recent diagnosis stage 4 and depressed

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
scottg

recent diagnosis stage 4 and depressed

Postby scottg » Wed May 31, 2006 8:39 am

I was diagnosed 1 month ago (age 42)with stage 4 colon cancer,with 18 out of 40 lymph nodes cancerous and small "seed like" spots in my pelvis ,abdomin and 2 on my liver.
I see the odds are not so good but i am am doing ok and have family and good friends and treating with chemo at sloan kettering in new york.One of the only things that makes me feel better are people who survived and who are surviving long term with my specific condition.
Can anyone provide me with some good outcomes with similar cases to mine???

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

Stage IV

Postby Edward » Wed May 31, 2006 9:36 am

Hi Scott,

I am a Stage IIa survivor, but there are several here that were Stage IV and are cancer free right now. You are in good hands at Sloan, but always ask questions.

I know it is easy for me to say don't worry about statistics, but they only tell of what happened to a certain point of time. It is still very hard to predict the future with new medicines and treatments and they don't measure a person's heart and will to survive.
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

Brad

Postby Brad » Wed May 31, 2006 12:27 pm

Hi Scottg!
My name is Brad and I am a Stage IV CC survivor. I have been without any signs of cancer for almost 6 months. When I was diagnosed I had a tumor the size of a softball, but only had 1 lymph node cancerous. i also had some peritoneal seeding. My cancer has signet ring cell features which is pretty rare. My treatment was surgery, and 6 months of chemo, FOLFIRI puls Avastin. During my treatment I was able to work every other week and was fairly active. I am now back to work full time and life is almost back to normal. I'm still having some lingering fatigue, but it is manageable. Stage IV cancer is not the end of the world. It is just a bigger challenge. The biggest challenge is to stay positive. Don't just put on a happy face for the people around you. Continue to live life. If you can't do the things you used to do, find things that you enjoy that you can do. Feel free to contact me if you need anything or just want to talk about it.
Brad

Liz

I'm Stage IV too.

Postby Liz » Wed May 31, 2006 1:59 pm

Hi Scott,
I, too, found out April 27 that I have Stage IV metastatic colon cancer. It was originally diagnosed as early stage colon cancer of the small intestine. I had surgery to remove the cancer and awoke to find out that it had gone through the wall, spread to the liver and that 13 of the 18 lymph nodes taken were cancerous as well. Since then, I've had a CT/PET scans that showed a cancerous lymph node near the renal vein and another in the chest. The bad part was that both sides of my liver are involved with spots as well. I am only 48 years old and up to this point, was in the best shape of my life. It was a huge shock and I went through all the emotions. What did I do wrong, why me, what about my family, why now, why, why why? I've come to realize that there is a reason I am facing this, and I will do everything possible to get well. I agree with Brad that you have to remain positive and do the things that make you happy. Do not look at the odds; you have to get into the mindset that you will live. I started my chemo last week and it wasn't pleasant, but that tells me that it is working. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Let's agree to keep each other updated on our progress.

Moe Tel

Me too

Postby Moe Tel » Wed May 31, 2006 7:30 pm

Hi Scott,

Hang in there you are in great hands. Stay positive as everyone is saying. I have had colon cancer for 4 years now stage IV when diagnoised (Age 35). I am in CT. I went to Sloan for a consult and had an awesome experience they were very positive. I have received great treatment here. I still have tumor in my lungs and liver. I have been on all the Chemo mentioned in this site and more. I am in a clinical trail at Yale New Haven hospital and tolerating it well. I have two young boys 4 & 6 and a very supportive family in Canada. I also do a lot of alternative therapies along with my daily chemos. I just want you to know that I felt the same way when I was first diagnoised and I am still here. I can still take care of my family & household I quit work to be with them more. Lucky for me my husband is supporting us. It is a gift the years I have been given. If you have any questions ask...
peace and power of prayer Maureen

beth

depressed

Postby beth » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:51 pm

Hi Scott!

I have stage IV colon cancer. I have been in the fight since December of 2003. I have 6 small tumors in my lungs and very small retension cysts on my liver. I have gone through chemo twice and it is very hard. This disease is like a roller coster. Some days I am really down and some days its ok. I find reading books helps.

Remarkable Recovery, Love medicine and miracles by Bernie Segal. I go to a cancer support group. They are a wonderful group of people and we are all going through the same thing. (Medicine for depression) don't count that out it helps. This is really hard it is a race for your life. Depression is normal and so are all the other emotions you go through. I think you just have to keep moving, praying, talking, loving etc..... I love water color painting. When I create I feel better or when I do something for someone else. Scott it is reallly hard and I don't think any one has the answer. Just be true to yourself.......Good luck and you are in my prayers.

Beth

Becca

Postby Becca » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:56 am

Hey Scott! I have just recently finished treatment for my stage IV CC. I had a large tumor on my colon that was removed & my colon was resected. I had 1/18 lymph nodes cancerous & 3 liesons on my liver. After my resection surgery I went thru 6 months of chemo (a combo of Folfox & Folfiri with Avastin). The chemo reduced the the spots on my liver signifigantly & eliminated 1 completley!! After chemo I was supposed to have liver resection surgery & ended up having radio frequency ablation instead. I am happy to report that after my last CT scan (about 6 weeks ago) I am currently cancer free!!!! I'm not gonna lie to you... it's been TOUGH!! My daughter was only 9 months old when I received my diagnosis last July & I was paralized with fear. Don't let the fear rule your life. You've got one heck of a battle to fight. Rally your support system around you like a fortress. My motto from the start has been simple...LOSING IS NOT AN OPTION!!! There are lots of stage IV survivors out there so please don't lose hope. I know what you are facing & please know that you & your family will be in my thoughts & prayers. HANG IN THERE!! You may not see it right now, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Trust me... I'm wearing shades right now!!
~Becca

mtsko

Postby mtsko » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:16 pm

Hi Scott!
I, too am a Stage IV CC survivor. was diagnosed at age 37 in mar '04. Been through3 or4 chemo regimins and a month of radiation. still having chemo tx's weekly here in So. CAL. Scott, what I found to help tremendously is my sense of humor. You have to laugh! you have to live!
A game I play is to find humor in every sucky situation. My husband is my biggest support and he makes me laugh so hard, I leak! :lol: I can honestly say, the laughter brought me though some pretty hard times. sometimes its harder than others to find the humorous, but it's there.
I found this "Attitude" saying on the web. I read it often. it has helped not only me, but others w/ their everyday life. I hope you get as much out of it as I do.

ATTITUDE
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than the past, then education, then money, than circumstances, than failures and successes, than what other people think say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home.
The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past.. we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you. we are in charge of our attitudes."
...anonymous
find the humor!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”