YACC retreat

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
elise

YACC retreat

Postby elise » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:04 pm

I just got home from a 5 day adventure retreat in Newfoundland (Canada) with YACC (Young Adult Cancer Canada) and I have to share!

The goal of this organization is to connect young (18-40 years) adult survivors during and after treatment. This specific retreat is a 5-day adventure in Newfoundland: zip lining, sea kayaking and long hikes (over 22km total). The goal is to push yourself physically and connect and chat with others who are going through the same stuff as you are. Very little was guided conversation and instead conversations grew organically as we hiked or hung out at the fire pit or after dinner. Heck, I had an amazing convo with 2 room mates in the pitch dark after we had all tucked ourselves into bed. No topic was off bounds and people were incredibly transparent and understanding.

For me, it meant that for the first time in my life I was surrounded by people my age who are survivors. We were the majority by far in any room! Having had colon cancer, I usually hang out with people in their 60s and 70s. They are wonderful people and have helped me tremendously but some of the issues were just not quite the same (kids, fertility, start of a career, retirement planning...)

YACC was started by a 2-time cancer survivor and operates out of St-Johns Newfoundland (Canada). They do a conference ever year as well as 2 retreats and several local programs across the country.

I highly encourage people to check it out!
http://www.youngadultcancer.ca

Cheers,
Elise
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

justin case

Re: YACC retreat

Postby justin case » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Elise,
I read you often and find no need to respond as you have kept yourself well informed. I have met several people your age, or 10 years older, who were very happy and outgoing in my normal travels. On more than one occasion, after going to get gas or just menial tasks, I have looked tired or frustrated, only to find the person concerned with my condition, had CC in their own past life. I think you will do well in your ongoing endeavors, and doing the things to stabilize your own well being, will help you and others in the future. Thank you for continuing to be around all us old folks, as your good news and good nature, is refreshing.
Warm regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

skypup

Postby skypup » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:09 pm

So glad the trip was a great one! This geezer is very happy for you! :wink: (Not 60 yet, though!)

Steph20021

Postby Steph20021 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:09 am

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to share that my partner and I attended the YACC ReTreat Yourself this fall in Cobourg, Ontario and had the best of times. Everyone gets to attend a retreat yourself once, and it's at no cost. I found it so transformative to connect with 35 peers for 4 days. Our roommate was a girl being treated at my same hospital, also stage 4 colon cancer, and she lives just a few blocks from me. No coincidence here in YACC assigning us the same room.

I would recommend YACC to any young adult dealing with cancer as a patient or supporter. I'm hoping I'll be well enough to do the YACC Adventure in Halifax sometime like you did Elise. Elise, are you involved in the Toronto local life chapter?
DX 1/31/14 @ 33- SPS-T4a(invades visceral peri), N2a(6/106 LN), M1a(ovary) (Stage 4a) MSS; BRAF V600E
2/1/14-subtotal col, lost R ovary, temp ileo
3/14-9/14- folfox; sepsis
11/14-CT/PET: L ovary met, pelvic met, (?)ghost liver met(?)
12/14-folfiri -13 rds kept me stable from 3/15-6/15
8/15-HIPEC, NED
09/15- cea 0.9
05/16- recurrence in abdo wall and lymph nodes
01/17- pulmonary embolism
02/17- 1 wk radiation to abdo wall
08/16- on folfiri
01/18-folfox
11/18- Beacon trial-encorafenib & cetuximab

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”