Best Prep for Colonoscopy - Pepopik worked for a wimpy me!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Baxter

Best Prep for Colonoscopy - Pepopik worked for a wimpy me!

Postby Baxter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:40 am

I'd like to share my experience with my recent (and first) colonoscopy because I was really worried about it, and after doing a lot of research, and what turned out to be excessive preparation, things went amazingly smoothly!

First I will share a little background. I am very sensitive to discomfort, I get bad stomach cramps easily (eating a rich or fatty meal in a restaurant usually ends up with an unpleasant experience in the bathroom 30 to 60 minutes later). Next, I am a person who hardly drinks anything. In a typical day I barely drink a quart of any liquid and drinking a pint of water quickly, let alone a half gallon of anything disgusting, is nearly impossible to me. Finally, my father was a really brave guy who seldom complained about anything, and if a doctor would tell him that he should have surgery, he'd say, "Okay can we do it right now?" Anyway, this brave man complained bitterly about the difficulty of going through the prep before the few colonoscopies that he had during his lifetime. Based on all of the above, I was really worried that I would not be able to make it through the prep, and also worried about having a "garden hose" shoved way up inside me.

Since both of my parents had some polyps that needed to be removed, I felt like I should really have a colonoscopy to make sure that things were okay. I also felt that I should get it done now because I will be losing my insurance as of the end of this year due to Obamacare, but for the moment, the procedure would be free.

I did a lot of research online regarding different types of products and alternatives. I wondered about the possibility of doing an extended liquid diet, or getting some kind of "high colonic" as an alternative to drinking the prep solution. My doctor explained that neither of these would get the colon clean enough, especially the arm of the colon that is closest to the small intestine. Then, Eureka! I found posts and read about a newly available prep called Prepopik that was just approved in the United States in 2013. For some reason, it has been in use in Europe and Canada for over 10 years, but only now has it become approved for use in the USA.

Based on some things that I read in these forums, I decided to do *two* days of clear liquid diet, rather than the one day that is recommended. While I did enjoy eating green Jell-O and drinking chicken broth and apple juice, I will admit that I had some real cravings for something with a crunch. Oh, I forgot... you are allowed to eat gummy bears! (Well, not the red ones, but the green yellow and clear ones are okay if they are purely sugar and gelatin.) So that actually helped.

The prep with Prepopik was amazingly easy to do. You dissolve a little package of power in 5 ounces of cold water, and drink it. It tastes like something in between Kool-Aid and Gatorade… In my opinion easier to drink than Gatorade. It was really easy to drink. Then, you have two hours to drink 5 cups of your favorite clear liquids. Normally, I don't drink that much of anything, but because of the (well masked) salt content of the prep, I was actually quite thirsty, as I might be after eating a corned beef sandwich. So, it was easy to drink a couple of glasses of apple juice, a cup of chicken broth, and a couple of glasses of Arizona Green tea with ginseng and honey in way under two hours.

I was expecting some kind of bad cramps and explosive diarrhea and a long stay in the bathroom. I preemptively put some diaper rash cream around my butt and anus to protect them from any irritation (this was a good idea), and set up a laptop with lots of movies in the bathroom, expecting to be stuck in there for a long time. However, this all turned out to be overkill. I had no symptoms at all for well over an hour after drinking everything. Then there was some gurgling sounds (but felt nothing), and, after about two hours, with no particular feeling of urgency, I felt like I could poop. I sat down on the toilet, and calmly ejected some liquidy poop followed by some yellow “water”. And that was it – no pain, no trouble, no trauma, no nothing. I stayed up for a while longer to make sure there would be no more pooping, then went to bed and had a normal night sleep.

I think I made a good decision to go with a clear liquid diet for two days instead of just one day. There probably would have been a lot more solids flying out of my butt if I had been eating solid foods right up to the day before the prep.

In the morning, I got up and repeated the prep procedure (this time you only have to drink 3 cups of clear liquid after the half cup of their magic Prepopik drink) about five hours before having to go in for the procedure, so it would have plenty of time to work and finish. Again, it worked flawlessly – no pain, no cramps, and just a calm ejection of some yellowish liquid.

