Post Hernia Repair, I Need Some Advice Please

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jean60

Post Hernia Repair, I Need Some Advice Please

Postby jean60 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:57 pm

Hello, I am a bit concerned and would appreciate some feedback. I had an incisional hernia repair Tuesday and was discharged from the hospital yesterday. My sugeon wasn't kidding..it is painful but I am managing.
I got bowel sounds back pretty quickly in the hospital and was passing gas nicely (there's an oxymoron for you) on Wednesday, and controlling pain well enough with oral meds Thursday (yesterday) so home I came.
So here I am the next evening and I have basically stopped passing gas and have yet to poop. I've gotten the stethoscope out and listened to the tummy and I do hear bowel sounds so that part is good. The pain I have is just that..the pain I have but it doesn't seem to have changed in any significant way.
I am just a bit concerned about the lack of a bowel movement yet and wonder if I should be yet or if there are any 'common sense' measures someone might suggest at this point. I am walking regularly and I am also thinking I should probably try to cut down on the pain meds. Not having a bowel movement is not something I have ever had to be concerned about..new territory for me so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jean
Dx Rectal Cncr 5/12
Stage III
5 weeks Chemo (5FU) & Radiation completed
LAR with temporary ileostomy 9/12, complete response
Began FOLFOX 10/12. oxil reduced after tx 1, eliminated after tx 2. Now 5FU.
Finished 1/13
Ileostomy reversal 5/13

esk2poo

Re: Post Hernia Repair, I Need Some Advice Please

Postby esk2poo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:29 am

Jean.
Narcotics can be extremely binding. Not sure what you are on. I too have always had bad diahreea post surgery and last year when I had my hernia repair, I was concerned about taking the pain meds and pushing hard for a bowel movement. Not wanting to go through all the pain again just after having the repair. Thank God I just was bumped up to just a somewhat normal loose stool without having to push too hard. I would call the surgeon to let their office know and gett feedback and ask about trying some miralax to help things along.
Good luck,
Allen
Dx 8/23/11 stage 3b crc
3 of 11 LN's
resection 9/15/11
folfox start 10/31/11 12 sessions
De-ported 6/2012
clear CT 7/2012
Clear colonoscopy 9/2012

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:38 am

I had pain meds from a back surgery that bound me up for 5 days so I would say you are still ok at the moment.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

jean60

Postby jean60 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:17 am

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I am guessing I am okay for the moment also and am undecided re the wisdom of waiting until Monday to call the surgeon's office. Allen, I had thought of Miralax too, wondering if that might be a good thing to try. Once again this weekend it seems I am looking at winter weather that will keep me off the country roads I live on again. I am taking Norco and while I have cut it back, I just have too much pain to not take it.

Jean
Dx Rectal Cncr 5/12
Stage III
Finished 1/13
Ileostomy reversal 5/13

skypup

Postby skypup » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:19 am

I stopped those wonderful things, too, after my first surgery. The surgeon told me to go on a liquid diet until things cleared up; I did, and they did. You might start taking some stool softeners if you are still on pain meds...
Jean, I hope all else is going well for you!

jean60

Postby jean60 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:32 am

Skypup wrote:I stopped those wonderful things, too, after my first surgery. The surgeon told me to go on a liquid diet until things cleared up; I did, and they did. You might start taking some stool softeners if you are still on pain meds...
Jean, I hope all else is going well for you!

Dear Skypup! Thank you for chiming in here. I am still on the pain meds, just trying to cut down on them as much as I can stand it. Maybe I will just go to a liquid diet and see if things get moving. I don't have any stool softener in the house (never needed such a product before!)
I've got some really swollen areas on my tummy but I have eight small incisions on this tummy!

Jean
Dx Rectal Cncr 5/12
Stage III
Finished 1/13
Ileostomy reversal 5/13

esk2poo

Postby esk2poo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:24 am

Jen,
I wouldn't wait until Monday. They should have an on call doctor that should be able to assist. There should be no reason for you to wait or suffer 2 more days. I would call first thing int he morning. As far as the mirilax, you don't need to do a full colonoscopy/2 gallon mixture. I would start out with 2 capfuls and wait a little bit. Like I said. After going through all of the pain and surgery, my biggest fear was trying to push too hard to have a BM. The pain meds actually helped to form me a little but I did not have any issues.

I know all surgeons are different but my situation was a little quicker. I have seen others post about all of the pain and being in the hospital for a couple of days post op. I was rolled into surgery at 7:30 AM that day. Had the hernia repair and my gall bladder removed. I was released by 11:30 that same morning with my meds and the binder belt. Not sure if it was the percocets or not but thank God, I really didn't have that much pain and I am kind of like a little baby when it comes to pain. Hope you are slowly getting better and can cut back on the narcos and continue to get on with your life.
Allen
Dx 8/23/11 stage 3b crc
3 of 11 LN's
resection 9/15/11
folfox start 10/31/11 12 sessions
De-ported 6/2012
clear CT 7/2012
Clear colonoscopy 9/2012

jean60

Postby jean60 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:49 am

esk2poo wrote:Jen,
I wouldn't wait until Monday. They should have an on call doctor that should be able to assist. There should be no reason for you to wait or suffer 2 more days. I would call first thing int he morning. As far as the mirilax, you don't need to do a full colonoscopy/2 gallon mixture. I would start out with 2 capfuls and wait a little bit. Like I said. After going through all of the pain and surgery, my biggest fear was trying to push too hard to have a BM. The pain meds actually helped to form me a little but I did not have any issues.

I know all surgeons are different but my situation was a little quicker. I have seen others post about all of the pain and being in the hospital for a couple of days post op. I was rolled into surgery at 7:30 AM that day. Had the hernia repair and my gall bladder removed. I was released by 11:30 that same morning with my meds and the binder belt. Not sure if it was the percocets or not but thank God, I really didn't have that much pain and I am kind of like a little baby when it comes to pain. Hope you are slowly getting better and can cut back on the narcos and continue to get on with your life.
Allen

Allen, I didn't wait and was able to talk to my surgeon right away. First thing he said was not to get out on bad roads :D Anyway, he felt I would probably be okay to just cut back my food intake and/or just go with liquids and everything would come out in the end (no, he didn't make the bad joke, that's mine). I did tell him I had some Miralax so we agreed I may try that today if nothing changes.
You are right; every situation is different. I expected to stay up to three nights and I came home after two. I did not have percocet but I do have the binder. I have been able to cut way back on the med I do have (Narco) already so I am going to wait a bit and see how it goes today. Thanks for your input!

Jean
Dx Rectal Cncr 5/12
Stage III
Finished 1/13
Ileostomy reversal 5/13

jean60

Postby jean60 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:10 am

I don't know what the solution to this is going to be but so far I've tried one dose of Miralax and then yesterday two doses and so far no relief. Called the surgeon's office this am and am waiting to hear back.
On the plus side, it has been relatively easy to back off the narcotic pain meds and just handle it with ibuprofen. Surgery was last Tuesday..I cannot believe I haven't pooped in that long!

Jean
Dx Rectal Cncr 5/12
Stage III
Finished 1/13
Ileostomy reversal 5/13

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”