Surgery for Incisional Hernia, Advice Needed...UPDATED

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jean60

Surgery for Incisional Hernia, Advice Needed...UPDATED

Postby jean60 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:06 am

I developed an incisional hernia a few months ago, in fact right before my reversal but it was so small I did not realize what it was and missed a chance to get the two birds with one thing.
The hernia has gotten somewhat larger in the meantime. I saw my surgeon yesterday (4 months post reversal check) and right now surgery is scheduled for Dec 16 unless I decide to cancel. I finish a semester Dec 13 and go back January 13.
I have read through many threads about this but still feel the need to ask for advice (yes I know it is my choice but I value the opinions here to help me make it). My surgeon said I would be in the hospital 2-3 nights primarily for purposes of pain control as he said it is a very painful surgery.
So. I guess the options I have are to a) get this done over semester break-he thinks that month is enough barring complications. b)wait until May, not sure how I feel about that or c)not do it at all-this option being one I am talking about more than he is.
I do wear a support garment all the time and for the most part am not bothered by the hernia. Sometimes it seems larger than others and is kind of gross, but grossness in this game has certainly seen far higher levels than this and my modeling days were long over anyway. Sometimes it is uncomfortable. Bottom line, if you did or did not have an incisional hernia repaired, how did it go and are you glad you chose that path??
Thanks in advance for any feedback; it is truly appreciated.

Jean
Last edited by jean60 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dx Rectal Cncr 5/12
Stage III
5 weeks Chemo (5FU) & Radiation completed
LAR with temporary ileostomy 9/12, complete response
Began FOLFOX 10/12. oxil reduced after tx 1, eliminated after tx 2. Now 5FU.
Finished 1/13
Ileostomy reversal 5/13

Ashlee H.

Re: Surgery for Incisional Hernia, Advice Needed

Postby Ashlee H. » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:01 pm

I know most people have no problem with a hernia repair. I had mine in combination with HIPEC. My surgeon used a Gor-tex mesh. He chose this because it is not supposed to adhere to things (which can be a major problem) and wasn't supposed to get bacteria. Well, I had a huge infection (unknown if due to mesh or HIPEC). Had to go to the ER and back in the hospital for 8 days. I had to have blood transfusions. Part of the incision opened up, so then I had to have drain tubes. It was a nightmare for me. I was told if they couldn't get rid of the infection, then they would have to go in and remove the mesh - it would have been an absolute nightmare. But, I did heal, and that was two years ago. The repair has allowed me to do a lot of things I could not do with the hernia. Another surgeon of mine said he would have used tissue from a cadevour or a pig because the body accepts that better. So my best advice to you would be to talk with your surgeon about the type of mesh he plans to use.
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

jean60

Postby jean60 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:56 pm

Sounds like very good advice Ashlee. I will ask him about that; thank you.

Jean
Dx Rectal Cncr 5/12
Stage III
Finished 1/13
Ileostomy reversal 5/13

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:56 pm

I also have an incisional hernia, about the size of a grapefruit. My surgeon does not want to repair it. He feels the risks out number the benefits, he sees many patients needing another surgery 6 - 12 months down the road, infection is a risk, and not all hernia's are created equal as far as being dangerous. He does not feel mine is dangerous, unless it continues to grow. He did recommend I lose weight...and I wish it was that easy, but I do understand what he is saying, I know I should and need to.

He has been surgeon for 30+ years, is very well respected at a large teaching hospital as knowing his stuff, so I am trustng his judgement. Having said that, your doctor knows YOUR situation best. It is very possible that in your case the benefits out weight the risks...only you and your doctor can make that decision.

Mine also hurts at times, grosses me out when I cough or sneeze, and looks insightly if I am not wearing my lycra cami. I have not tried a true hernia garment...maybe I should.

Good luck with your decision. I am sure another surgery is not something you will undergo lightly...
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:37 pm

I've had two repaired and have had no problems with either one. It's been 3-4 years now. It is a painful recovery but with pain meds it gets a little better every day.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Hi Belle;

Was your second repair for the same hernia...or a different one?

When I had my LAR, I had a hernia repair from my first surgery, it was a fairly small one I think...didn't even know I had one. He found it when he was doing the LAR and repaired it. I wonder if this big one is the same one...or different..

How would you rate the pain and recovery as compared to a LAR, or reversal? Or is that not a fair comparison?
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

mstults

Postby mstults » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm fairly big. About 270 lbs with a lot of it in midsection. I have a hernia from resection surgery that is almost the size of a football. It limits me and I'd like to have it fixed but onc doesn't want me to be off chemo that long. I wear an abdominal binder that really helps. I think a contributing factor in its cause is that I have chronic bronchitis and was coughing quite a lot when I had surgery. And when I had surgery the incision got infected. I haven't talked to the surgeon. I'm sure he'd tell me I have to lose weight to have the repair. Onc doesn't want me to lose very much very quickly.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

pog451
Facebook Username: andrew.morgan

Postby pog451 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:22 am

tammylayne wrote:I also have an incisional hernia, about the size of a grapefruit.

