Something to cheer about

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
missk

Something to cheer about

Postby missk » Fri May 26, 2006 12:04 pm

Hi. I thought some good news would be a welcome post. I just had my first 3-month check-up after six months of chemo and radiation for rectal cancer. And, I am cancer-free!!! What a relief! (...until the next check-up!). For those of you just diagnosed with colorectal cancer or undergoing treatment, I want you to know that we can beat this. In fact, I have beaten cancer twice, now and once as a teenager (it was bone cancer).

I would also like to share with you that the side effects radiation has had on my bowels is starting to diminish (I posted in early April about my recurrent diarrhea). The biggest challenge I am now facing is premature menopause (I'm only 31). My oncologist is confident, however, that my ovaries will start functioning again on their own, but of course there are no guarantees. Have other women with abdominal radiation encountered this side effect? How have you coped with it?

snow

Postby snow » Fri May 26, 2006 12:21 pm

Congratulations on your great news! I hope to be able to say that I am cancer free in the future.

I have not had any radiation but I do have some experience with early menopause. After being on chemo for nearly a year, my ovaries were looking quite cystic in scans. I had a liver RFA surgery last month. Because I was "opened up" in the OR, the surgeons told me that if my ovaries looked suspicious, they would remove them. And that is what happened...they are gone. I am 38 and have two children...so that wasn't an issue for me. So far, I have not had many side effects. I have had a couple of hot flashes. I follow a vegan diet with lots of soy products, so I think that helps.

I flipped through a book called Sudden Menopause that deals with early menopause brought about by surgery, medication,etc. That might be helpful to you.

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Sat May 27, 2006 1:44 pm

i'm about to start radiation next week, but last week i just officially became sterile!
heh...guilt free sex from now on?!?
anywho, i had a 'laproscopic ovarian transposition with tubal ligation' to get my ovaries out of the path of radiation so i WON'T become menopausal at 25.
now...of course, there's a chance it won't work..it's kinda an experimental thing. but i figured it was worth the shot.
they didn't have to do the tubal ligation, but teh surgeon mentioned that they coudl move them even further out of the way if they cut the fallopian tubes.
so i'll have hormone production, but just not able to get pregnant. not so bad to me.
i would never want to pass on what i have anyway (i have colorectal cancer due to a genetic disorder that i have at least a 50% of passing on. those odds just aren' tgood enough for me to risk it)

though they did say if down the line i change my mind i can harvest my eggs, have em fertilized and implanted in my uterus...so i guess it's an option.
i figured i'd just adopt.

so i really hope this all works and is worth it.

good luck!
this time next year i wanna be saying i've been cancer free for months!

keeping fingers crossed.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Sun May 28, 2006 10:09 pm

Hi..I'm very happy that you are cancer free..Stay healthy..Audrey

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”