Liver resection recovery: SLOW- back to MSK/ update

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
DBF
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1000008

Liver resection recovery: SLOW- back to MSK/ update

Postby DBF » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Well, I had my liver resection at MSK last Saturday, and they sent me home yesterday. I'm having awful lower right back pain- was told it may be from hunching over when I'm walking. I have no appetite whatsoever, and I'm so tired I've been falling asleep in the middle of conversations. I haven't been able to write an update sooner than today because I haven't been able to stay awake long enough to do so.

They took 15% of my liver- the tumor was on the top, towards the back. Initially, I thought things were going well (when I had Toradol AND Dilaudid via IV), but a day or two before I left the hospital (taking only dilaudid pills) I started getting episodes of chills (teeth chattering really badly) with no fever. My while blood cell count was normal, but my red count was low, so I got a blood transfusion. After the transfusion, the nurse said I'd likely feel better, but I didn't notice much of a difference. Also, I just got a call today that the initial results from one blood culture from my port tested positive for staph. I have to go back in on Tuesday to get another culture, but I'm a little nervous about this all considering I didn't feel ready to leave the hospital when I did (the surgeon and his team said insurance likely would not have approved the extra night stay).

Any of this sound familiar to anyone? I'm hoping to feel better soon and not wind up back in the hospital, but I'm not even sure what staph infection means in terms of a mediport, and what I've read online sounds scary.
Last edited by DBF on Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
6/13 Dx @ 29 Wks pregnant, 42 yo
Adenocarcinoma, mucinous
7/13 C-sec/col resec/part. hysterectomy
8/13 Pulm embolism
8/13 Spread to liver
9/13 Liver resection
FOLFOX
CEA UP
ADAPT: Xeloda/Celebrex
2/14 oopherectomy
10/15 obstruction surg
10/17 Scar tissue removal/vsg surg
2019: NED :)
2021: NED :D
2022: NED :)
Mom to 3 boys: 24, 13 & 9

O Stoma Mia

Re: Liver resection recover: SLOW

Postby O Stoma Mia » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:09 pm

DBF wrote:... I started getting episodes of chills (teeth chattering really badly) ... Also, I just got a call today that the initial results from one blood culture from my port tested positive for staph. I have to go back in on Tuesday to get another culture ... Any of this sound familiar to anyone? ...and what I've read online sounds scary.

Hi DBF - If the culture tested positive for staph, then it might be MRSA (hopefully not!). The hospital will need to keep on top of this to determine exactly what kind of infection it is and which type of antibiotic might be effective against it. Here is a link to information on this type of infection:

MRSA Infections

Keep us posted on what the doctors find out...

DBF

Postby DBF » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Yes, that's the kind of stuff I've been reading- I'm terrified that it's MRSA. My white count is normal, though, and has been since the surgery. My incision site looks good, my port doesn't hurt at all--

My husband called the surgical nurse this afternoon to follow up with some questions. She said they suspect the culture may have been a contaminated sample because I had no other signs of infection, but that they wouldn't get the final results for a week. Hoping my visit on Tuesday will shed some light on things. I'm having more bloodwork done then, both from my vein and from the port.
Adenocarcinoma, mucinous
8/13 Pulm embolism
8/13 Spread to liver
9/13 Liver resection
FOLFOX
CEA UP
2/14 oopherectomy
10/15 obstruction surg

Badass

Re: Liver resection recovery: SLOW

Postby Badass » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Wow, I am surprised MSK let you go so soon-- I was in from Monday to Sunday a couple of weeks ago for a resection and pump install. I found I was very, very depleted at first-- more than I expected. Who was your surgeon? I also got chills at night but no fever-- I think just my body working overtime. The two week mark was a big turning point for me. I hope yours comes soon!! And keeping my fingers crossed on the infection.

Jane
R.C. 12/23/11 at age 52 T3N0M0
3/1/12 completed Xeloda and radiation
5/4/12 LAR & Ileostomy
6/7/12-10/4/12 6 rounds Xelox
11/27/12 Reversal
7/13/13 1 liver met
8/13 Met resection /hai pump
4/14 Chemo completed (Irinotecan/5fu/fudr in pump)

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:47 pm

DBF wrote:Yes, that's the kind of stuff I've been reading- I'm terrified that it's MRSA. My white count is normal, though, and has been since the surgery. My incision site looks good, my port doesn't hurt at all-- My husband called the surgical nurse this afternoon to follow up with some questions. She said they suspect the culture may have been a contaminated sample because I had no other signs of infection, but that they wouldn't get the final results for a week. Hoping my visit on Tuesday will shed some light on things. I'm having more bloodwork done then, both from my vein and from the port.

