Pain in leg after radiation, worried about a clot

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
StupidAssCancer
Facebook Username: Alys.Geertsen

Pain in leg after radiation, worried about a clot

Postby StupidAssCancer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:56 pm

I just finished my 28 sessions of radiation 7 days ago. 5 days ago both legs and feet started to hurt I assumed from the inflamation. Now today the back of my right leg is killing. Behind my knee to be exact. Has anyone heard radiation can cause blood clots? Any experience out there with this?
Thank you for your info!
xo,
Alys
Stage 3c Colorectal Cancer
Surgery March 2013 Jpouch Temp Iliostomy
May 2013Chemo Infusions 5-FU Oxi Lev-Allergic
Radiation w/Xeloda Chemo-Allergic
Oct 2013 Reversal of Ostomy Nov 2013 Perm Ileostomy
Feb 2016 Ostomy collapsed moved to other side
Jun 2016 colon removed permanent ileostomy

O Stoma Mia

Re: Pain in leg after radiation, worried about a clot

Postby O Stoma Mia » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:30 am

StupidAssCancer wrote:I just finished my 28 sessions of radiation 7 days ago. 5 days ago both legs and feet started to hurt I assumed from the inflamation. Now today the back of my right leg is killing. Behind my knee to be exact. Has anyone heard radiation can cause blood clots? Any experience out there with this? Thank you for your info! xo, Alys

Alys - I don't have any experience with leg pain or blood clots, but I did have a full series of radiation treatments. There are different causes of pain in cancer. See article below for the details. It could be something like 'Referred Pain' originating from the area that was under radiation but referred, instead, to the leg. Anyway, as it says in the article below, if you are having severe pain then you should contact the doctor right away so that they can begin determining the actual cause of the pain.

Types and causes of cancer pain
By the way, do you know what kind of radiation it was? Was it done by a machine that has the ability to focus the beams of radiation in a very specific spot (ike the IMRT machines can do) or was it a more general, undifferentiated radiation to the entire abdominal/pelvic area?

janderson

Postby janderson » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:06 pm

I never head radiation by I did have clots on 3 occassions. If you have any swelling and or redness it is probobly a clot. If that's the case go to the ER right away. They can be very serious and lead to pulminary embolisms. The second of the three put me in the hospital for 8 days. Colon cancer by itself can cause clots but so can several of the chemos and avastin cause clots.
DX 10-05 stage IV
liver resection 12-05 Folfox1-05 to 7-06
Liver resection 8-07 Folfiri 9-07 to 3-08
Liver resection 12-11
Recurrence 2/7/2014, liver, chestwall mets, 16 rounds chemo
7/3/14, y90 radioembolization, steady shrinkage
12/8/14, cryoablation to liver and chest wall
6/1 to 6/26 SBRT radio surgery
7/2 more cryo ablation to right lung
7/16 lung infection drain tube installed
9/4 chest wall resection to remove 2 ribs

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:39 pm

When I was on Xeloda and radiation, towards the end of the regimen, my legs were killing me. I remember telling my husband that I felt like I was being poisoned. I've since had leg pain after a while on Xeloda so I've chalked it up to that. I can't think of anything with the radiation that would cause a clot to form but there are more knowledgeable folks on this board about this kind of thing than I am.

God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:00 am

I have a clot that goes down my leg, have had it for 6 yrs now. Because it goes down my leg, guess there is not a worry about it going to my head or heart. For me now, there is no pain now, but when it first happened (happened during a surgery) it felt like a burn pain similar to running up and down stairs as hard and as fast that your can. Simply walking 10 ft was painful. Today, because I power walk, I don't notice it anymore.

If you suspect a clot, it may be a good idea to get it checked out. An ultra sound should be able to see it if that is the problem.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”