bladder function after ULAR

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
carrie

bladder function after ULAR

Postby carrie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:36 am

Hi... I was hoping for a little advice regarding bladder issues.Had ULAR in July and am finding that i am leaking (for want of a better word) quite a bit. I asked the registrar at my post surgery check-up and he did say it was normal and would "Get better with time" but he couldn't say how much time. Am managing my ileostomy fine.. no problems at all but find the constant dribble to be frustrating to say the least. Any help would be so appreciated, many thanks, Karen.
Diagnosed March 3/2013 Rectal cancer
T1N0MX 15 nodes biopsied, none positive
Lymphovascular invasion present/moderate
July 9/2013 ultra-low anterior resection
Temp ileostomy
Rectum removed
2 liver lesions- probable cysts
Probable cyst on spleen
Hernia.

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Re: bladder function after ULAR

Postby Jachut » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:40 am

I have had the opposite problem, a bladder that can be difficult to empty. It has indeed gotten better over three years but is different to what it was. My new "rectum" however got worse over time after appearing to function well after reversal and i now have a colostomy. Did you have radiation? Thats whats caused my issues.

carrie

Postby carrie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Many thanks for the reply. I didn't have radiation as I have adhesions from previous surgery which ruled it out. Initially diagnosed stage 111 but after surgery and pathology it was determined I am T1N0MX. Rectum was removed but no issues with that area at the moment. Apologies for not being able to post a signature...but I am ashamed to say I don't know how to do it. Thought I sorted it but nope....didn't work. :oops:
Temp ileostomy
Rectum removed
Probable cyst on spleen
Hernia.

Makie1503

Postby Makie1503 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:31 am

Hi Carrie,
I also have bladder issues following LAR. I've had it a while and have asked lots of questions of various professionals. To my knowledge, it's not that uncommon and most people's will resolve. The nerves controlling your bladder and sphincter's are all very close to your rectum and can react to inflammation following surgery. The recovery of your bladder can be more complex if you had vascular invasion of your primary tumour, as the nerves and muscles can be more permanently damaged. I suffer from the opposite of you - my bladder won't empty much at all, and without a catheter, I go into urinary retention.
I wonder if might want to ask about pelvic floor exercises, as they can help strengthen and retrain weak sphincter muscles. Sorry if you've already looked into this. I find bladder issues worse to deal with than the stoma, and can knock your confidence.
Best Wishes and Good luck!

carrie

Postby carrie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:44 am

Thank you so much for the reply and good wishes. you are right about your confidence taking a hit...hadn't given much thought to this kind of leaking before the op :( I will definitely be getting started on the pelvic floor excersises promptly! There was lymphovascular invasion but I didn't realize that it could contribute to the bladder issues. Thanks for the info, Kind regards,Karen :)
Temp ileostomy
Rectum removed
Probable cyst on spleen
Hernia.

Rheaeliza

Postby Rheaeliza » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:34 pm

I had HIPEC 6 weeks ago including colon resection, and hysterectomy, and I too, 6 weeks post op am having some trouble. I can go pee fine, though it does feel a little uncomfortable, and then a few times a day, particularly if I move or stretch to reach for something, I'll have a little leakage. Been wearing a sanitary pad. At first, at the hospital, the nurses told me that and some discomfort can come from catheter during surgery...?
12/7/12: 30 yrs. old, Dx stage 4b.mets to liver, ovary, nodes, ommentum.
7 months chemo, shrinkage!
8/26/13 HIPEC, colon resection,hysterectomy, appndx, gallbladder out.
9/12/13:leak in colon, temp. loop ileost, home 9/18
11/3/13: liver resect.
1/2014 Ostomy reversal, one week later, abcess surg., fistula, tpn.
No more chemo, NED since 11/13

lauragb

Postby lauragb » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:12 pm

I had some bladder leakage and pain with urination following my LAR. The leaking was unpredictable, not with coughing or exertion like you hear of with incontinence. After several months, I quit the leaking and the pain did subside but hasn't gone completely away. Then last December I had another open surgery for a bowel obstruction and lyses of adhesions. Following that surgery, I started leaking again and the pain kicked back in for several months but I only have an occasional leak now, like once a month if that. Still have the pelvic pain following urination but it subsides quickly. It sounds like there are so many factors involved such as tumor invasion, whether one has had radiation. I was never told to keep my bladder full for treatments. I had a long car ride to each treatment and always had to go when I got there. The staff never said a word as they waited for me to go to the bathroom before my treatment. Nice people, but I guess they didn't know. Anyway, I digress. I hope your leakage resolves soon. Since mine wasn't constant, wearing a regular pad was all I needed.

Goodluck.
RC 3B 7/2011 @ 53
Chemoradiation 5 weeks 8/11
LAR-Hysterect-temp ileo
pCR, 0/23 nodes
Folfox 1/12, Xeloda 2/12 to 5/12
Reversal 5/12
SBO,lysis of adhesions 12/12
NED 11/12, 11/13, 6/16

carrie

Postby carrie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:24 am

Thanks everyone for all the info... you have all been a great help. Guess it is still early days but good to know that everything is more or less progressing as it should be. Being able to share experiences is very comforting, thank you all. :)
Karen.
Temp ileostomy
Rectum removed
Probable cyst on spleen
Hernia.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:02 pm

carrie wrote: Apologies for not being able to post a signature...but I am ashamed to say I don't know how to do it. Thought I sorted it but nope....didn't work. :oops:

When you are logged in click on User Control Panel, then click the Profile tab. On the left side, click Edit Signature and you can type in your info.
Make sure you hit SUBMIT to save the changes.

Check out this post of mine carrie for how to put your signature into your posts. if you have problems or PM me.
Best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

carrie

Postby carrie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:29 am

Thanks CRguy for the info about my signature. :) Still a little unsure of the finer points but my 16yr old son has assured me he will help me....i just have to ask him when he doesn't have a playstation controller in his hands. Many thanks, much appreciated :D
Temp ileostomy
Rectum removed
Probable cyst on spleen
Hernia.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”