Have not been diagnosed yet...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrendaH
Facebook Username: Brenda Hovan ( i think , anyway...not sure)

Have not been diagnosed yet...

Postby BrendaH » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:54 am

Hello All:

I have not been positively diagnosed yet, but I would just like some insight into some things that I have been unable to find in my reading on line. Can anyone tell me please, what the pain feels like? Burning, stabbing, throbbing sharp, etc? Where is the pain located? And is it worse at certain times, does food affect it, is it constant or intermittent, etc? Please don't tell me to wait til I am diagnosed, as tests aren't scheduled for several weeks. Many things have already been ruled out. And what were other symptoms other than pain?

thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

chemo sabe

Re: Have not been diagnosed yet...

Postby chemo sabe » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:52 am

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer during a colonoscopy. I had no pain but my insides were not blocked either. My only symptom was blood in stool. Not much of that either.
64 year old male
Diagnosed Stage 3 Rectal Cancer - T3N1M0 - Oct 2011
28 radiation treatments with xeloda
Colon resection with ileostomy Feb 2012
8 Rounds of Xelox completed Sept 2012
Ileostomy reversal surgery Oct 2012
Incisional Hernia Repair Nov 2013

BrendaH

Postby BrendaH » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:01 am

Chemo:
Thanks for replying. So when you were diagnosed, it was already stage 3? How are you doing currently?

ab123

Postby ab123 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:58 am

Pain is not a significant indicator of CRC. Most of us had none prior to diagnosis. If you have blood in your stool get a colonoscopy. If you have a lot of pain it's probably something else, but you should still get a doctor to check you out. Could be anal fissures or gas or who knows. Obsessive worrying can also be a symptom of a treatable anxiety disorder. Go see a doctor and get an answer. No matter what's causing your pain you'll feel a lot better knowing what it is.
Aug 2012: RC DX Stage IIIC, T3N2M0 by MRI - 38M
Fall 2012: Chemorad
Nov 2012: LAR - Path report: 0/13 LNs, tumor reduced to "microscopic foci"
Jan-Apr 2013: 8 rounds FOLFOX
May 2013: Ileostomy takedown, port removal
July 2013 (and since): NED!

iceis
Facebook Username: robin bond

Postby iceis » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:03 pm

I noticed you said you didn't want people to tell you to wait until you have been diagnosed, however no one on this board would be able to tell you, symptoms or not, that you have cancer. I did have pain, however it wasn't from the Tumor in my Colon, it was because it had grown into my abdomen and attached itself to nerves. I know it's scary when you're having symptoms that you aren't sure about but try to relax as IF it is cancer, you will have a bunch of worrying to do then, as opposed to stressing yourself over what may be simply nothing. Many things have the same symptoms as you have described, including ibs. Try not to stress yourself into a panic before you have heard anything. Take it one day at a time and remember that stress can have a major physical side effect in itself.
Stage 2c T4N0M0 33 neg LN
May15 2010 at age 27
HNPCC +
06/10 Total Colectomy
6months 5-Fu dropped oxi after 6 rounds
NED
Ct small pulmonary nodules
New 4mm focal liver lesion.and.low volume retroperitoneal lymph nodes - awaiting ultrasound correlation

BrendaH

Postby BrendaH » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi All:
Thanks for your replies. Basically ( and I'll keep it brief as possible). I have had abdominal pain off and on for ages. Since July of this year, I have been in E.R.s and numerous doctors. I have had pelvic/abdominal CT scans, pelvic ultrasounds, tons and tons of blood work, and most recently a MRCP. Have colonoscopy scheduled but couldn't get an appt.til Dec. 27. I have been on I don't know how many antibiotics ( some quite $$ ) cI am taking pro-biotics. 2 days ago though I actually had a stool with formed pieces. Before that it was literally nothing but water. Losing weight so now I an drinking Ensure. The only med I am on now is Bentyl for pain but the pain isn't cramping or gas , it is HORRIFIC burning in abdomen and back. In addition to that, I am just very weak. Food doesn't seem to affect it, though the gastro doc had me limit sodas, sweets and dairy/lactose. None of this affected it one way or another, but am still trying to stick to that diet. Years ago, I was told that I had maybe a colitis or IBS. Was on donnital for a while but haven't been for years cuz I was perfectly fine. My last colonoscopy in 2009 showed a medium hiatal hernia, and a few diverticula and some internal hemorrhoids. I do not see blood in or on stool, but quite often I do wipe a few small streaks of blood after a bowel movement , which I have attributed to probably the internal hemorrhoids. That was about it. Oh I also have scleroderma, an auto immune disease. I was Dx about 15 years ago, but have been fine with no symptoms ever since diagnosis. This burning pain now is constant ( worse when I first get up) but is bad all day and the bentyl does little if anything. When I started having somewhat formed stools 2 days ago, I noticed they are small, thin and flat. So I am figuring colorectal cancer with tumors so big that there is a partial blockage. To add to my issues, I am totally alone with no family and 1 person that I guess you could call a friend. So going through all of this basically alone makes it even worse. All I know for sure is, I pray every day that I even make it til the day of my colonoscopy. I am sorry this is so long.

