how to deal with WORK - advice please

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
canoe1

how to deal with WORK - advice please

Postby canoe1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:15 am

Hi Everyone,

I am having a hemi-colectomy in two weeks and finding it hard to know what to say to work people. I am a freelance photographer so it makes it easier in one way but know that clients will wonder where I am! For some reason i don't want to just tell everyone I have bowel cancer. I'd like to play it low key.

Thinking of what to say in the email - any ideas? "I am on leave"? I am on sabbatical? Or just come clean and say I am having surgery?

Any suggestions gratefully received
Tricia
Staging - T3, N1, M0. November 2013
17 Lymph nodes removed. 1 cancerous.
Tumour in Colon -Had Hemi colectomy.
Moderately differentiated cells in tumour.
EMVI (extra mural vascular invasion) - negative.

raym

Re: how to deal with WORK - advice please

Postby raym » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:42 am

If it were me I would just update that I am away due to some medical procedures. No need to get specific.
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial

canoe1

Postby canoe1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:34 am

yes good idea.
i don't know why it's been bothering me a lot.....

so thanks!

Also anyone taken aloe vera for inflamed gut before hand?
Staging - T3, N1, M0. November 2013
17 Lymph nodes removed. 1 cancerous.
Tumour in Colon -Had Hemi colectomy.
Moderately differentiated cells in tumour.
EMVI (extra mural vascular invasion) - negative.

PainInTheAss

Postby PainInTheAss » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:12 pm

raym wrote:If it were me I would just update that I am away due to some medical procedures. No need to get specific.

Yes, and give more details to people you feel comfortable telling and be vague with others who don't need to know. Even saying you are having surgery isn't specific, but might invite questions later when you see people face to face. Dodging those questions with a "I'm just glad it's all over and I'd rather not go into it right now..." is a polite way of telling people to mind their own business.
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

justin case

Postby justin case » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:13 pm

I'll be unavailable for a while, please leave your message, I'll return your call as soon as possible :wink:
Regards,
Michael
You may be on your feet sooner than you think, just don't lift anything heavy!
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:38 pm

I run my own small business with 15 staff.
I told staff, but I asked them to not tell suppliers or customers.
I did not tell, and still have not told customers as I believe a cancer diagnosis will risk the relationships we have.
No matter what people say, it will be a tough thing for them to continue to support you when their future business is on the line.
Look at it from their point of view in that you have cancer. Most people that are not exposed to cancer consider it a death sentence so will avoid dealing with you
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

nicola smith

Postby nicola smith » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:53 pm

kiwiinoz wrote:I run my own small business with 15 staff.
I told staff, but I asked them to not tell suppliers or customers.
I did not tell, and still have not told customers as I believe a cancer diagnosis will risk the relationships we have.
No matter what people say, it will be a tough thing for them to continue to support you when their future business is on the line.
Look at it from their point of view in that you have cancer. Most people that are not exposed to cancer consider it a death sentence so will avoid dealing with you

I agree completely with Kiwiinoz but would go further...don't tell staff as it will invariably get back to customers/clients who might see doing business with you as a risk to their business, thus creating a risk to yours.

All people need to know is that you are going in for major surgery. Any down time you have later (i.e. for chemo), you can explain away as part of regular followup after a tough surgery. (Of course this doesn't work if you are in a small town where everyone knows everybody and everything)
UC history
11/09: Dx, CEA 2.9
02/10: colectomy, temp ileo; pT3N1Mx
10/10: 12 Folfox6
03/11: jpouch
2010/11/12/13/14: 6 PET and/or CT's - NED
quarterly 03/2010- 03/2015: CEA range 0.8-1.3
03/2015: discharged to GP :D

ASTEPHENS33

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:52 pm

I decided not to tell most people because of my personal choice to want to deal with this with close family and friends. Once I was half way through chemo, I was totally open about it. At work, I found so much extra support. So it worked for me.

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:50 am

I told the school i was teaching at (just 13 staff) when i was diagnosed. I was so distraught, i couldnt work right away and i had an avalanche of scans and appointments, i honestly don know how you explain six weeks off without warning other than a serious disease.

I didnt work by choice the year after with chemo and all and when i got a new teaching position i didnt mention it - bu then ive needed two surgeries, multiple appointments and scans in the two years ive been there - again i couldnt think of anything more reasonable than the truth to excuse my constant absences.

Truthfully, i suspect its cost me my job. We had excess staff, those of us on contracts had to apply formally and i missed out. I know its because of my illness, but i cant prove that and wouldnt want to anyway. There's discrimination law and there's the real world.

But in m next job i am not fessing up, im remaining positive that after my recent colostomy surgery, im back to normal and wont need to mention the c word.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”