Oxiplatin as a stand alone chemo

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
unlucky13

Oxiplatin as a stand alone chemo

Postby unlucky13 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the group. Diagnosed with rectal cancer in May 2013. Started chemo 5-FU and radiation in June 2013. Found I had the DPD deficiency after the 5-FU put me in the hospital in July. Continued the radiation and had surgery in Sept. I now have a permanent colostomy. I have a question. Hoping someone has an answer. Since, I have the DPD deficiency my Oncologist is wanting to do post surgery chemo with Oxiplatin alone. He cannot tell me if the Oxiplatin will be helpful or not without combining the 5-FU. I know I'm not the first person that has had this problem. If anyone out there has had this problem what did your oncologist do? Please let me know. Thank You Robert

hkbsmile

Re: Oxiplatin as a stand alone chemo

Postby hkbsmile » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:24 am

Hi Robert. I just finished 8 treatments of oxiplatin alone post surgery for a different reason. I have Lynch syndrome and 5FU is not effective on patients with Lynch syndrome. My oncologist had no concerns about using oxiplatin alone. I recently got the good news of NED. I hope this helps & best of luck to you.
Necrotizing faciitis & Dx rectal cancer 2-2013/38 yo
Surgery to close leg wound from NF 3-2013
6 weeks chemo/radiation April-May 2013
APR surgery, permanent colostomy 7-2013
Stage lIb T2N0M0, Lynch syndrome PMS2
Chemo starts 8/26/13

unlucky13

Postby unlucky13 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I spelled oxiplatin wrong it should have been oxaliplatin.

barbara jayne
Facebook Username: Barbara Allenhttps://www.facebook.com/barbara.alle

Postby barbara jayne » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi Robert,
As you can see from my signature below 5fu ( Xeloda ) was discontinued because
of DPD deficiency, (seems I probably shouldn't have been given it all as I also have Lynch Syndrome but hadn't been diagnosed at that time,) so my oncologist continued to give me Oxaliplatin alone, he said he wanted to give me the benefit of at least some chemo.
I don't know if it was the right thing to I do or not I just trusted him, I'm just very happy :D to be still NED almost 6 years later,
day after tomorrow actually 3rd Jan.
Best wishes to you,

Barbara x
DX. Colon Cancer (Cecum) stage 3
Right hemicolectomy Jan '08
2/22 L.nodes positive
Oxi and Xeloda
Xeloda discontinued
due to DPD enzyme deficiency
Lynch Syndrome
13 years NED
Facebook user name,
Barbara Allen https://www.facebook.com/barbara.allen.927

unlucky13

Postby unlucky13 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Thank You Barbara. I am trying to get an appointment with another oncologist for a second opinion. I had a follow up with my surgeon yesterday. He did not have anything good to say about Oxaliplatin. He said unless the oncologist could give a good reason for using it he would avoid it because of the bad side effects (mainly the peripheral neuropathy that it can cause).

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”