Driving while on Folfox

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
wetzelfamily

Driving while on Folfox

Postby wetzelfamily » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:08 pm

First of all, let me say that I can not thank everyone involved in this forum enough. My father was diagnosed with Stage III Colon Cancer in August and is scheduled to begin his 12 cycles of FOLFOX soon, after a successful partial resection a couple of weeks ago. The information collected and the support on this site are amazing.

My biggest question is about working and side effects. As I have read, the drug effects everyone differently. However, my dad is a long haul truck driver and I am very concerned about him being away from home for such a long period of time between treatments, not to mention the fatigue and sickness that can accompany the treatments. He is very concerned about making money (all of his kids are grown) and is somewhat firm on his stance that he will work between treatments.

I'm not looking for a false sense of security here--I'd like to know whether those that have taken the treatment before, or are taking the treatment now, would advise long commutes and operating large vehicles at ANY time during the 24 weeks of FOLFOX treatment.

Thank you all, and God Bless.

janklo
Facebook Username: JanetKlostermann

Re: Driving while on Folfox

Postby janklo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:36 pm

My daughter was 25 when diagnosed and when she did her Folfox. The first few times she went to work at a desk job, no problem. But as the treatment wore on, the effects are cumulative. By the middle, she had to stay home from work and by the last few, someone had to stay with her to make sure she ate and stayed hydrated. I think your dad should not plan to work the during treatment days, but perhaps during the 'off week'. It's my understanding that the treatment makes you feel like you have the flu - tired, achy, nausea. Not a good combo for a truck driver.

The other issue is that many times chemo knocks down your white blood cells and treatment must be delayed until they come back up, so it's hard to plan ahead and say you'll get treatments on a specific date. There can be delays, it's common.
Mom to 28 yo daughter
colectomy 2/22/10, stage 3C, signet cell
7/2011 peritoneal mets
HIPEC September 2012, difficult recovery
Hospice 10/31/2012, Died 11/16/2012

rodey

Postby rodey » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:25 pm

When I had both FOLOFIX and FOLFIRI I couldn't drive that day because of the benedryl. I also couldn't drive at night for the first few nights after infusion. I had some serious problems seeing as soon as dusk came along.
-Rose-
38 years old
Initial Stage IIIb diagnosis in Dec 2010 @ 34 y.o.
Now Stage IV with lung mets.
Miss December 2014
http://www.colonclub.com/the-2014-colondar/december-2014/

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:10 pm

I did FOLFOX, and yes for me, chemo brain was a problem at times. Once, I needed the join checkbook (I was hooked up to 5FU at the time), and I needed the check book, hubby told me he just put it back in my purse. I checked, it was not there, checked with hubby again. Yes he just put it back in my purse and it should be on top. I checked again, and it was not there! After 3rd conversation, hubby checked my purse and yep, it was there on the top. I know for a fact, I checked that purse twice and the check book was not there, at least in my brain. Was this me or chemo brain. Hubby decided at that moment, I would not be behind the wheel while on chemo, I didn't argue, I'm still convinced that check book was NOT in my purse.

See how your Dad does early on, but long distance driving may not be a good idea as he get multiple FOLFOX treatments.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:24 pm

I can drive with no problems though sometimes I may not feel like it. I drive myself to and from the treatments - the benedryl makes me dizzy for like 15 minutes and then it's gone for me. The biggest issue is the fatigue and I take many naps. If he is on a deadline and needs to push himself then I'm not so sure long haul driving will be such a good idea.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

so-scared

Postby so-scared » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:45 am

My husband was a salesman and drove all over. He would leave at 4 or 5 am and not return until 9 pm. He did this the whole time that he was on FOLFOX. He did get a bit of neuropathy but nothing major and he never felt sick. Chemo hits everyone differently. Some do very well and others do not. You will not know how your dad handles this until he starts the treatment. At that time you will have a better feel for all of this.

Welcome and hang in there!
DH 51 yo
dx 5/16/11 stg 4 RC
mets both lobes liver & lung
6/11 chem/rad
FOLFOX 9-12/11
12/11 TME/liver resect/rfa (15 tumors)
more Folfox w/Avastin
5/12 innumerable mets liver
Folfox/Avas FAIL
9/12 FOLFIRI/Erb FAIL
HAI pump 12/12
Had to leave 5/23/14

mstults

Postby mstults » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:51 am

I would make sure he discusses it with his doctor. I would be worried about blood clots and I testinal problems like diarrhea. And off the top of my head I'd highly suggest he not drive a big rig.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”