I was worried about the colonoscopy procedure itself, as well. I pictured some kind of garden hose being shoved up my delicate butt. When I discussed this with the doctor and asked him if there were any choices for something thinner, he mentioned the pediatric colonoscope. I asked him why not use that? He said that he uses it on adults routinely, and the only issue is that it's a bit more floppy, so that sometimes it is more difficult to guide, but we agreed that he would use it on me. He also agreed that he would do the procedure himself and not let any students give it a try on me. I recommend making sure that a really experienced doctor does it himself on you... let the interns practice on someone else...

I was hoping to stay awake for the procedure because I was curious to see how things went and watch on the TV to see what they see, so we agreed on very light sedation, with more painkiller and less sedative. Unfortunately, I got very sleepy, so I drifted out for most of the procedure, I don't remember much of it. What I can say is that there was zero pain during the procedure and zero pain afterwards. When I got dressed and walked out of the office, I did not feel anally raped, or abused in any way. In fact, I didn't feel the discomfort that I might feel after a big bowel movement, or after a prostate exam. I didn't feel any discomfort at all.

The bottom line, so to speak, is that this whole procedure was really a non-event. The prep was super easy, with no discomfort, no muss and no fuss, and the procedure was quick and painless as well. So, I can't give a stronger recommendation for Prepopik over Movi-Prep or Suprep or any of the others I've read about.... those sound quite terrible, and the Prepopik was a breeze! I think it made all the difference. I had a relaxed evening and none of the horrors that I've heard about and feared... which I probably would have experienced with the other preps.

My doctor was not familiar with PrepoPik beforehand, but he was okay with prescribing it and, afterwards, told me that the prep results were very good and he could see everything he needed to see. If I understand correctly, because this product is new in the USA, the retail price is about $200, or whatever you have to pay as a co-pay for a "brand-name" prescription. Therefore, I'll make a couple of other suggestions. One is that you can ask your doctor to get a free sample of the Prepopik kit from his drug rep for you. I did that, and it worked – I got it for free. If that doesn't work, and you don't have insurance to get the price down low enough for your liking, you can get the exact same thing from one of the Canadian mail order pharmacies you can find online for about $25-$30. In Canada, the same stuff is sold under the name of Pico-Salax (or Picolax in the U.K.).

I normally wouldn't take the time to write all of this or sign up for a website forum, but I thought it was worthwhile to share my experience, which was unexpectedly fine, even for a sensitive discomfort-hater like me... and to share the techniques that I researched, found, and employed that made it go so smoothly. Now you don't have to worry... :D Presumably I will have to have another colonoscopy in 5 or 10 years, and next time I won't put it off or be worried because it was soooo easy with this prep.

PS: No, I don't work for Prepopik! and I think it's crazy that they can charge so much for two little packs of 3 kinds of salt mixed together with a nice flavoring... glad I didn't have to pay for it, especially not retail. But this stuff was great, and potentially a lifesaver.

One final suggestion… If you are still really anxious, even after hearing how well this went for me, there is nothing wrong with taking a little Xanax or Valium just before the prep or going in for the procedure. And, by this, I mean very little, and of course you should clear it with your doctor.

I hope this helps someone else. If I had read something like this, it would've saved me weeks of unnecessary worry and a lot of research. Oh... and my results... everything was totally fine: no polyps, no abnormalities - which is really nice to know!

Hapa

Re: Best Prep for Colonoscopy - Pepopik worked for a wimpy m

Postby Hapa » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:27 am

I just had a colonoscopy. I used Prepopik as well. I was pleasantly surprised that it was only 5 ounces , 2 applications, that didnt taste bad. This was the first colon prep I didnt vomit back up. After my colonoscopy I asked the nurse if I was really cleaned out?

Good news-normal colon tissue-see you in 7 years(although I think I should redo in 5 years).
DH Stage 3 RC

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:46 pm

The prep for this is the main reason everyone fails to schedule or follow through on their colonoscopies at age 50 (Should be earlier in my opinion). My wife skipped hers at age 50, and since she was so fit and athletic and otherwise had few if any risk factors, the doctor agreed. Well fast forward to just before her 53rd birthday! Diagnosed stage IVb with Mets to Liver Spleen and lungs. Had she done the scope at 50 there is a good chance they might have caught it in time.....

