can't believe I am doing it!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
msannE53

can't believe I am doing it!

Postby msannE53 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:01 pm

This is very new for me to get on a site and connect with others but, you people seem like the group. 5 years ago I had surgery for colorectal cancer. Took awhile to heal but did pretty good. I really felt all was well. Unfortunately polyps have been growing like crazy the last couple of years. Now my colon is so brittle and inflammation is quite severe. My gastroentologist is nervous that he will not find cancer in time or the bowel could be perforated during examination. Anyway, in short for familial reasons I am "high risk" for colon cancer to return... it is not "if" but "when". So I had a choice.... to go as I have been going ... frequent colonoscopies where they may not find the cancerous polyps in time, continual removal of the ones they do find OR have a subtotal colectomy. I am choosing my best chance at life.... the "gratitude" surgery I call it. (Although I am very scared as I wait for my date.) I certainly did not like my last surgery. This one with be more invasive. But, I will have my terrific surgeon back. All the medical team I had will be the same so I am not nervous about them.

Funny, I was just at the point that I had control over my bowels.... things going well.Started even putting the "cancer thoughts" way, way in the back of my head.

My life is pretty good. I have an awesome husband and family. My new grandson just arrived! I have a lot to live for.... so here goes .... I am on this forum for support. I trust I can also support others.

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Re: can't believe I am doing it!

Postby NWgirl » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:22 pm

That is a very brave and bold decision and I have tremendous respect for your courageous choice. Will you have an ostomy or are you going for some sort of a reconnect with your small intestine? With either choice, there are support groups who can help you. I have a permanent colostomy - which makes bathroom problems a thing of the past (for the most part). It was my choice - my previous reversal just never worked out. So I know all about making difficult decisions about quality of life.

Welcome to the group - there are many wonderful, caring, intelligent and supportive people here. I think you'll really love it.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

msannE53

Postby msannE53 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:47 am

Don't feel brave but thank you for your comments. Last time my surgeon had removed most of my rectum but left some so that now he will remove the colon but for enough to take and attach to the small intestine. That is the hope. I might need an ileostomy while healing occurs but unsure about that. I think from hearing others, it could be very tough getting my body with my bowels to work together on this!

You mentioned support groups... I would sure like that. I feel somewhat along in this (although I have family and friends). It is just sort of tough talking about this to folks who I think struggle to listen. Mostly I stay quiet about it. But, I do want to be in the right mind space when I go in for surgery and be prepared and knowledgeable to be ready.

Sounds like you have things working well with an ostomy bag. Glad that is working for the most part for you. It is crazy isn't it that our bowels can really define what one can't and can do.

One thing I am concerned about is work after my surgery. Have no idea with bathroom issues.

Anyway, waiting for my date of surgery. I will be given approximately a two week window when I get that date. So working on organizing my life up to that.

Thanks for answering my post. Peace. AnnE

NWgirl

Postby NWgirl » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:09 am

The UOAA Group (United Ostomy Associates of America) has a sub-group on their chat board for temporary ostomies and reversals. Here's a link - https://www.ostomy.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=25

You can find some support there - though sometimes it can be a little quiet. This group (here) is also a good place to get tips on managing your bowels - whether from a reversal surgery - or just fussy bowels from being messed with too much through chemo and/or surgery. If you haven't checked out the MD Anderson Bowel Management Program, it has some useful techniques - you can use some or all of them, depending on what your needs. Here's a link to that - I printed it out and had it as a reference when I was having problems.
http://www2.mdanderson.org/app/pe/index ... c&docid=34

Surgeries like this can be complete success, complete failure or somewhere inbetween. You just never know until you try. One thing that does seem universal is that the first few weeks are the most challenging - so don't judge your success on those early days. All bodies need time to heal and adjust to their new plumbing - so you can almost always be assured things will get better after those first difficult weeks.

So many here have been through it that there's a wealth of information here on the board you can browse through. Just search on "reversal surgery" and you'll get hundreds of threads on it. Here's hoping that yours is a complete success!
Perm Colostomy 8/11
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

msannE53

Postby msannE53 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:09 pm

You are super helpful.... thank you so very much!! I will check out the information where you suggested and especially this group, for people like you.

Thank you so very much. Now... here's hoping I get a date soon. Remain anxious waiting for the date.

chrisnellany

Postby chrisnellany » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Best wishes with your forthcoming surgery, I too am awaiting my fourth resection on my liver, op in two weeks. Ill be thinking of too, christine

msannE53

Postby msannE53 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Dear Christine -- Thank you so much. That is a lot you have gone through and will be again. Wow... you okay about all of that?
Take care.... please know I am thinking about you... what is your date... I will specifically send all good things your way on that day.
peace, AnnE

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Ann, it really sounds like you've given this decision a lot of thought and, I would like to think I would do the same thing if I were in your place. (That is,knowing what I now know about postponed.) Let us know how you're doing. Ellen's given you very good advice and good websites.

God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

msannE53

Postby msannE53 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:53 pm

well after all this time finally have a date for surgery -- February 3... now all of a sudden it feels so soon. preparing now to be ready. thanks everyone for your support. Most worried about post-op.
AnnE

NWgirl

Postby NWgirl » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Take a deep breath - you can do this!!!
Perm Colostomy 8/11
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013