Food

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mfauss

Re: Food

Postby Mfauss » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:01 pm

Wow! Once again you all prove to be nothing short of amazing. Thank you so much for all the beneficial responses!!

kiwiinoz wrote: For me, I eat a diet that is healthy and nutritious but that is more to do with my wanting to feel that I can do something for myself to give me some more control over cancer. Obviously I have no control over it at all and the diet and exercise I do just give me a placebo effect of feeling like I have done something positive towards my cancer, and at the very worst they have helped keep me healthy and reduced my risk for other co-morbities

I've been told I use the diet/exercise as a "security blanket" against my cancer. Who can blame us for wanting a little bit of security, right?

Lee- Thank you for your post about the toothpaste..I have heard that from quite a few people, but haven't been able to bring myself to not use toothpaste. :| I appreciate the input. I've also heard it about so many other things as well; pop, gum, deodorant,water, bottled water, etc. Luckily, it's been well over a year since I last had pop, but I still gotta have that piece of gum now and then.

Like a few of you mentioned, I had also lost a good bit of weight, so my goal during chemo was to not lose any weight. After my surgery last summer, I had lost about 25lbs and had to gain that all back pretty quick in order to even start chemo..so you can imagine there were definitely some unhealthy eating habits there! lol Once I began treatment, I tried to be more cautious of what I was eating..but I was definitely one those that gained weight during treatment- I swear I ate everything in sight.

I finished treatment in Feb., and so far have had 6 months of clear scans. I do try to eat as healthy as possible. Luckily, I have always been a fan of fruits and veggies and fortunately for me the jpouch hasn't affected that too much. I have always leaned more towards chicken/fish (although, as someone pointed out- even that is frowned upon because of all the hormones, chemicals, antibiotics, etc.) instead of red meat. We only eat red meat maybe once or twice every week or two. I take daily vitamins and supplements such as curcumin in hopes of preventing any hiccups with my FAP and I run 2-3 miles almost everyday. I have seen it stated many places that stress is a huge factor in fighting this disease/staying healthy, so many many thanks to you all for the help here. I will def try to chill out about it! :lol:

Mfauss

Postby Mfauss » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Voxx66 wrote:By the way a good layman's book on household additives I reference is "Why There's Antifreeze in Your Toothpaste: The Chemistry of Household Ingredients". It's a nice reference based on science and not speculation/fear so if you are looking for something to help with outrage over common chemicals, this is not the book. (Oh to answer the book's title: Toothpaste commonly contains propylene glycol or a similar compound as a humectant (moisturizer) - it's mostly harmless) Basically, if you are the sort of person who reads the ingredient lists of household products and wonders what all those substances are and why there are present, then you would likely get some use from this book.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will be checking it out! :)

Mfauss

Postby Mfauss » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:10 pm

Amy- I couldn't have said it better. Seems like everything in one way or another is causing us cancer if you look far enough! I try to buy organic when I can, but sometimes we just can't afford it. Best of luck to you with the gas! lol Fortunately that is not a battle I have had to deal with too much since the reversal surgery. *knock on wood*

I had asked my oncologist about dietary recommendations after the completion of treatments, similar to what a lot of you have stated, she basically said to eat responsibly and try to eat a healthy diet. I asked her directly about sugar, because I was terrified of it at this point. So many people had told me "sugar fuels cancer", that I was avoiding all sugars, even in natural forms or fruit. The way she put it to me was that you would have to eat a large box of donuts in one sitting, often, to get your blood sugar to spike enough to possible even create this. Even then, she said it would be hard to happen because our bodies are so well equipped to maintain the perfect homeostasis that the body would compensate to avoid this. Not saying this is 100% true, and I am certainly not discounting what was stated by your oncologist at all, Cherie, just passing info along in case anyone is interested. Lord knows it's next to impossible to get doctors to agree on the same thing sometimes. :lol:

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Voxx66 wrote:By the way a good layman's book on household additives I reference is "Why There's Antifreeze in Your Toothpaste: The Chemistry of Household Ingredients". It's a nice reference based on science and not speculation/fear so if you are looking for something to help with outrage over common chemicals, this is not the book.

Thank you, I really did not give the person who sent me that post a lot of credit, after reading your response, maybe there is credit to what is being said here. Thank you for making me a bit smarter today, I will be following up on this.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”