Reverse Ileostomy Journal: Day 1

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Fred.R

Reverse Ileostomy Journal: Day 1

Postby Fred.R » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:32 am

Hey all;

So, yesterday the takedown. I was nervous as my first surgery had resulted in a tear which had hen resulted into 10 days at INC, but I took the tests and was cleared for reversal... 10 weeks after it was placed there.

Got into the hospital early as requested: So consequently, they were running late ( a multiple doctor surgery before me, mine as the "colon" part of the adventure.") I don't get mad at that - I would like to think were situations reversed, they'd take their time in the whole thing.

Meet the anesthesiologist, who was the same one from my first surgery (I requested). Shorter time under, not worried, etc, etc. Surgeon comes, explains that she's going go try to work with the existing hole but if not, I request she do a little minor surgery to make the first scar not as hideous. She laughs. Im serious.

Kiss my wife good stuff the good stuff kicks in. Its three hours later and I wake up and move and don't hear the creaking. Whew. I had to do one emergency bag change at the hospital after the two pre-surgery showers loosened it. I had gotten all that way to not change at a public place only to be undone at the finish line.

Two hours later I look down, white gauze, no pink thing and no bag. So far so good.

This morning I walked - counting steps since it's a hospital - 1500 steps. That's when the incision started to hurt... the meds were wearing off mid-walk. First lesson learned dull the pain before the hike. A little leakage, was waned of that too. But walking reactivates the colon and shreds days on the "3-5" days so, 5000 steps = a mile. Gonna focus on that today.

Today could be no liquids or clear liquids depending on the doctor. But it's day one, and now... everybody is waiting for me to rip one.

Gonna nap, and then try to fart.
DX: 6/20
Surgery: 8/10
Emerg. Surgery: 8:/13
Diagnosed Stage II, t3N0m0
No Chemo
Takedown 11/1

Traffic_Dude

Re: Reverse Ileostomy Journal: Day 1

Postby Traffic_Dude » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Luvin it....keep the humor and keep us posted...

justin case

Postby justin case » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:10 pm

When in the hospital, it is OK to fart in your unconsciousness, make good use of that! Congratulations are in order, when you poop a milk dud. You will understand this later :roll:
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

mm66ny

Postby mm66ny » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:25 am

I agree with Michael. Who else has to stay in the hospital until they fart or poop.

It'll be rough going in the beginning, especially with dairy. Use wipes and calmoseptine. It gets better.
Dx RC, T3N1M0, Feb. 2009
LAR, Ileostomy June 2009
12 Folfox tx
Ileostomy takedown Jan. 2010
June 2014 five years NED
Age 48
married w/7 children
Generally irresponsible

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:50 am

Fred.R wrote:...This morning I walked - counting steps since it's a hospital - 1500 steps. That's when the incision started to hurt... the meds were wearing off mid-walk. First lesson learned dull the pain before the hike. A little leakage, was waned of that too. But walking reactivates the colon and shreds days on the "3-5" days so, 5000 steps = a mile. Gonna focus on that today..

ImageWalking for METS

Fred.R

Postby Fred.R » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Okay, so I'm on day 3, I guess. Surgery Friday, here I am Sunday.

Last night was a bit of a nightmare... The painkiller I'm on is Dilaudid, It did the job but apparently there's a side-effect: Itchiness. About 10pm every inch of my body felt like it was covered in insects. Three rounds of Benadryl later I was drowsy and no longer suffering from fire-ant skin, but I spent the "extra hour" I got on a Saturday night clutching the bed trying not to claw my own skin off.

The good news: Wound is healing nicely. I'm off all IVs and now down to oral painkillers. If I pass gas, they want to send me home, which would be great.

The bad news, I haven't passed gas yet. It's down there. It's rumbling. I hear it. IT'S MOCKING ME. But whatever the hell is keeping my sphincter shut - which, by the way I know I'll be praying for in the next few weeks - isn't letting it go.

Another cup of tomato soup. More gatorade. And shifting on my ass back and forth trying to squeak one out and looking like I'm twerking. That's the rest of my Sunday.

Here's hoping for a squeaker...

Anybody got advice on how to make that happen without it being "Pull my finger?"
DX: 6/20
Surgery: 8/10
Emerg. Surgery: 8:/13
Diagnosed Stage II, t3N0m0
No Chemo
Takedown 11/1

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”