When cancer returns, is chemo just as effective?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
LKGower

When cancer returns, is chemo just as effective?

Postby LKGower » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 am

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences, basically my cancer has returned in my liver and pelvic region. It showed up on my last ct scan which was 2 months after my liver resection. Initially before surgery I did 6 rounds of xeloda and avastin and I had a complete response.

This time I am on the same with the addition of oxaliplatin. After the 2nd cycle the pain I was having started fading to the point I wasnt having any symptoms. But after the 3rd cycle the pain is back, not as bad but it's there. It's stressing me out that chemo is working :/

Is there a chance that chemo might not be effective this time round even though I had such a good response first time and also taking a new drug?

I don't see my oncologist till end of week, it's just doing my head in! I don't get scanned till end of January. I don't think I can wait that long! Don't even know if my cea is dropping. Seems like every time I ask something, my oncologist says he'd have to check my notes. So frustrating!

Lisa
Dx 10/12 @ age 28 Stg. IV CRC spread to both ovaries, bladder and liver
Surgery 11/12 - 8/16 LN positive
9/13 Liver resection & RFA - 1/1 LN positive
10/13 boo its back already! Back to chemo

livingbyfaith

Re: When cancer returns, is chemo just as effective?

Postby livingbyfaith » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:44 pm

It worked for my husband after cancer spread, they have so many options now. Oxi worked for him however they had to reduce the dose. If one stops working they try another. My husband actually died after two hernia surgeries, not really from the cancer. Just keep buying time, we are all praying for a cure.
Hubby 72 cc
Resctn colon 07 stage 3/11 15 cm liver met CEA 3000+
CPT 11, 12 xelox kras wild gall blddr rem 7-12 & abltn
liver stents bi-mo gilbert lng mets , cpt-11 3-13, 2 hernia surgeries2013 & liver abltn went to heaven 10-24-13

stu

Postby stu » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Hello there,
How was Christmas? Hope you have been managing ok on chemo.
I can only share what my mother experienced but she did get the same outcome second time round. However she did have some pain management issues that required addressing. As chemo progressed towards the end of her two week cycle her colon became very sensitive and she experienced considerable pain . She also had tumour encapsulation and as it shrank she was in sever pain. We did seek advise on this and it helped get ahead of it and it all became quite manageable. Her Cea levels started heading up after the third cycle , not good for the nerves, however her scans were wonderful.
Your doing great but oxa is a big hitter.
Take care and hoping for good news in the New Year!!
Stu x
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

LKGower

Postby LKGower » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:14 pm

Thank you for replying,

I did have a lovely Xmas and new year thank you. Hope you both did as well :)

Let's hope 2014 is a good year!

Rising cea would have def been nerve racking! But glad to hear her scans were good.

Oxali is a killer!! I hate the cold sensitivity side effect with a passion. I don't know how anyone could handle doing it in winter :/

Well I see my oncologist today, no scans to go off but hopefully he can tell me if my cea is dropping, as it's always been a good indicator for me. Just need to know if chemo is working to out my mind at ease a bit.

Lisa
Dx 10/12 @ age 28 Stg. IV CRC spread to both ovaries, bladder and liver
Surgery 11/12 - 8/16 LN positive
9/13 Liver resection & RFA - 1/1 LN positive
10/13 boo its back already! Back to chemo

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”