Anyway - She used another prep that the GI doctors and surgeons group at her hospital has been using for a while now that originates from the Netherlands. Its uses an over the counter laxative (Dulcolax I believe) and Gatoraid. A variation of it was used for her colon resection where they used a more concentrated higher protean and electrolyte form of Gatorade (powered form), and added an antibiotic (the only thing from the pharmacy). She basically had a very similar experience to what you described. In fact after describing it to her best friend she switched to my wife's GI doctor, because the prep was easier and a lot less of a PITA :shock: :oops: If all the GI's would standardize on these simpler less extreme colonoscopy preps, and word got out that it isn't as bad as all that perhaps more people would not suddenly find themselves at stage iV!!!!!

Get the word out. Screening is very important for colon cancer detection. By the time symptoms show up such as blood in the stool, it is usually already advanced!

OK off my soap box. Regards,

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:06 pm

I get so jealous when I hear about people that get prescribed this prep. I don't understand why everyone doesn't go with it.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:07 pm

The answer is simple. Most doctors don't learn much after they finish their training and will keep using the things that they know. Plus they probably get donuts and tickets to expensive shows from their long-term drug reps that keep pushing the old preps.

We need to be our own advocates. Unfortunately, we can not trust that doctors are super smart, or have up-to-date information, or even care about us. Some care, some are smart, a few are smart and care a lot. We have to do our own research, educate ourselves, ask questions, get 2nd opinions when unsure, and tell our doctors what we need or want. They will often help or at least comply if you are proactive.

In this case, the GI doctor I was sent to for the colonoscopy seemed like a nice guy and competent, but he had no idea to recommend or prescribe Prepopik because he never used it before and never researched online to find out about it. But, since I did the work, now he knows and perhaps some future patients will benefit.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:12 am

Baxter,
I am glad the prep worked well for you. I have used it exclusively since 2007.

I find your fatuous comments about the medical profession egregiously ill informed.

Your energies may well be better directed to finding out why in the US, something which costs $25 in Canada, is being billed through your health care system for $200 ...... ?????????? ... for about a dollar worth of chemicals and $5 in packaging / marketing costs.

Once US doctors get a comfort zone with using the prep, if it is reasonably accessible, it will likely displace many of the other more noxious medicaments.

YMMV.
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

WorriedWife

Postby WorriedWife » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:05 am

Baxter,

First of all, I'm SO glad that you are all clear with great results!! Thank you SO much for writing such a clear and informative post that was really easy to understand and had all the info!!
Can I ask which state you are in?

Thank you :)
Hubby
CC Stg. 2b
Dx 6/12
surgery & reconnect
opted out Folfox
Pet Scan Aug NED
abscess/fistula for over a year
ongoing Dec 2013
Praying for each and every one of you

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:57 am

Sure. I'm in Los Angeles, CA.

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:22 pm

CRguy,

I don't really understand your comment about the medical profession. As a graduate of Harvard Medical School who came of age with hundreds of pre-meds, then medical students, then interns, and who knows so many practicing doctors, I'm speaking from personal experience. Doctors are not gods, but many of us act that way. We're taught to wear a tie and how to gain patient respect and professional separation. Many of my colleagues are nothing more than glorified auto mechanics or seamstresses. At the hospital cafeteria, one seldom hears a discussion of a patient with a tricky problem or a new technique... you are much more likely to hear a discussion of real estate, new cars, boats, etc. I purposely wrote what I wrote as a layman because I wanted the information to be approachable. The common man and woman needs to know how important it is to educate themselves as much as possible and to be their own advocate and the advocate for their loved ones.