BrendaH

Postby BrendaH » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Chemo Sabe : I received your PM but since I just signed up on this site today, I am unable to post a reply. I would very much like to do so. Just wanted to make you aware that I am not ignoring you PM, I am just unable to post. :(

LabLover

Postby LabLover » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:11 pm

I had no pain prior to my stage 3 recital cancer diagnosis. Only symptoms I had were change in bowel movements (more frequent but small amounts- never quite felt empty and blood in stool. I only had the symptoms for 6 weeks prior to dx. I'm lucky I had symptoms some people don't have any... I'm only 37 so there wouldn't have been a routine colonoscopy for a long time.

Patience

Postby Patience » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:05 pm

BrendaH wrote: Please don't tell me to wait til I am diagnosed, as tests aren't scheduled for several weeks. Many things have already been ruled out. And what were other symptoms other than pain?
Sorry, but waiting is what needs to be done. I know it is frustrating and scary, but there is no way we can give you info that will prove that you do or don't have cancer. By the way, pain can be absent as a symptom of colon cancer, which is why having routine colonoscopies are so important, as well as doing what you are doing by following up on troublesome symptoms. Good luck.
"Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you.
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you."

BrendaH

Postby BrendaH » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Well from my detailed description, does it sound like it could be cancer? I am not going to hold you to any comment made. I just curious as to if any of you all had any of my symptoms.

mstults

Postby mstults » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:25 pm

I think the fast majority of people have little or no pain, including me.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

Patience

Postby Patience » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:59 am

Nobody here can diagnosis you (either with cancer or free of cancer) based upon your symptoms. But we are here for you should you get a diagnosis of cancer. Meanwhile, it is a waiting game. About the best you can do now is to try to not overly stress, and to be proactive in making sure your appointments move along on a reasonably quick schedule.
"Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you.
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you."

WorriedWife

Postby WorriedWife » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:32 am

Dear Brenda,

I'm so sorry you are having to wait so long for the colonoscopy. I can imagine the frantic feeling you are having and I feel so bad for you.

To answer your question - my hubby (the patient) had some pain off and on and some constipation but no bleeding whatsoever. As you can see everyone's symptoms are varied. You really can't go by them much at all because they are all so different. I've read where someone has no symptoms at all and gets a routine colonoscopy and comes out with stage 4 cc. I've read where some have a lot of pain and comes out with ibs or colitis. You just won't know until the testing.

I'm hoping your situation is something totally different. Try and keep busy and keep your mind occupied doing something else. I know it's easier said than done, but just try. Read some good books, watch some movies, do some shopping, things of that nature.

I'm glad you wrote and keep us posted. My prayers are with you Brenda...
Hubby
CC Stg. 2b
Dx 6/12
surgery & reconnect
opted out Folfox
Pet Scan Aug NED
abscess/fistula for over a year
ongoing Dec 2013
Praying for each and every one of you

BrendaH

Postby BrendaH » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:50 am

To Worried:
Thanks for the encouraging words. I am doing a lot of reading when the pain allows. It is hard to get your mind off of it though, but you are right... stress certainly doesn't help.

BrendaH

Postby BrendaH » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:57 am

To Patience:
Thank you also for your nice reply. I know of course, that no one here can diagnose me. I guess I just wanted to see if anyone that was diagnosed, had anything similar to what I am experiencing. I realize that even if everyone here had the exact same symptoms, that that still would not mean that I had cancer as well. I just wish I could get a definitive answer ( from doctors) but right now its just a waiting game until tests are performed.
Thanks again for your encouraging words.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”