Recovery after liver/gb resection + hai pump

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Badass

Recovery after liver/gb resection + hai pump

Postby Badass » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi All,
So, it has been two weeks and I still feel whipped. I could fall asleep at anytime and still feel more like a sick than well person. I am still sore too. I have been keeping up with walking, get out of my pjs each morning and everyone says I look and move great. I am usually so robust and resilient. For those who have had this surgery, how was your recovery?

Jane
R.C. 12/23/11 at age 52 T3N0M0
3/1/12 completed Xeloda and radiation
5/4/12 LAR & Ileostomy
6/7/12-10/4/12 6 rounds Xelox
11/27/12 Reversal
7/13/13 1 liver met
8/13 Met resection /hai pump
4/14 Chemo completed (Irinotecan/5fu/fudr in pump)

mom_2_3

Re: Recovery after liver/gb resection + hai pump

Postby mom_2_3 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Jane,

It took me about 6 weeks to feel normal after my live resection and HAI pump install. I had 40% of my liver removed and my surgeon explained that my body was using my energy to help the re-growing liver. I took it easy and had help from my wonderful MIL and sister around the house. I took the cues from my body and didn't push myself. Hope you are feeling back to yourself soon. Regardless of the way I felt physically, I felt great mentally to know I had had all the cancer removed. The only long-term issue I had was shoulder pain. I discovered that the surgeons pinned my arms above my head and had them there 7 hours. My friend needed surgery from the same thing. I just pushed through the pain and could not lie down with arms over my head. Yoga and weight-listing gradually helped and the shoulder feels fine today.

HTH,
Amy
CC discovered during c-section (11/4/08)
Diagnosed Stage IV 11/10/08 -- Happy 39th Birthday! 5 bilobar liver mets
02/09: Colectomy, liver resection, HAI pump implanted, 7 of 42 nodes
7 months of FUDR and 5FU ended 11/2/09
10 years NED.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”