PD-1 Clinical Trial

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sandrichelle

PD-1 Clinical Trial

Postby sandrichelle » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Hello All,

It's been a while since I have posted but I do come on at least a couple times a week and pray everyday for all of us! I have just recently had my tumor tested with the following results back:

"This patient's adenocarcinoma is diffusely, weakly to moderately positive for PD-1. Greater than 75% of the neoplastic glands are highlighted."

Any information on what this means would be greatly appreciated. Does it mean that the PD-1 trials would be a better shot for me cause I am positive? Is PDL-1 and PD-1 pretty much the same thing?

I am heading down to the city tomorrow for a PET scan and will need to know which direction I want to head in so again, anything you can add would be wonderful!!

Thanks All,
Michelle
Dx Stage IV CC 02/12-56.1 CEA
Resection/Bye Bye Uterus 02/12
Folfox 03/12-08/12
05/01/12 3 TX CEA-6.5
07/23/12 10 TX CEA-5.0
09/18/12 PET shows 3 suspicious spots CEA -15.5
09/25/12 CEA- 23.8
10/23/12 CEA-51.8 1st of 6 FOLOFIRI
http://www.yeswecansir.com

O Stoma Mia

Re: PD-1 Clinical Trial

Postby O Stoma Mia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:54 pm

sandrichelle wrote:...Any information on what this means would be greatly appreciated. Does it mean that the PD-1 trials would be a better shot for me cause I am positive? Is PDL-1 and PD-1 pretty much the same thing?

I am heading down to the city tomorrow for a PET scan and will need to know which direction I want to head in so again, anything you can add would be wonderful!!...Thanks All, Michelle

"...The pathway includes two proteins called programmed death-1 (PD-1), expressed on the surface of immune cells, and programmed death ligand-1 (PD-L1), expressed on cancer cells. When PD-1 and PD-L1 join together, they form a biochemical “shield” protecting tumor cells from being destroyed by the immune system...(Quoted from link below)

Cancer Therapy That Boosts Immune System Ready For Wider Testing

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Michelle,
I'm on the Genentech PD-L1 trial,
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01633970 but I still don't have a good understanding of it. I know the earlier BMS drug was a PD-1 drug, so they are attacking the same problem from different angles. There is also a Merck trial that I think is starting after the first of the year. I haven't read about it, but I think that one is a PD-L1.
When I first started on the trial in August 2012, they tested stored tissue for the protein, but a positive test was not a requirement for participation in the study. I have not responded in the sense that the lung nodules have not gone away, but on the other hand, I have been off chemo 19 months, and, so far, nothing new has popped up. (knock on wood, big time).
Patients enrolling on the Genentech trial now, do have to test positive for the protein, either with stored tissue samples, or with a fresh biopsy. Assuming that Genentech accepted someone else's testing, I would think you would qualify for the trial. According to the protocol, you do have to have failed all available standard therapies, and you have to be off chemo for at least 3 weeks. If you have any interest at all, I would advice contacting the study location nearest you right away, as there is likely a waiting list.
Best wishes,
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

andy123

Postby andy123 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:54 am

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the update.

Wondering if you had your tumors tested as part of a clinical trial elogibility requirement or was it tested by your doctor at your institute?

Best

Andy

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”