Chemo while bowel obstruction?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AnneAnne

Chemo while bowel obstruction?

Postby AnneAnne » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:56 am

Is this even a good idea? My Husband has been for 6 days with an obstruction that isnt settling ir resolving too quickly. The doc wants to do chemo and thinks he's strong enough een though he hasnt eaten/been drinking for 6 days. Thoughts and experience please? I was a little surprised to hear this, this morning.
Thanks

AnneAnne

Re: Chemo while bowel obstruction?

Postby AnneAnne » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:52 pm

I am really hoping someone has some thoughts here to share.......fingers crossed

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:33 am

Absolutely no clue, but I hope others will answer.
Things I'd want the doc to answer first:
any problem delaying the chemo for a day or two, just to see if anything happens?
If DH has chemo while obstructed and, absolutely worst case, then needs surgical intervention, is the treatment (i.e., Avastin) going to make surgery more dangerous?
I read back through some of your earlier posts. Is this the same blockage your husband has been dealing with all this time? Chemo is bad enough without having to be in pain. I would keep pushing the doctor and let him know how bad the pain is.
Also, in an earlier thread, you mentioned DH was on some heavy-duty pain meds. Opiates can cause constipation, so when this situation is resolved, the onc needs to be involved with some other time of Rx to manage pain that won't cause so much constipation that the bowel is blocked.
Hope you get some better answers from other people.
Best wishes,
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:22 am

I had several weeks break and a dose reduction each time - and I was strong and very fit.

pukalania

Postby pukalania » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:29 am

Hi Anne,
My husband had bowel obstruction when he started chemo last year. Colon wasn't fully obstructed but very close to it, to the point where the doctors were thinking of inserting a stent. Thankfully they didn't , once he started chemo and also chemo-radiation the tumor shrank...the chemo may bring diarrhea but that may make it easier on the obstruction :)... managing the pain was a bit more challenging since his stomach felt more sensitive...but from the time we discovered there was an obstruction to the point of surgery for removal, there was a period of 7 months, where he was on chemo and chemo-radiation. He also ate pretty much everything except trying to have not too much leafy veggies.
Hope this helps and good luck!
wife 34 dx DH stage IV
Feb10 col res
May10 12 x FOLFOX
Aug12 tumor in sig colon,mets in liver
Aug12 Xeliri Ava
Oct12 xel celebrx rad
Feb13 liver/colon res
Sep13 ill reversal, fistula,
Folfiri SBRT,ADAPT ava
Apr 15 continued growth liver and lungs

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”