Hi DBF - Here's a link to a quiz on MRSA. If it's really MRSA, then do you have any idea how you might have caught it? A week is a long time to have to wait for blood culture results. Keep yourself healthy in the meantime. If they do give you more antibiotics next week, try to find out the name of the specific antibiotic to determine whether it is one of the older ones, or one of the newer ones designed specifically for infections like MRSA.

MRSA Quiz

DBF

Re: Liver resection recovery: SLOW

Postby DBF » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:17 pm

My surgeon was Dr. Jarnigan. The surgery was on a Saturday, so I was there for six days. The worst of it is fatigue, which I understand they can't justify keeping me there for (though I would have loved another day of monitoring).
I actually dragged myself out today and did a lot of walking, and I have to say- I'm feeling a lot better.

The nurse never mentioned MRSA specifically- just that one of the cultures taken from the port showed signs (preliminary results) of staph infection. The samples taken from my arm vein were fine. I'm not currently taking any antibiotics.

Has anyone around here a port removed/replaced due to an infection?
Adenocarcinoma, mucinous
8/13 Pulm embolism
8/13 Spread to liver
9/13 Liver resection
FOLFOX
CEA UP
2/14 oopherectomy
10/15 obstruction surg

DBF

Re: Liver resection recovery: SLOW- back to MSK/ update

Postby DBF » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:29 am

I wasn't able to sleep tonight because of the pain, so I went back to MSK, to Urgent Care (where I am now).

I'm waiting for a CT Scan. The doctor I saw thinks there may be some fluid buildup on the right side, but he doesn't think it's infected as I have no fever and no elevated WBC count.

Getting pain medication now- hoping that will make a difference.

I've never had any kind of drain and am scared of having to have this. I'll update when I know what's going on.
Adenocarcinoma, mucinous
8/13 Pulm embolism
8/13 Spread to liver
9/13 Liver resection
FOLFOX
CEA UP
2/14 oopherectomy
10/15 obstruction surg

debzak

Postby debzak » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:17 am

so sorry you are having such a rough time. I went to the MSK urgent care over the summer on a saturday.... alot of waiting. I was really tired, much more than I thought I should have been, after my HAI pump install in june. I couldln't eat and stayed in the hospital 8 days... ng tube to pump my stomach and everything.

take it slow. I found no reason to rush anything. If you need to rest, rest. If you have energy to get up, get up.

Keep us posted.

Debbi
2/27/12 dx rectal cancer (stage III)
3/6/12 44th B-day
3/19/12 Oxi & 5-FU (8 rounds)
7/9/12 chemo-rad
11/5/12 LAR surgery temp ileo
1/20/13 4 rounds Xeloda
5/13 multiple liver mets
6/4/13 HAI pump at Sloan
KRAS wild & BRAF mutation found :(

Badass

Postby Badass » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:27 am

Hi,
I hope you are starting to feel better pain-wise and did not have to be readmitted. If it helps, I posted very soon after my resection that I couldn't get over how exhausted I was so I think we all have this experience of being surprised at the level of fatigue. Monday will be three weeks for me and I have times where I feel really normal energy-wise and I think I am over the hump (this week I flew to NYC by myself and took the hour long subway ride to my appointments). Then I will hit a crash when I am absolutely exhausted to the point of not feeling I have the energy to move and can barely keep my eyes open. Sending you all good wishes and will continue to check here on how you are feeling.
I had a drain with my ileostomy reversal and it wasn't a big deal-- well bandaged etc. I am glad they don't think you have an infection.

Jane
R.C. 12/23/11 at age 52 T3N0M0
3/1/12 completed Xeloda and radiation
5/4/12 LAR & Ileostomy
6/7/12-10/4/12 6 rounds Xelox
11/27/12 Reversal
7/13/13 1 liver met
8/13 Met resection /hai pump
4/14 Chemo completed (Irinotecan/5fu/fudr in pump)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”