As for the reason why $5-10 of salts and packaging is sold in the USA for $200, we don't have to do any research on that. The reason is simple, and quite well known. It costs millions of dollars to get FDA approval...hundreds of million for a new drug. When patent protection is available, or when a company has the "Name Brand" product, it does its best to make as much as it can to recoup the expenses and turn a profit... they are spreading those millions of dollars of cost into the thousands of people who need the product. Once generics come out, then there is some competition, but even then, companies need expensive liability insurance, and to maintain certain quality standards. When you buy a 5 pound bag of sugar for $2.98 from Walmart you are not getting the same guarantees as you would if you buy about 2 pounds (1kg) of USP grade sucrose from Sigma Aldrich for $102.50... but I'd prefer option 2 for an IV flowing into my veins. Yes, those were today's accurate prices... I looked 'em up for ya. :)

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:30 am

I just finished packet number two of Prepopik -- ready for my fifth colonoscopy tomorrow morning. My gastroenterologist recommended it. Not bad. Definitely tastes better than the other liquids I've used for previous colonoscopies. Also better than the Osmoprep pills because less liquid is involved, so maybe I can get a full night's sleep. It's now 2 1/2 hours since I finished taking it, and I think I'm all purged out now.

Postscript: But the effects of Prepopik go on longer. I didn't get much sleep, and 16 hours after I finished taking the stuff, I was still getting occasional little spasms pushing out a bit of liquid. That's disconcerting (but not painful).
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

kims
Facebook Username: ksegers

Postby kims » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:04 am

I also used PicoSalax (Prepopik) for my last colonoscopy and had basically the same experience. My husband also used it when he had his at age 50. My doctor usually writes a prescription for one of the "lytely" products and I promptly toss the prescription on my way out of the office. I know that if I have to drink a gallon of foul tasting stuff, I will vomit it right back up.
47 YOA
11/08 stage 2 breast cancer
completed chemo 6/09
diagnosed 1/11 stage 3B CC
4 rounds FOLFOX followed by 6 rounds Xeloda
completed 9/11
Pet scan 10/11 - NED
CT Scan 1/12, 4/12; 11/12 - NED
7/13 - recurrence - 1cm lesion left lung; VATS 7/13

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 pm

On the internet and on the packaging they list some unpleasant possible side effects. It's interesting that none of us who have posted here have had any, and it has been such a smooth experience. I'm glad to hear that my one (good) experience was not a fluke. I presume and hope that people will post stories about any problems they've had with Prepopik as well.... so far it's all good and it sounds like patients should start educating their doctors.

Annie_777
Facebook Username: yingbby

Postby Annie_777 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:22 pm

Baxter, thank you so much for your detailed post! I've always used MoviPrep before with my previous GI. My new GI rx'd Prepopik and a baby-dose valium for my colonoscopy next week. I will follow your advice and try two days of clear liquid diet. Hope I will get good experience and good results too. I will report back. Thanks again! Your post has been really helpful.
37y mom of 7y & 12y boys
12/12/12 Dx Stage 1 (T2N0M0) rectal cancer
12/19/12 LAR w/TME (0/18 LN+)
CEA 12/12 @0.6(pre-op), 1/13-1/14 @0.5, 5/14 @2.4
CT 1/14 - 1.7cm interval presacral nodule; 5/14 nodule stable
Currently - NED & IVF/FET

cmrl

Postby cmrl » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:58 am

Just wondering if this is safe for the kidneys? I donated one so I'm trying to be protective of the one I have, since all the chemo couldn't have been very good. I'm due for my 1 year follow
up colonoscopy in July, and a bit anxious since last time they didn't get past the tumor.
Resection of splenic flexure 7/24/13
T3N2BM0, Stage 3c,12/29 nodes
Folfox x12 9/13-3/14
CT scan 4/14, enlarged spleen, otherwise clear
CT 4/15, spleen WNL.
6/17 3 cm benign polyp at ileocecal valve, awaiting removal

Baxter

Re: Best Prep for Colonoscopy - Pepopik worked for a wimpy me!

Postby Baxter » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:27 pm

I have a brief update. I am getting ready for my 2nd colonoscopy, about 6 yrs after the original post. I was looking online for Prepopik and found that it has been discontinued... but not exactly. The manufacturer, Ferring, doesn't sell it as the little packs of powder anymore. They renamed it Clenpiq and now it's the same thing, but you get two little bottles of it in a box, already mixed with water. I'm guessing that their marketing people think it seems like less of a rip-off to get more stuff in a bigger, heavier box for the high price, instead of two little packets of powder and a cup. I'm asking my doctor to ask her drug rep for a sample.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”