illiostomy, the bag and gas

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Fred.R

illiostomy, the bag and gas

Postby Fred.R » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Hey;

So, in the world of "farts are funny," maybe this is a topic that'll bring a smile and get me a little information as well.

Finally home, making my own meals. Adjusting to the bag and all of it's squirty, noisy delights.

I'm trying to figure out:

1) If I knew I had something to do, how many hours before that should I cease eating so I didn't have to worry about going off like a bag pipe?
2) What foods do you find make your Stoma go off like a car horn, so they can be avoided on days that matter?

My work affords me the luxury of working from home, so I only have to really concern myself of it during specific moments.

Thanks.

- F

P.S. As soon as I understand the terminology of the signatures, I'll create it. I'm early in the game and don't have a long story to tell yet. Thank you for your help.
DX: 6/20
Surgery: 8/10
Emerg. Surgery: 8:/13
Diagnosed Stage II, t3N0m0
No Chemo
Takedown 11/1

BrownBagger

Re: illiostomy, the bag and gas

Postby BrownBagger » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:41 pm

The thing I learned about my digestive system with the bag is that you have absolutely no control over the flow, or the noise or the timing of the noise. At least I never could control it.

However, be aware that your stoma is still pretty swollen, and it will make less noise as it gets unpuckered, for lack of a better term.

The usual suspects cause gas. All the good stuff--beer, beans, etc. You just have to experiment and see what works best for you.

Good luck. It's an adventure, but I found over time that I could streamline the process and get a bit more control over my digestive life.

Here's a tip: eat rice or some other soluble fiber for a nice, clean side-out. As for gas, get used to getting up a couple times a night to vent the bag.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

ab123

Postby ab123 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:41 pm

I completely avoided carbonated beverages for 6 months, which I think helped a lot. Also don't chew gum. I also didn't eat or drink anything after 8pm - approximately 2 to 3 hours before I went to sleep. That helped get through the night without getting up.

I never tried it, but I read somewhere that eating marshmallows causes the whole system to stop emitting anything 45 mins after you eat them, which can be handy for bag changes. And of course there's Immodium if you really need to cut gut activity so you can do a customer presentation or something.
Aug 2012: RC DX Stage IIIC, T3N2M0 by MRI - 38M
Fall 2012: Chemorad
Nov 2012: LAR - Path report: 0/13 LNs, tumor reduced to "microscopic foci"
Jan-Apr 2013: 8 rounds FOLFOX
May 2013: Ileostomy takedown, port removal
July 2013 (and since): NED!

rickker20

Postby rickker20 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Lets not forget the Goodyear Blimp or The Hindenburg. That's when you go to sleep and your bag is full of gas and it's about to exploded when you wake up in the morning.
Rectal Cancer 6/09
Stage 1 T2
9 days of 5fu
2 days of Avastin
5 weeks of Radiation
Lar 9/09 failed
Pull thru surgery 10/09
Rectum Removel,38 lymph nodes remove all cancer free
6 weeks of 5fu & Folfox
Bag reversal 6/10 & Port remove
Cancer free

debzak

Postby debzak » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:28 pm

The marshmello thing works. I eat 3-4 marshmellos 290 minutes or so before each system change over.
Other than that there is no control. I get the most gas at night and often have to get up around 2-4am to empty the bag for fear of it bursting.

After a while it just becomes part of life...comical...my daughter, who is 11, is told to leave the room when she needs to pass gas, but not me :)

Debbi
2/27/12 dx rectal cancer (stage III)
3/6/12 44th B-day
3/19/12 Oxi & 5-FU (8 rounds)
7/9/12 chemo-rad
11/5/12 LAR surgery temp ileo
1/20/13 4 rounds Xeloda
5/13 multiple liver mets
6/4/13 HAI pump at Sloan
KRAS wild & BRAF mutation found :(

Cj51

Postby Cj51 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:54 pm

If you can take some probiotics, that will help with gas as well. I can no longer have dairy, so yogurt is off the menu, but I do take a strong probiotic pill and find that it really make a difference with regards to the gas.

Cj, having a beer as I type this. :-)
DX Stage IIIb RC, T3N1M0, April 2010, 51
6 wks Xelox/rad 6/10
resection, temp illeostomy 8/10 Complete response!
12 rounds FOLFOX for clean up 9/10, Allergic to Oxi, started Xeloda only 12/10
Ileo takedown 9/28/11
4/2020 NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”