27 - sessile serrated polyp

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mymaria

Re: 27 - sessile serrated polyp

Postby mymaria » Fri May 09, 2014 11:56 am

Your GI doctor didn't think you should be tested for Lynch? You are only 27 and have had the flat polyps, which tend to be indicative of Lynch, plus your father was diagnosed at a relatively young age. Is there any other colon, uterine or gastric cancers on that side of the family? Please meet with a genetic counselor if you meet the Amsterdam criteria. It is so much better to know if you have it so you can start getting your screenings. I know it's scary to think about, but as someone who has known for almost five years she has Lynch, I'd much rather know than not know! I have half my colon removed four and a year years ago for a right-sided cancer. My last colonoscopy in December the doctor for a flat polyp that was precancerous, but because I know I have Lynch, I go every year and it was taken out before it could become dangerous. Do a little digging into your family tree and if you meet the criteria-get tested.
Endometrial cancer stage 1B grade 3, July '09 age 43
34 negative l.n.
Radiation Aug. and Sept., '09
Colon cancer T3N0M0, grade 3, Dec. '09
54 negative l.n.
Modified Folfox 6 regime started Jan. 12, '10
Stopped after 3 rounds Feb. 9, '10
Lynch Syndrome

Jac835

Postby Jac835 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi Maria,

he didn't mention anything about lynch syndrome when I had the colonoscopy, he just said he really wanted to see what happened in 12 months. If they find more polyps in my next scan I will definitely ask, if they don't say anything first. He said he would be a lot more concerned if they do find another polyp again 12 months later, but he also said that some people just get a lot of polyps (all of mine were hyperplastic except for that sessile serrated one) and that can just be the same as how some people are prone to moles etc. I do have a family history obviously of bowel cancer on my dad's side and skin cancer on my mum's side. My grandfather had prostate cancer but not until he was 75 so not sure if that counts. My mum has had a number of pre-cancerous growths removed but we haven't been nearly as sun smart as we should have been and my mum's side are Austrian/Italian so very fair skinned.

I am increasingly worried though that I may be prone to developing cancers. I recently had an ultrasound of my uterus and ovaries and they found that my ovaries have become multi-follicular. I don't have any of the symptoms for polycystic ovarian syndrome and again multi-follicular ovaries aren't always something you have to worry about but it's now something else I have to get checked all the time. In addition, I also had a skin cancer check and one of my moles that I've had all my life was found to have become dysplastic so that will be getting removed.

I can't help but wonder that there might be something wrong with my DNA that's getting increasingly worse as I get older because lots of 'little' things are starting to change. Other than these things, I'm a fit, thin 27 year old female, I don't remember the last time I had a cold and I've never really been sick and my cuts and wounds heal faster than anyone else I know (my bf jokes that I'm Wolverine lol) so I'm really hoping that maybe I'm just someone who will have moles and extra growths but no cancers. Don't know if that's possible but I will keep everyone posted if you're interested. And at the moment, I don't actually have that many moles either, maybe 5-10 on my whole body.

I read somewhere that moles can be associated with long telomeres (bits on the end of chromosomes that stop your DNA from getting damaged when they replicate and prevent you from aging as quickly - and I guess I don't really look old) so I was hoping maybe my polyps and extra follicles could maybe all be associated with that?

-Sophie-

Postby -Sophie- » Fri May 16, 2014 7:32 am

I am lynch positive and I had 3 sessile serrated popyls removed at my first colonoscopy post surgery (16 months post first colonoscopy that was my diagnosis).

I am discovering that there are a few cases in my family history of lynch cancers but I didn't know they were there until really talking to my dad. Getting tested for lynch syndrome is very important. I would ask for the test and get annual colonoscopies for the time being.

Sessile serrated popyls are nasty because it's harder to get clear margins so they can reappear quickly.

The best thing about finding it a the stage you have is that now you can be extra vigilant and if anything happens it will be caught early.
29 yo f w daughters 5 & 2
Dx nov 2012- 3c (T4N2M0)
Chemo/rad Dec 2012 - Jan 2013
16 march 2013 LAR + rad hyst, temp ileostomy
Patho no viable cancer found, 0/10 lymph nodes
April - June 2013 Chemo 5fu, 4 rounds
July 31st 2013 reversal and port removal

Amarti0234

Postby Amarti0234 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:15 pm

I’m glad I found this thread. I need help please. I’m a 25 YO female who had a colonoscopy last year due to my father having CRC. They found a Traditional Serrated Adenoma 5mm. They removed it but I have to have annual coloscopies from here on out. I can’t find much information on these types of polyps via Dr.Google. Can anyone help me out?
Ashleigh

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Amarti0234 wrote:I’m glad I found this thread. I need help please. I’m a 25 YO female who had a colonoscopy last year due to my father having CRC. They found a Traditional Serrated Adenoma 5mm. They removed it but I have to have annual coloscopies from here on out. I can’t find much information on these types of polyps via Dr.Google. Can anyone help me out?
Ashleigh

Here is a link to an article that might help:
https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/colon-pathology/colon-polyps-sessile-or-traditional-serrated-adenomas.html?ssDomainNum=5c38e88&print=t

Have you been tested for Lynch Syndrome? HNPCC? What other tests did they do on your removed polyp? Do you have a copy of your colonoscopy report or the biopsy report?

Amarti0234

Postby Amarti0234 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:37 am

I do have a letter, it won’t let me attach an image here...

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”