CEA 1.9

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:47 pm

I think that we should let Jon talk for himself and that all assumptions are being made from CRGuys initial comment, where he took offence to his interpretation of Jon's title, and not the contents of the blog itself. If you chose to go with CR Guys interpretation it is insensitive, and perhaps a little flippant but if you read the blog there is nothing there in itself to get upset at and I think it is more of a celebration at being alive than anything else.

Read the blog and he states "So tomorrow night is New Years and I may just be celebrating a little more than the next guy. Do you blame me? HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!" which to me show that he thinks being alive and cancer free after 9 years anything but boring and doesn't take it for granted. If you read some of his earlier blogs you can see he has suffered as much as the rest of us and and struggled emotionally with his own issues, and friends issues.

I say why don't we look at the positives that he is contributing rather than allowing a comment to trigger an emotional response that I am sure Jon didn't mean
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

justin case

Postby justin case » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:33 pm

Everyone here, came for a reason. Some before treatment, and some after a dismal prognosis. I have gained from every statement offered on this forum. Compared to weekly infusions, daily radiation, and intimate visits with my toilet, I finally have some time with myself. I'm boring, because I just don't look at life the same way. When in a conversation, as I don't like to mention cancer, all I can offer is I went to work, and came home. If I enjoy a cup of coffee, can I leave the house and go shopping with my wife? If I eat breakfast, will I be stuck at home for a while, and can I even enjoy a decent nights sleep without, planning what I eat beforehand, no. I'm bored with the whole day to day ordeal. I'm doing well, but things will never be the same, and I am damned bored, because I can't do the things I was accustomed to.
Life is what you determine it to be, and in the focus in the new year, I believe we all have a right to our own reflections. I envy someone who has come to grips with their own destiny, I wish I had the guts to face reality in such a way, and be happy with how the cards fell.
Warm regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”