This sounds like me, up to and including the "lose weight" part.

I had/have a decent beer belly and Im sure it has contributed to my hernia - I had one I hadn't noticed that they repaired when they did my liver, but now the liver incision has a grapefruit. Im pretty sure its due to excessive BMs and pushing during and immediately after chemo. Like you, It doesn't bother me apart from the "blobmonster" aspect (took some courage to walk around by the pool in just my trunks on holiday, I can tell you). Otherwise it doesn't bother me although I do have and wear an elastic "cummerbund" a lot of the time.

My onc isn't worried, says I can get it done next year if I want to - he has another patient whos whole guts apparently hang out through an hernia and hes supposedly fine, so its not exactly a life-threatening thing (as long as you don't get intestine trapped). A surgeon friend has recommended not having it done laparascopically, because that is apparently less effective, but all else being well I am going to have it done, because I think being careful about it WILL limit me long run.
09.11 Dx @ 46, uT3uN1M0 G2
11.11 radio+Xeloda
01.12 LAR
03.12 Xeloda
09.12 Liver mets, 2 LN
09.12 Folfox+Avastin
02.13 Resection
04.13 Folfox & Avastin
11.13 Local recurrence
02-07.14 FOLFIRINOX
08.14 Re-rediation
Left us 28.05.2015

cgen521

Postby cgen521 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:26 am

My mom had a very large incisional hernia repair in April. It turned out
to be more of an abdominal reconstruction.
She had many problems from the hernias, including two blockages
and one that had become incarcerated but resolved on its own.
She had over 8 hernias repaired and had large mesh inserted.
She still has a seroma which her surgeon does not
want to drain due to fear of infection.
It is a big surgery with a long recovery.
It definitely helps to have major confidence in your surgeon.
Good luck with your surgery.
Mom diagnosed 2/09-Stage 11A colon
T3N0M0
Folfox-4 cycles-Folfiri-8 cycles
NED 02/09

KimT

Postby KimT » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:22 am

I had a hernia repaired using cadaver mesh in May 2012. It was the easiest of my 4 abdominal surgeries and has made me much more comfortable. I didn't find it to be any more painful than my other surgeries but the recovery was longer. When you use mesh, sometimes it feels like something is pulling and that can hurt. I still get that every now and again, even now. I wore an abdominal binder for 4 weeks post surgery which I think is a great idea for any abdominal surgery. And I took it real easy with exercise for 6 months.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

jean60

Postby jean60 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:47 am

What a wide range of experience here and thank you all for your responses. This is going to be a tough call, I think.

Jean
Dx Rectal Cncr 5/12
Stage III
Finished 1/13
Ileostomy reversal 5/13

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:05 pm

I have an unrepaired incisional hernia that shows up on CT scans, since 7 years ago, but is otherwise not visible and has never bothered me.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

ranger
Facebook Username: cancerIsSOfunny

Postby ranger » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:02 am

I waited a year after I finished chemo before having the surgery, I just wanted to be out in the world and not in a hospital. My surgical team was a general surgeon who does lots of colon and hernia surgery, and a plastic surgeon to close. They used a porcine patch instead of synthetic mesh. Surgery went great, post-op was surprisingly painful, recovery went great, and I'm really glad I requested Physical Therapy to help with those muscles. My core is still not as strong as I'd like but there's no gap in my abdominal muscles, and my body looks way more normal without my bulgeormous blob belly thingy squirming around beneath my paper-thin stretched skin.

I'm very glad I had the repair when I did. When my guts hurt, I feel more secure that it's just guts and scarring and not my intestines twisting into a blockage.

ps, My insurance needed some kind of documents from my surgeon certifying that my repair was medically necessary.
good luck to you,
AMY
colon resection 3/09
liver resection and takedown 8/09
11 rounds of folfax, avastin. plus AM655 or placebo, completed jan 2010
hernia repair 3/11
http://cancerissofunny.blogspot.com/
https://m.facebook.com/Cancer-is-SO-fun ... 100303900/
@cancerissofunny
age 70, never thought I'd make it. happy.
NED a long time.
Essential Thrombocytosis, monitoring
still here.

cashmere

Postby cashmere » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:49 am

This thread is fascinating, I never realized how many different experiences there have been for hernias. I was fortunate that I did not develop one, my husband was always on me to make sure I did not do anything that would cause one as he is a nurse and knows how difficult the surgery can be, especially soon after the original open surgery. Best of luck with your decision, Pearl
Stage III
Diagnosed 4/07 at 51
36 rad/24/7 chemo bag
surg 9/07
6 mon chemo w/48 hr bag
ileo reversal 5/08
NED since 9/07!!
Just resolved my 13th blockage
Been able to control blockage issues with fiber supplements!!

jean60

Postby jean60 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:12 pm

The decision I have made at this point is that I need to talk to my surgeon again. Thanks all.

Jean
Dx Rectal Cncr 5/12
Stage III
Finished 1/13
Ileostomy reversal 5/13

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”