Ileostomy reversal post rectal resection recovery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CrazyHarry
Facebook Username: Harry.Melamed

Ileostomy reversal post rectal resection recovery

Postby CrazyHarry » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:16 pm

I must first apologize that I was too lazy to search the board for a previous answer. Too damn lazy and feeling like a got run over by a truck from my last chemo.

I'm scheduled for the ileostomy reversal on 10/21. How long til I'm back in my feet and back at work?

I'm a computer geek so no heavy lifting, but there are those pesky meetings.

Thanks all
rectal cancer - 12/2012
54 yrs old at diagnoses
Stage - Stage: IIA (T3, N0, M0)
radiation/Chemo - 6 weeks
Surgery Lap - 4/25 (Temporary Ileostomy)
Chemo FOLFOX - 6/3/13
Cancer has fled my body
Surgery ileostomy reversal 11/6/13
C Diff 11/8/13

chemo sabe

Re: Ileostomy reversal post rectal resection recovery

Postby chemo sabe » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:17 pm

I was off for 7 or so weeks. It took all of that to get my bowel movements under enough control that I felt confident enough to go to work and wear white slacks. I also needed the rest.
64 year old male
Diagnosed Stage 3 Rectal Cancer - T3N1M0 - Oct 2011
28 radiation treatments with xeloda
Colon resection with ileostomy Feb 2012
8 Rounds of Xelox completed Sept 2012
Ileostomy reversal surgery Oct 2012
Incisional Hernia Repair Nov 2013

lorrainem
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/lorraineaminogue

Postby lorrainem » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Expect the unexpected. Whatever information you are given by your medical professionals is true; but on a case by case basis. Your recovery may be very different (not wrong, just different.)

Good luck and wishing you the best for success.
Chemorad/Surgery/Chemo
Stage II, no mets, no nodes NED 05/08 again 08/08 again 11/08
Ileostomy reversal 10/16/08

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:00 pm

CrazyHarry wrote:...I'm scheduled for the ileostomy reversal on 10/21... How long til I'm back in my feet and back at work?

Hi CrazyHarry - There are members of this Forum who have gone back to work in just a few weeks. Perhaps more of them will reply to your post so that you can get an idea of the range. I think that 4 weeks will be required just for healing of the surgery. During this time it is very important not to put any pressure on the surgery site, not to lift heavy objects, not to open heavy sliding doors, etc. The surgical site needs time to heal properly, otherwise you may end up with a hernia.

At the same time, there is the problem of getting the colon working again, which is different for each patient. One thing you can do right now in preparation for the post-reversal scenario is to start doing sphincter control exercises. The colon and sphincter have been "off-line" for a number of months and need to be retrained. You can shorten the time that it takes to get everything working well enough for going back to work by doing the sphincter exercises now, and by watching what you eat and how often you eat so as to control the flow of stool through the system.

Here is a link to a leaflet on sphincter exercises:

Sphincter exercises

One Forum member, Rockovage, reported that sphincter exercises (Kegel exercises) done prior to the reversal operation proved to be beneficial in shortening the time to return to normal bowel functioning: re: Kegel exercises

Stomatrooper

Postby Stomatrooper » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:20 pm

We are all different

For me 2 x weeks (but I work mainly from home anyway) - I think it is better if you can take a month off.
John, Diag. 20 5 2010 @55
Rectal, 2cm dia, 3cm from anal verge
T2N0M0
5.5 Wk Chemorad
ULAR Oct 2010
Temp Ileo, infection; blockage; incisional hernia
Takedown Jan 2011
Hernia fix - June 2011
Clean CT 2011; 2012 & 2015
Clean scope May 2013

Coppercent

Postby Coppercent » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:37 pm

I went back to work 12 days after my reversal surgery. I had my temp ostomy for 11 months. My whole rectum was removed leaving enough to reconnect the sphincter muscle. Everyone is different. Listen to your surgeon. He/she knows your situation best. Unfortunately there is not a one size fits all plan. My surgeon had me jump right in with a regular diet and advised me to stay away from Imodium etc for the first few weeks. Best of luck!
07/15/11 Stage III Rectal, 08/11 - 09/11 Chemo/rad 11/11 LAR - Whole rectum gone, ostomy, hysterectomy
01/12 Port placed, 01/12 thru 06/12 Folfox, Xelox 10/03/12 Reversal, Clear scan
And then the story continues.
Currently, remission round two!

-Sophie-

Postby -Sophie- » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:35 am

I went back to work at 3 weeks post reversal. I had a LAR which was able save several cm of rectum. I felt fine in terms of healing after surgery and my bowels were going well. I think it all comes down to how your reversal is going.

I did pelvic floor exercises for the months leading up to surgery I assume that helped. I took Imodium most mornings to ensure I didn't have too many issues at work. I am now on Metamucil and no Imodium and its going very well (1 small bit of clustering in the evening is my normal)
29 yo f w daughters 5 & 2
Dx nov 2012- 3c (T4N2M0)
Chemo/rad Dec 2012 - Jan 2013
16 march 2013 LAR + rad hyst, temp ileostomy
Patho no viable cancer found, 0/10 lymph nodes
April - June 2013 Chemo 5fu, 4 rounds
July 31st 2013 reversal and port removal

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”